Styling Exterior styling

Spraying side skirts on 02 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 30 June 2005, 06:03 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spraying side skirts on 02 WRX

I have got the job of spraying these for a mate. Now, I dont have any problem with 2k'ing them, its just that we dont have the time or patience to flat them off. So whats the best way of ensuring that the paint sticks without peeling chipping off?

Cheers,

Wayne.
Old 30 June 2005, 06:07 PM
monty baber
Scooby Regular

Not in a great position to help but I did have mine sprayed by a local bodyshop and apparently its all down to the primer to get a smooth and good finish

But then again I could be talking B**lox
Old 30 June 2005, 06:29 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

i save a lot of messin around and got a pair already done off ebay.

That doesnt really help you does it ?
Old 30 June 2005, 06:40 PM
scooby jay
Scooby Regular

Smile spraying plastic skirts

The only way to keep the paint sticking on plastic skirts and the like is to plastic prime , plastic primer has a flexible addative which allows for movment , just painting side skirts with no primer will flake off because top coat be it 2k solid or 2k clear over base dose,nt adhere to plastic material all very well. the best way to get a proper finish is to plastic prime ,then a good coat off 2k primer to cover the textured effect on most plastic bumpers and skirts flat this down then apply top coat you will then get a fantastic finish with no textured effect under the paint
Old 30 June 2005, 09:21 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby jay
The only way to keep the paint sticking on plastic skirts and the like is to plastic prime , plastic primer has a flexible addative which allows for movment , just painting side skirts with no primer will flake off because top coat be it 2k solid or 2k clear over base dose,nt adhere to plastic material all very well. the best way to get a proper finish is to plastic prime ,then a good coat off 2k primer to cover the textured effect on most plastic bumpers and skirts flat this down then apply top coat you will then get a fantastic finish with no textured effect under the paint
Thats the answer I needed. I hadnt thought about using 2k primer to loose the texture.

What plastic primer though?
Old 30 June 2005, 10:19 PM
scooby jay
Scooby Regular

Smile

The plastic primer we use consists of plastic primer and plastic primer hardner to activate the primer it works in the same way as activating 2k solid or 2k clear overbase any good car refinishing supplier should have what u need as i said giving a couple of coats of high build primer over the plastic primer will get rid of the textured effect and once flatted will give a nice flat textured free finish ready for top coating, if u need any advice pm me happy to help
Originally Posted by Welloilbeefhooked
Thats the answer I needed. I hadnt thought about using 2k primer to loose the texture.

What plastic primer though?
Old 01 July 2005, 08:12 AM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby jay
The plastic primer we use consists of plastic primer and plastic primer hardner to activate the primer it works in the same way as activating 2k solid or 2k clear overbase any good car refinishing supplier should have what u need as i said giving a couple of coats of high build primer over the plastic primer will get rid of the textured effect and once flatted will give a nice flat textured free finish ready for top coating, if u need any advice pm me happy to help
Cheers for that!!
Old 01 July 2005, 04:33 PM
anthscooby01
Scooby Regular

I did mine using Halfords Plastic Primer and their Pro mixed WR blue paint. Had no problems at all. No chips anywhere after 3 months!!
Old 01 July 2005, 09:08 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by anthscooby01
I did mine using Halfords Plastic Primer and their Pro mixed WR blue paint. Had no problems at all. No chips anywhere after 3 months!!
What clear coat did you use? The Halfords stuff dulls after a while and is alot softer than 2k.