Styling Exterior styling

Arrgh! Car accident, help with prices

Search this Thread

Old 22 October 2007, 11:55 AM
simog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arrgh! Car accident, help with prices

Not but 3 days ago I had an accident in the scoob One of those easy to do accidents where you are waiting at a junction, the person in front pulls away, you look at the traffic coming and then bang....Realising that the person in front has actually stalled their car and now you have re-styled the front of yours!

Never realised just how much glass is on the front of a scoob until is is nearly all smashed!

Any how, opinions please. I have a classic phase 1 wrx which has suffered a totalled front bumper, N/S fog / Indicator (brand new crystal ones too) and headlight smashed, crease dented bonnet and crease dented and buckled N/S wing!!! I don't know if it is worth either getting all the original parts and replacing them (garage says they would have to buy new, can you still get phase 1 parts new?) or getting a phase 2 face-lift done instead.

Any one have ideas on how much it would cost to face-lift? I know I need new grille, headlights, bonnet, bumper and indicators but have no idea on the cost new! Also, how do you get round the turbo cooling if you face lift a phase 1 as there is a duct from turbo to the scoop on mine which isn't there on a facelift. Do I need to buy a heatsheild for the turbo then?

Also (sorry for all the questions) my panels were aluminium so would a steel bonnet make too much of a difference to the performance or would I not notice?

I hope you guys can give me advice, I want my scoob back as soon as poss. Missing it already and I am having to drive the wifes volvo!!
Old 23 October 2007, 03:44 PM
simog
Scooby Regular

Well the bodyshop has given a quotation on repair and the total is £2200!! I bought the car for £2500!! Looks like my pride and joy is shotly to become a write off

I can't believe it, the damage really doesn't look that extensive and I know I could repair it myself with second hand parts for a fraction of that price but the insurance company will only let new parts be put on the car....so frustrated

Well I may be in the market for a new scoob soon then. I'm not giving up on the car I always wanted, just a shame because I put so much effort into this one and now I may have to watch as they take it away

Typical, no accidents for such a long time and then I get suckered for one that is so stupid and so easy to do. Ah well, we live and learn I guess.
Old 23 October 2007, 03:58 PM
satancom
Scooby Regular

You may be able to buy it back from the insurance compny and repair it yourself

I had a car accident in november last year and it took 6 months for it to be setled. They came out and valued my car (was still drivable) and eventually wrote it off, gave me the value of the car back in cash (well £50 more than i paid) and let me keep the car.

The car in question was a 1990 Toyota Carina estate.. I sold it for £65 to a bloke who did banger racing, so all in all i actually made money when the car was written off by some plank being silly. Result
Old 23 October 2007, 04:46 PM
simog
Scooby Regular

If the car is written off by the insurance company, where does it stand when I want to insure it again should I choose to buy it back off them? Are they likely to turn it away or hike the premium on it etc?..? I would love to keep my car if it were written off but if it were to be more hassle than it's worth I may well just get a replacement one.
Old 23 October 2007, 07:31 PM
bekee
Scooby Regular

dont think u can put a "write off" back on the road legally. y dont u try a car breakers 2 get some good second hand parts? surely u know some1 that could fit them for you without goin thru a garage? just a suggestion. its never ur own driving u have 2 worry about. its other ******** who couldnt drive a nail in2 a loaf
Old 24 October 2007, 09:19 PM
loughy2007
Scooby Newbie

mate i done exactly the same thing and roughly the same damage by the sounds of it for all the parts i paid just shy of 600 quid from various. apparently they dont do the classic style bonnet any more so i face lifted mine got most off the kit from the usual auction site including the crystal lights. if it is a write off it will only be a cat c probs. so when the work is done you wil need to get it VIC tested from VOSA to get it reclassified which wont be a problem as you are already the owner.
Old 25 October 2007, 10:40 AM
simog
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys! £600, wow that's a good price. Beats £2200 hands down, although that's not hard!

If I got the parts it would be easy enough for me to fit but I have had this argument with the insurance company and they wont let me go through the second hand part route, nor let me fit them. Grrrr!

Was thinking of getting all the parts from htautos as they have some nice 22b style items that would make the car look pretty damn nice, and it would be far cheaper than these guys are quoting. I will let them know that phase 1 parts can't be sourced new so perhaps that will give me the leaway I need.

I wish I could just go outside the insurance company, but things have moved on a bit far now and I can't back out, plus now I have a courtesy car and the garage have mine. They gave me the worst example of a Ford Ka that money could buy too!!!

What do you guys think to the htautos guys? I know they are well known now for the 22b wide arch kit, but do you rate their other parts?
Old 26 October 2007, 12:34 PM
darrens_here
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bekee
dont think u can put a "write off" back on the road legally. y
Not sure thats correct. A car is a "write off" once it is deemed not economically viable to repair, that doesnt mean its not road worthy.

I stand to be corrected, but I think it all depends on how the classification of the write off. Cat D are usually where it costs more to repair than its worth, and as such are o back on the road ((may need some kind of certificate to prove roadworthyness)).

If for example, like your the damage is only "skin deep" and not worth the insurance company to repair, they write it off, but its fine for the road.... possibly.
Old 26 October 2007, 09:36 PM
richtypera
Scooby Regular

hello all just to clear this up the cat of the write off all depends on each insurer.

cat d is when the value of repair is 70% of the value of the car and cat c is 100% or structure damage

both can be put back on the road but but a cat c will need a vic check and will show on the log book as damaged. both will show up on a hpi check.
not all insurence companys will sell you the car back the best option is to claim on the car and dont have it back or get the bits from brakers yards which will cut the cost alot.