Styling Exterior styling

Caliper colour - Red 04 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 19 September 2007, 09:18 PM
kgt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caliper colour - Red 04 WRX

Ive checked the Search and cant find any specific advice on how to paint calipers for someone who isnt confident enough to remove them from the car. (coz I wouldnt get the damn things back on)

Is it really possible to paint them in situ or am I being numb ?

Also any recommendation on a colour / paint make ?

I'm not sure about doing them red on a red car, fancied something a little different. Any pics / advice would really be appreciated.
Old 19 September 2007, 09:42 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Mine were sprayed in situ mate then lacquered after applying the Brembo stickers. Cost £10.00 for each calliper.

View My Scooby for pics < < < <
Old 20 September 2007, 08:46 AM
kgt
Scooby Regular

That looks tremendous mate. When you say sprayed in situ, was that by yourself ? If so, is it that difficult ? Any chance of a quick step by step guide ? I dont mind having a bash with a bit of guidance. Anything is going to look better than the current "cast iron look" on the subaru standard units Ive got now. cheers
Old 20 September 2007, 10:12 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

1. Remove wheel, (jack car up first )

2. Wire brush caliper. You don't have to get it shiny, just get the loose rust and muck off.

3. Paint it with Smoothrite, (Hammerite's smooth cousin). Use a medium and a smaller brush. I have one about 1/2" and a child's painting brush. Slip paper between caliper and disc pads if you aren't good at painting.

4. Clean brushes with Hammerite thinners. Wait half an hour. Repeat. Wait further half hour.

5. If required, paint "SUBARU" lettering with the small brush, (or see below), in a contrasting colour. IT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE BRILLIANT> At normal viewing distances, it'll look OK, believe me.

6. If not confident with a small brush, either dab paint on with a small sponge, or paint a small block of wood thickly with the required colour and quickly press it to the letter, or the whole word. Repeat if any gaps.

7. Replace wheel, and move on to next wheel. I have done all four of mine in an afternoon, it's quite relaxing as you keep breaking for a drink, etc.

Cost? Smoothrite is around £5 a smmall tin, plenty to do four wheels. It comes in many colours and metallics.

My red car has red brake calipers.

Old 20 September 2007, 01:39 PM
kgt
Scooby Regular

top info alcazar, thanks - and believe me, its best to tell me things like "jack car up first" as I have been known to make very easy jobs..very hard.

This might seem like a stupid question, but did you just paint the side of the caliper thats visible, or did you cover the top and sides to, or can you actually get to the whole thing with wheel off ?

As for colour I am undecided (I'd even considered gold), I just want to do something in contrast with the car, will probably end up black, but it will be better than current. Unfortunately I cant stretch to a set of new brembo's.
Old 21 September 2007, 10:34 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

You can easily get to enough of the caliper to paint the bits you can see.

The only thing I'd say about gold, is, don't use Hammerite HAMMERED enamel gold. The Hammered enamels somehow seem to attract muck and it's hard to get off. Smoothrite doesn't. I THINK they do Smoothrite gold, I've seen black, white, red, blue, (two shades), yellow, green, (two shades), silver.

Alcazar
Old 22 September 2007, 06:30 AM
kgt
Scooby Regular

thanks mate. I'm away for the next few weekends, but I'll certainly get round to this in the not too distant future and I'll post some pics of the results.
I like the thought of black & white, but as a sunderland supporter, its against my religion.