Sport General sport discussion

Moto GP - Crutchlow to Ducati

Search this Thread

Old 01 August 2013, 10:26 PM
Donnie Brasco 46
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Moto GP - Crutchlow to Ducati

For those of you that follow Moto GP, it's said that Crutchlow has signed a 2 year deal with the career breaking Ducati.

Wrong move IMO. Should've stayed with Yamaha for next year and then moved to Suzuki when they return in 2015.

Mercenary springs to mind. He's chooses £'s over success. The first time on the Ducati and he'll know what he's let himself in for...
Old 01 August 2013, 10:31 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Well it should provide some spectacle, along with Valentinos comeback

For crissake you could be suffering F1.
Old 01 August 2013, 10:37 PM
Dave Y
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 133 Likes on 97 Posts

Big mistake.
Scott Redding will be top Brit soon.
Old 01 August 2013, 10:49 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't blame him for taking a factory ride and Ducati is perhaps the most evocative name in motorcycling, but - IMO, this has disaster written all over it.
Good luck to him though.
Old 01 August 2013, 11:04 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Audi starts next year with them so it'll be a clean slate so to speak so time will tell
Old 02 August 2013, 12:05 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You never know the fubar ducati chassis n handling might suit him and he may do a "stoner" and dominate probably not though.
Old 02 August 2013, 07:25 AM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

I didn't think there was the option of staying at Yamaha. Jorge and Vale on main factory bikes next year so bob hope there and Smiths already a signed Tech 3 rider and isn't Pol Espagaro rumoured to be getting the other bike?

You never know he might tame the Duke

I see Sam Lowes is now a potential Tech 3 rider.....

Nik

Originally Posted by Donnie Brasco 46
For those of you that follow Moto GP, it's said that Crutchlow has signed a 2 year deal with the career breaking Ducati.

Wrong move IMO. Should've stayed with Yamaha for next year and then moved to Suzuki when they return in 2015.

Mercenary springs to mind. He's chooses £'s over success. The first time on the Ducati and he'll know what he's let himself in for...

Last edited by nik52wrx; 02 August 2013 at 07:28 AM.
Old 02 August 2013, 11:21 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by Donnie Brasco 46

I think calling him a mercenary is a bit out of order

He knows he's only got a limited shelf life at this level, he knows he's good enough for a factory bike, and he also knows he isn't going to get one out of Yamaha, which leaves his options rather limited.

He'll never get a Honda because Marquez appears to be the real deal, Pedrosa is part of the furniture, and Crutchlow is probably too big to fit on one anyway.

There's no saying the Suzuki will be any good if and when it finally does arrive, let's face it, it was crap when they left

Which leaves the apparently poisoned chalice of Ducati, which when all is said and done is a quick bike, people have won races and championships with it. You never know, maybe Hayden leaving will be a help, Crutchlow & Dovi together (backed by Audi money now remember) could bring a new direction with the development

I say good luck to him

Christ knows, he's going to need it

Last edited by CrisPDuk; 02 August 2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02 August 2013, 12:15 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Two words - Career Ending
Old 02 August 2013, 12:48 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

have to say i think this will signal the end of his career as well, the bags a sack of crap, he'd be faster on a push bike.

Cal what have you done
Old 02 August 2013, 12:52 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

There is an interesting article in Bike Magazine this month, it being an interview with Alex Briggs(?).
Without saying too much, but reading between the lines, there is nothing wrong with the Ducati bike, or wouldn't be, if only the riders/spanners were able to do what they wanted with it rather than having some internal Ducati politics holding it back.
Old 02 August 2013, 02:26 PM
DarrenSTI
Scooby Regular

Factory ride yes....but this bike just can't get sorted:-(
So would Hayden be leaving or Dovi?

It was said at US race Bradel may be out of the LCR Honda team, said Cal would suit it there 99.9% factory Honda.

See how it pans out soon I guess.

Last edited by DarrenSTI; 02 August 2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old 02 August 2013, 02:27 PM
Donnie Brasco 46
Scooby Regular

Yamaha did offer Crutchlow another year at Tech 3 with a contract directly with Yamaha (so factory parts) and they were even gonna chip in to improve his wages. The Suzuki recently tested with all other teams at Catalunya and was 8th quickest overall with de puniet riding who isn't that great. Suzuki were also rather good before they left Moto GP too, way faster than the Ducati and up with the Hondas and Yamahas.

Mercenary is a little harsh, but he's going from a potentially winning bike to one where he's got no hope of winning but with better wages. It's kinda like leaving arsenal to join notts county just because they have a new owner with plenty of mullah.

