Styling Exterior styling

Calling bodywork experts

Search this Thread

Old 15 December 2004, 01:10 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling bodywork experts

After a bit of advice please. After my recent coming together with a hedgerow I'm trying to decide if I can get it sorted without an insurance claim. I have a mate who is co-proprieter of a good quality bodyshop and they have given me a reasonable quote for the repair but what they didn't include was several bits of trim I've scuffed.

Bit hard to see from the photo but it's the roof strip and all the plasticy black bits around the outside of the windows. The scratches/scuffs seem to be merely on the surface layer. Is there anything I can use to get them out, i.e. an abrasive polish or possibly some very fine grit wet and dry?

The "insurance approved" place has quoted well over double what my mate suggested but has included all new bits of trim. I'm sure I could get them from the breakers but I gather the roof strip is not easy to replace as the clips for it are set in the bonding for the windscreen and rear screen.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Graz
Old 15 December 2004, 07:05 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

You could TRY a mildly abrasive polish like MER and plenty of elbow grease, or alternately, one of the surface polishes from a bodyshop type place, T-cut is similar.

Try buffing the scratches out, by hand or with a felt mop on a dremel, etc.

I removed a quite deep scratch from a caravan polycarbonate window using just hand power and T-cut or similar, but that's quite hard plastic.

Just depends how long you want to spend on it vs how MUCH you want to spend?

Alcazar
Old 15 December 2004, 10:54 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheers Alcazar,

I think I'll give it a go with T-Cut or similar, nothing ventured nothing gained as they say. Dremel sounds like a plan if it's hard work

Any other tips people?

Graz