Styling Exterior styling

Calipers colour paint help please

Search this Thread

Old 21 April 2011, 07:57 PM
samopangy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calipers colour paint help please

Hi guys, new here, I just got a set of 4 pot subaru calipers for front, my car is blue and with black wheels, thinking to paint them into gold, or STi pink which ever. But the problem is, I have noticed, there are no one selling the heat paint (high temp paint) from any paint shop in Manchester, Can anyone gives a bit help please?

Or what else colour you think would be look nice on the calipers please?

Many thanks.

Samo
Old 21 April 2011, 09:31 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

You don't need high temperature paint, Hammerite Smooth is as good and has no problems with the temperatures it will reach. A small can will easily do four calipers. I used a 1/2" and a smaller child's paintbrush for mine. It also comes in sprays, but I prefer the brushing stuff for coverage.

It can be brushed on, producing a VERY good finish, with few, if any brush marks left.
You DO need the correct thinners for it, though, the normal ones won't touch it.

I did two coats of red at 30 minute intervals, fine in this warm weather.
It comes in lots of colours, but NOT STi pink.
Old 21 April 2011, 09:36 PM
weescoobyman
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by alcazar
You don't need high temperature paint, Hammerite Smooth is as good and has no problems with the temperatures it will reach. A small can will easily do four calipers. I used a 1/2" and a smaller child's paintbrush for mine. It also comes in sprays, but I prefer the brushing stuff for coverage.

It can be brushed on, producing a VERY good finish, with few, if any brush marks left.
You DO need the correct thinners for it, though, the normal ones won't touch it.

as the man says hammerite smooth does the job and you can get it in gold
Old 21 April 2011, 09:41 PM
samopangy
Scooby Regular

Nice one, mate! Thanks for the quick reply here, I have asked this same question in Legacy forums, but 3 days no reply...

So are you sure i dont need the high temp paint please? just get the normal one from Halford would do? I am thinking to having gold finished, the sti pink just my gf's idea, lol. I think pink would be a bit more stand out, but think again, the pink wont go with the blue. So you are saying brush would be better for it, not the spray cans, right?

Thanks again, mate!
Old 21 April 2011, 09:47 PM
weescoobyman
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by samopangy
Nice one, mate! Thanks for the quick reply here, I have asked this same question in Legacy forums, but 3 days no reply...

So are you sure i dont need the high temp paint please? just get the normal one from Halford would do? I am thinking to having gold finished, the sti pink just my gf's idea, lol. I think pink would be a bit more stand out, but think again, the pink wont go with the blue. So you are saying brush would be better for it, not the spray cans, right?

Thanks again, mate!
yup you dont need high temp and yeah you can get it in halfords did mine 6weeks ago and reslults were tidy with brushing it on depends how steady your hands are if you plan to do it you can repaint the subaru name or on fleabay you can get the subaru logo to stick on the raised logo on the calipers
Old 21 April 2011, 09:58 PM
samopangy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by weescoobyman
yup you dont need high temp and yeah you can get it in halfords did mine 6weeks ago and reslults were tidy with brushing it on depends how steady your hands are if you plan to do it you can repaint the subaru name or on fleabay you can get the subaru logo to stick on the raised logo on the calipers
Nice! I will get them tomorrow, and I will put some pics up after i finished them, and i will put that "SUBARU" letter in black, or red, let me see how it goes, we got a long weekend here, lol.
Old 22 April 2011, 09:45 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Clean 'em up well with a wire brush, maybe even scrub up with water and detergent etc before painting. Blow off any dust, and allow to dry if water has been used.

Brushing is fine: through the wheel, from normal viewing distance, you cannot see any brushmarks. No masking needed, just a reasonably steady hand. Don't worry too much about the rears, do the bits you can see from the front

Two coats, the second after about 30-40 minutes.

DO use Hammerite SMOOTH, not the Hammered finish. And as stated, you do need Hammerite thinners too, or the brush will set between coats

If yours have raised letters, you can brush paint with a kid's paintbrush, or paint a block of wood thickly and press it lightly on to the letters. Some people have used a sponge, but again, remember that it will be viewed THROUGH a wheel from ten feet away, etc, so doesn't have to be perfect from a foot away

Last edited by alcazar; 22 April 2011 at 09:46 AM.
Old 22 April 2011, 01:26 PM
samopangy
Scooby Regular

Clean 'em up well with a wire brush, maybe even scrub up with water and detergent etc before painting. Blow off any dust, and allow to dry if water has been used.

Brushing is fine: through the wheel, from normal viewing distance, you cannot see any brushmarks. No masking needed, just a reasonably steady hand. Don't worry too much about the rears, do the bits you can see from the front

Two coats, the second after about 30-40 minutes.

DO use Hammerite SMOOTH, not the Hammered finish. And as stated, you do need Hammerite thinners too, or the brush will set between coats

If yours have raised letters, you can brush paint with a kid's paintbrush, or paint a block of wood thickly and press it lightly on to the letters. Some people have used a sponge, but again, remember that it will be viewed THROUGH a wheel from ten feet away, etc, so doesn't have to be perfect from a foot away
That is very very helpful, mate, I am making my way yo halford in a bit.

Many thanks.

Samo
Old 23 April 2011, 07:10 PM
samopangy
Scooby Regular

ok, i got mine caliper done in gold yesterday, and just fitted them today, looks better than the old 2 pots now!

from the start, i cleaned them all up.

girlfriend's hand, women are better for this kind of small painting, cos they do their nails all the time, lol.

one is done, waiting other one.

Ok, they are on my leggy now!

Just changed the rear Keavla pads and new discs as well, done the back one in gold to match up.
Old 23 April 2011, 07:22 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

They look spot on! Told you hammerite was the biz!
Old 23 April 2011, 07:25 PM
samopangy
Scooby Regular

They look spot on! Told you hammerite was the biz!
I know you are right now. Cos some ppl in the paint shop keep telling me to get the high temp paint, that is why i never can find some!
Old 23 April 2011, 08:22 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

They don't know, though. Hammerite is fine up to quite high temperatures. If they got THAT hot you would boil off your brake fluid.

Look good, don't they?
Old 24 April 2011, 12:26 AM
samopangy
Scooby Regular

They don't know, though. Hammerite is fine up to quite high temperatures. If they got THAT hot you would boil off your brake fluid.

Look good, don't they?
Very nice here, thanks again, mate. Looks like I have to stay in the scoobynet more now. lol
Old 01 May 2011, 05:26 PM
snakecharmer
Scooby Newbie

Looks great, though if the red is the brand/company i think it is (GW), then it is water based and wont last! you would be better off getting oil based!
Old 01 May 2011, 11:18 PM
samopangy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by snakecharmer
Looks great, though if the red is the brand/company i think it is (GW), then it is water based and wont last! you would be better off getting oil based!
Lol, never mind, i found them in my model box, but i did test them in heat and water, they still alright tho.

Never mind, if they come off, i will get them back on again.
Old 02 May 2011, 08:57 AM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

Did the lettering on mine with an old ink roller and Hammerite white.

Took 20 seconds

Old 02 May 2011, 09:08 AM
samopangy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by his-n-her-scoobs
Did the lettering on mine with an old ink roller and Hammerite white.

Took 20 seconds

Share some photos, mate.
Old 02 May 2011, 10:52 AM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

Will do, expecting visitors will do later