Notices
Styling Exterior styling

colour coding skirts [removing] and moulded bit behind rear doors?

Search this Thread

Old 19 October 2003, 07:32 AM
UHF
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm just getting a bodyshop to colour code the skirts, rear quarter skirts and some moulded splash guards on my 99 turbo, but I notice that there is a moulded black peice of plastic coming up from the skirt about 6" behind the rear doors, how do I remove this?

Also anyone got any useful advice on removing the side skirts, the guy is coming to pick the bits up Monday!
Old 19 October 2003, 11:07 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

Sideskirts: undo the bolts underneath, undo a couple of clips in the wheelarch area, and peel off the skirts.
Take off the black plastic strip that goes at the top, and preserve as much of the adhesive on it as you can. Refit it when you put skirts back.
Meanwhile, chuck the bolts in the nearest bin, and buy some stainless replacements from the nearest bolt and nut stockist, (Yellow Pages). Pennies, well spent!
Rear skirts: undo two clips, (I think), under the skirt, then pull the whole skirt backwards along it's line. It slides off, but is liable to be tight!!

If you knacker any clips, don't panic, they are availble from Scoob dealers on order: mine came in 2 days!, and dirt cheap.

Make sure that whoever is spraying 'em for you, does it with a proper plastic primer, or it'll all flake after a few months!

As for the little black bit you mention, I believe it's stuck down, but I left mine black and it looks OK.
Alcazar
Old 19 October 2003, 11:54 AM
UHF
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks, whats this black strip all about that you say take off and preserve adhesive on?
Old 19 October 2003, 01:09 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

On mine, there is a soft plastic strip, about 2mm thick, along the TOP of the skirts where they meet the body....a sort of seal.
The guy that sprayed mine advised me to take it off, as it was too soft to spray. I did, and put it back as it was: black. It looks OK.
Alcazar