Notices
Styling Exterior styling

High Level Spoiler Fitted But...

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2014, 04:01 PM
WRX 2312
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Level Spoiler Fitted But...

Hi guys

Finally got my high level spoiler back from the paint shop and fitted it this afternoon.

Now I know the genuine STI spoiler has 10-12 bolts, etc, etc mine has only the original 4 bolts where the WRX spoiler sat; it is a very good fit, quite heavy but the boot stays open...my main issue at the minute is... due to only having 4 bolts should I be worried about it flying off when driving??? Might sound a silly question but rather be safe than sorry
Old 02 October 2014, 04:08 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

I don't know what the risk of it flying off is, but Subaru thought it was worth fitting more than twice that number of bolts.
If you don't have the facility for the extra bolts already built in then you could look at bonding the spoiler on for safety's sake.
Old 02 October 2014, 04:17 PM
WRX 2312
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blue by You
I don't know what the risk of it flying off is, but Subaru thought it was worth fitting more than twice that number of bolts.
If you don't have the facility for the extra bolts already built in then you could look at bonding the spoiler on for safety's sake.
It seems pretty secure, all 4 bolts are tight but I did some reading and caught some horror stories of other owners having their spoiler fly off at speed, there are no additional bolt holes so I am considering taking a drive to halfords to get some bonding..however, I am screwed if I ever want to take it off
Old 03 October 2014, 09:30 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

"Bond" it with this: http://www.thecaravanshop.co.uk/work.../prod_513.html

Non-setting mastic, cleans up with white spirit and sticks like **** to a blanket.
Old 09 October 2014, 06:22 PM
kevfawcett
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WRX 2312
It seems pretty secure, all 4 bolts are tight but I did some reading and caught some horror stories of other owners having their spoiler fly off at speed, there are no additional bolt holes so I am considering taking a drive to halfords to get some bonding..however, I am screwed if I ever want to take it off
You've answered your initial question

Why not just get a STi boot lid? There will be plenty available and won't break the bank
Old 09 October 2014, 06:45 PM
WRX 2312
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kevfawcett
You've answered your initial question

Why not just get a STi boot lid? There will be plenty available and won't break the bank
Bit pointless now..the spoiler I bought doesn't have additional bolts across the centre and I don't really want to be drilling new holes in the spoiler so if it was a case of buying an STI boot I might as well sell the current spoiler and then buy an STI spoiler with boot, which isn't cheap and then another respray. Been good so far tightened the bolts after the first drive when it was fitted and has been strong since