I would point out that I do like Crutchlow, he's fast and days what he is thinking. But purely IMO (and that of some others on here) I think that he's jumped out of the frying pan straight into the fire.....
Old 02 August 2013, 02:28 PM
Donnie Brasco 46
Scooby Regular

Ps. Hayden is leaving ducati
Old 02 August 2013, 03:19 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

gutted. loved watching him creap up on the aliens over the last two seasons and now unless he can Stonerise the thing or there is a fundamental change to the Duke it's game over.

http://www.calcrutchlow.com/News/Cal...570-82913.html
Old 02 August 2013, 04:03 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Well I called it wrong when I said Lewis's move to Mercedes in F1 was a massive mistake. However I feel the same with Crutchlow. I really hope Audi come in and sort out whatever internal wranglings are messing up the Ducati, however, even the legend that is Rossi couldn't get anything out of it. Seems like the only one who could was Stoner and he rode everything like he didn't care if it threw him off. Crutchlow doesn't bounce very well so can't afford a bad off which would knacker his career.
Old 02 August 2013, 06:14 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

I watched an interview recently with Rossi and he explained that a Japanese factory team will welcome as much criticism as possible, as they see it as a way of improving.
Whereas Ducati saw it as insulting and instead blamed the rider when the bike wasn't right.
I can't see this being a good decision for Cal, I don't see why he was unhappy on the tech 3. He only needs to see how far back Dovi has dropped to see which direction he will also go.
But, as already said Yam will never get rid of Rossi/Jorge and Marquez is as mad as a box of frogs and Pedrosa is championship winning material.

Suzuki were awful when they left MotoGP also.
Old 04 August 2013, 02:19 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Going off what's been said by Rossi, Stoner, Bayliss and others, the Ducati factory mentality would seem to be similar to that of pre Ross Brawn (and post, seemingly) Ferrari, i.e; you're paid to drive/ride, so do it

Hopefully Audi coming in will change all that, they're making big changes behind the scenes already if reports are to be believed
Old 04 August 2013, 02:29 PM
stedee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kwik
I watched an interview recently with Rossi and he explained that a Japanese factory team will welcome as much criticism as possible, as they see it as a way of improving.
Whereas Ducati saw it as insulting and instead blamed the rider when the bike wasn't right.
I can't see this being a good decision for Cal, I don't see why he was unhappy on the tech 3. He only needs to see how far back Dovi has dropped to see which direction he will also go.
But, as already said Yam will never get rid of Rossi/Jorge and Marquez is as mad as a box of frogs and Pedrosa is championship winning material.

Suzuki were awful when they left MotoGP also.
other riders did comment that the suzuki was actually pretty good but they didnt have any decent riders
Old 04 August 2013, 02:31 PM
stedee
Scooby Regular

i think it could be a good move tbh. obviously a gamble but where else could he have gone
Old 04 August 2013, 05:31 PM
DarrenSTI
Scooby Regular

Ducati is such a strong brand, can't see how Audi can over turn this so much to change their Italian ways.

Doesn't Rossi have a 2yr contract?, so one year left.....Cal to stay at tech3 next year...move to factory Yamaha 2015....he's done plenty and more so to show case his skills on gp bikes.

Either way Cal Crutchlow is a fantastic rider, just want him on a top notch bike/team.
Old 04 August 2013, 09:56 PM
stedee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DarrenSTI
Ducati is such a strong brand, can't see how Audi can over turn this so much to change their Italian ways.

Doesn't Rossi have a 2yr contract?, so one year left.....Cal to stay at tech3 next year...move to factory Yamaha 2015....he's done plenty and more so to show case his skills on gp bikes.

Either way Cal Crutchlow is a fantastic rider, just want him on a top notch bike/team.
thats what cal wanted but yamaha didnt want to sign up for that so far in advance, know one knows what rossi will be doing then or pol espargaro come to think of it.
Old 05 August 2013, 09:38 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Good article by Azi

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/motogp/23550565
Old 06 August 2013, 08:40 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

hmmm, the bit that catches my eye in that is the senior team management changes. Its a dog of a bike, if they can accept being told that and action it instead of blaming the rider (think rossi has proved its not the rider lol) then they may get somewhere, if not Cals career is over.
Old 06 August 2013, 09:26 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Not a good move for Cal
Old 06 August 2013, 09:27 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by urban
Not a good move for Cal
You should have organised his move if you could do better
Old 06 August 2013, 10:25 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
You should have organised his move if you could do better
Eh?
I never said I could do better?

Just look at the history of Ducati - Rossi, as good as he was, never really came close to winning with them, but thankfully he managed to get away from them in the end.
Old 06 August 2013, 10:56 AM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

So after reading Cals articlas it seems that Lucy probably made the decision to go to Ducati
Old 06 August 2013, 06:14 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
hmmm, the bit that catches my eye in that is the senior team management changes. Its a dog of a bike, if they can accept being told that and action it instead of blaming the rider (think rossi has proved its not the rider lol) then they may get somewhere, if not Cals career is over.
"Melandri, who partnered Stoner in 2008, cut short his two-year Ducati deal at the halfway point by mutual consent after failing to get to grips with the GP8. As Stoner rode it to six victories and a further five podiums that year, Melandri was told the problem was not the bike and was duly sent to a psychologist. "
Old 07 August 2013, 09:59 PM
stedee
Scooby Regular

lol and that is true