Notices
Styling Exterior styling

Removing spats - Rear bumper and below front quarter on sill.

Search this Thread

Old 18 August 2008, 04:12 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Removing spats - Rear bumper and below front quarter on sill.

Is this a good idea? I'm getting pretty pissed off with having to have them resprayed on a regular basis due to stone chips. Was thinking I would just have a sprayers take them off and respray the rear bumper/sills that they were attached to, then fit proper mudflaps to the car to avoid stone chips as much as possible. Plus mudflaps look great IMO.

I wouldnt want to get a bodyshop to remove them with the intention of rubbing down the crap underneath and respraying, if there could be damage underneath, or if it could turn out to be a bigger job than I first thought.

Here's a photo of what I'm talking about - the little mudgaurd bits that are stuck on.

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to help

Alan

Last edited by GlesgaKiss; 18 August 2008 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Added Photo.
Old 24 August 2008, 10:35 AM
richiewong
Twatful

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen cars with spats and mudflaps fitted together, you could do that
Old 24 August 2008, 01:38 PM
oli_w
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i removed them on my scoob, its pretty easy just a few of the bolts are a little awkward to get too. the only trouble i had was when i removed them the glue has left a few marks on the wing, but a little effort with t-cut and no problems. the rear bumper spats are a pain unless u can remove the rear bumper as the two bolts holding the spats are right up underneath, then u will need to fill the holes unless u were thinking of putting a lower lip on
Old 26 August 2008, 08:46 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I've actually had a look at the rear bumper properly, and the screw holes where you would fit mudflaps are knackered...so that's the end of that!

The only thing that appears to be holding the spats on now is glue. I've just had the back and front bumper sprayed, and the front spats. Was looking fantastic, but again, the spats are starting to get stone chipped already: and that's only about 500 miles since they were sprayed!

richiewong - I did think about that at first, but the problem was going to be getting screws long enough to go through both the spat and bumper.

oli_w - Yeah i've had a look underneath when the guy was spraying them...some bloody mess!