Black Metal Trim Around Rear Windows

Search this Thread

Old 19 September 2002, 10:06 AM
Gavin G
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Hi all

I have a MY98 Impreza Turbo 4 dr and I was wondering how difficult it would be to remove these bits? The one on the passanger side has become very faded and the black has started to come off (I think may have been caused by someone using T-Cut or polish or something like that before I got the car). Looks terrible

I can't think of any other way to describe what I'm talking about (sorry no pics ) but they start at the top of the rear doors and run up along the edge of the glass of the rear doors. They also sort of sit on top of the rubber window seal.

I was thinking that if I had them removed that perhaps I could maybe have them re-painted, or covered with black vinyl etc. but I'm cautious about removing them in case I damage them or would be unable to put them back on again or maybe damage the rubber window seal and have leaks.

Any advice greatly apperciated.

Thanks in advance

Gavin
Old 19 September 2002, 10:13 PM
barge
Scooby Regular

get some of the colour majic car polish in black

cheers
Old 23 September 2002, 10:15 PM
Bulletproof
Scooby Newbie

Not a Scooby owner, but the bits you're talking about are finished in EP or powder coat on most cars. The EP (don't ask for the expanded version...) can fade under UV and wear off if aggresively polished.

Seal retainer trims are made from thin metal and will bend and dent easily - you need to know how they're attached to get them off without wrecking them.

Sometimes something like Autoglym vinyl and rubber care can bring up EP / powder finishes.

I used to work for a company that made similar parts and they're cheap to make, it just a case of how much mark up? it might pay to buy new ones