Notices
Styling Exterior styling

Removing labels from visors and B pillar

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 2004, 09:37 AM
gDallasK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just bought a new WRX Wagon in Black Mica. I'm very pleased but the overall appearance is cheapened by all the badges and labels Subaru have stuck all over it. In particular I think that the labels on both sun visors make the interior look like a taxi. And I can't get on with the column of warning labels stuck ono the B pillar which you see every time you open the door. Do the instructions for removing dealer badges I found here :

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?threadid=127966

work on these? I'm worried in particular that if I heat up the sun visors even with a hair drier I could damage them. Anyone know what works here?
Old 28 January 2004, 10:01 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

I've always found that sticky labels are removed by spraying with WD40, or similar, rubbing it in, then leaving for 15 minutes or so, and pulling the label off once the glue softens.
Any residue is also removed the same way.

(If you'r worried about spraying WD40 in your pride and joy, spray it on your finger, and rub it into the label.)

Once the label is off the WD40 can then be wiped away with paper towel, finishing with an interior cleaner if you think it necessary.

Very shiny labels are best pulled off first to reveal the paper backing for the WD40 to soak into.

Alcazar
Old 28 January 2004, 10:10 AM
gDallasK
Scooby Regular

Thanks Alcazar, I'll give WD40 a try just as soon as the temperature here climbs back to the right side of freezing.
Old 28 January 2004, 10:59 PM
PC555
Scooby Regular

gDallasK

Would be interested in how you on mate. I agree with your initial post, they spoilt the interior.

IMHO my MY03 STi is stunning inside ... until the eye catches the crappy stickers that is!

PC555
Old 02 February 2004, 08:51 AM
gDallasK
Scooby Regular

Update on my label removal fetish :

B pillar labels all gone (both sides). Most just peeled off but I had to use some Mykal Sticky Stuff Remover to get the residue from a couple off the paintwork.

Also removed a total of four usightly fabric labels from rear seat belts (carefully cutting them off above the seem that they're sewn into), the tacky stuck-on "AWD" badge from the rear window and a "Subaru OK" sticker from the near side rear door window. The dealer stickers are gone too.

I've also removed the S U B A R U lettering from the tailgate - looks much better without it. But be warned - it takes ages to get the glue off. I found that a combination of a little heat (I used a Black & Decker Paint Remover) and petrol did the trick. However - the heat needs to be carefully controlled, don't get too close to the paint or you run the risk of blistering it and KEEP THE PETROL AWAY FROM THE GUN OR YOU RISK HAVING A FIRE! I first applied some heat to warm up the glue and then swabbed the gluey residue with a rag dipped in petrol - after removing the heat source and then scraped the glue off with my finger nails. I managed to get all the glue off without scratching or damaging the paintwork at all - but my finger nails are a real sight!

However, after taking the drivers side sun visor off and getting a good look at it with a bright light and a magnifier, I think I'm coming to the conclusion that the hideous label is bonded to the plastic material with which the visor is covered. I tried a few experimental scrapes with a Stanley Knife (gently, so as not to damage the visor) but couldn't lift the edge of the label at all.

Has anyone found a way of removing this label or, alternatively, does anyone know of a source of badge-free replacement visors?
Old 02 February 2004, 10:37 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

Could you use black shoe dye to colour it in?

Alcazar
Old 03 February 2004, 08:33 PM
gDallasK
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up Seat belt label colouring

I used black permanent ink felt pen to blacken the little white bits left showing. Looks okay - and probably won't come off on passengers clothes!
Old 05 February 2004, 12:21 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

I looked at removing the sun visor sticker and it looked like it was heat bonded to the visor, so I left it alone.
I think it would of turned out very bad.

Dipster