Sport General sport discussion

End of Scottish Football?

Search this Thread

Old 26 August 2011, 08:06 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face End of Scottish Football?

On a terrible night for Scottish football, Rangers exit the Europa League after only drawing with Maribor, and are joined in going out of Europe by both Celtic and Hearts.

We all knew that Celtic, Rangers, and the rest couldn't hack it in our Premiership or Championship Leagues ..... they may just be mid-table fodder for our League 1.

No Scottish Football Team will be represented in any European Competitions ...... oh dear, what a pity
Old 26 August 2011, 08:08 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Which only makes them as good/bad as Liverpool i guess
Old 26 August 2011, 08:11 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pslewis

No Scottish Football Team will be represented in any European Competitions ...... oh dear, what a pity
Hardly a loss for football.
Old 26 August 2011, 08:20 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

On a terrible night for Scottish football, Rangers exit the Europa League after only drawing with Maribor, and are joined in going out of Europe by both Celtic and Hearts.

We all knew that Celtic, Rangers, and the rest couldn't hack it in our Premiership or Championship Leagues ..... they may just be mid-table fodder for our League 1.

Was there a point to your thread?
Old 26 August 2011, 08:40 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by drb5
Was there a point to your thread?
A point of discussion really ....
Old 26 August 2011, 09:08 PM
TinyTim
Scooby Regular

This isnt half as 'Baity' as your usual threads Pete, you're slipping in your old age
Old 26 August 2011, 09:09 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

You should have seen the first draft which was put before the Mods!!
Old 26 August 2011, 10:12 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Celtic, the first BRITISH club to win the REAL European cup..........years before this second chance rubbish was introduced, and when ONLY the actual LEAGUE champions, or the team who had WON the cup the year before, were allowed entry. None of this European League watered down cr@p we have now, with teams as low as 5th and 6th in some leagues gaining places.
Old 26 August 2011, 10:15 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

So, even with all these crappy teams we have now .... Celtic and the rest still can't make it past August? Say's it all about the state of Scottish football, sadly
Old 26 August 2011, 10:24 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Celtic, the first BRITISH club to win the REAL European cup..........years before this second chance rubbish was introduced, and when ONLY the actual LEAGUE champions, or the team who had WON the cup the year before, were allowed entry. None of this European League watered down cr@p we have now, with teams as low as 5th and 6th in some leagues gaining places.
A period i like to call "back when football was crap"
Old 26 August 2011, 10:28 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

A point of discussion really ....
So what do you believe the solution and route cause is ?
Old 26 August 2011, 10:56 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I think the solution is for Scottish Teams to get better players.

And the root cause is that most decent players wouldn't choose to play football in Scotland.
Old 27 August 2011, 01:15 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Seriously?
Old 27 August 2011, 02:43 AM
daviee
Scooby Regular

Celtic and Rangers both have 45,000 + (circa £20M) season tickets, take away Mr. Murdoch’s sky (circa £60M+) money where would the premiership be ?, both Celtic and Rangers have excellent youth development in Lenoxtown and Murray park facilities. They have the foundation to bring through and develop young players. One such player just sold for £27,000,000, Aiden McGeady.

Where will it all end when Man city and Chelsea are paying £100,000 + a week wages to so called football players. It would only take a rule change tomorrow from FIFA to have no more than 3 foreign players in your team and we would see a shake up in the world’s football.

An interesting fact about the winning Celtic team in 1967 as well as the first British football team to win the European cup all the players and the manager were born within a 25 mile radius of Celtic park in Glasgow, I don’t think we will ever see this again.

So Scottish football may be bruised, but it will come back it was only in 2003 and 2008 where Celtic and Rangers both reached the Final of the Uefa cup albeit beaten finalists, but this was done with limited budgets.

So Mr Lewis to get back to you original statement, the team FC Sion feilded against Celtic in the first leg had four illegible players, in other words they cheated so we will know in Tuesday if they will be thrown out of the cup. Therefore a scottish team may still be in.

Just remember its all about the money the top wage at Celtic or Rangers is circa £20k a week, not £70k plus,a bit like saying how come your oil burning Honda is not as fast as a GTR, gutted I rose to the bait with this rant.
Old 27 August 2011, 11:29 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jayallen
A period i like to call "back when football meant something, and players and managers weren't overpaid, overhyped prima-donnas, and clubs obeyed the rules, no matter who their manager was, (are you reading this you red-nosed tw@?), and the European CHAMPION'S cup was just that........for the CHAMPIONS of each league, no-one else, and the FA Cup hadn't been de-valued by one team thast dropped out one season in order to try and win something else............"
Editted for accuracy
Old 27 August 2011, 12:48 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by daviee
Celtic and Rangers both have 45,000 + (circa £20M) season tickets, take away Mr. Murdoch’s sky (circa £60M+) money where would the premiership be ?, both Celtic and Rangers have excellent youth development in Lenoxtown and Murray park facilities. They have the foundation to bring through and develop young players. One such player just sold for £27,000,000, Aiden McGeady.

Where will it all end when Man city and Chelsea are paying £100,000 + a week wages to so called football players. It would only take a rule change tomorrow from FIFA to have no more than 3 foreign players in your team and we would see a shake up in the world’s football.

An interesting fact about the winning Celtic team in 1967 as well as the first British football team to win the European cup all the players and the manager were born within a 25 mile radius of Celtic park in Glasgow, I don’t think we will ever see this again.

So Scottish football may be bruised, but it will come back it was only in 2003 and 2008 where Celtic and Rangers both reached the Final of the Uefa cup albeit beaten finalists, but this was done with limited budgets.

So Mr Lewis to get back to you original statement, the team FC Sion feilded against Celtic in the first leg had four illegible players, in other words they cheated so we will know in Tuesday if they will be thrown out of the cup. Therefore a scottish team may still be in.

Just remember its all about the money the top wage at Celtic or Rangers is circa £20k a week, not £70k plus,a bit like saying how come your oil burning Honda is not as fast as a GTR, gutted I rose to the bait with this rant.
So, in summing up then:-

Scottish Teams cannot keep their best players?

English Teams steal them.

Scottish football is doomed unless it catches up with the English Teams philosophy of paying for the best so that they can win major silverware.

Let's be honest here .... no Scottish Team could entice, say, a Brazilian Player to the cold, god forsaken place we call Scotland. Therefore Scottish Teams do need to develop their own talent. Then, if this talent is any good - it disappears to better Teams and better Climes.

Last edited by pslewis; 27 August 2011 at 12:49 PM.
Old 27 August 2011, 01:01 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Population of England is circa 50 million.

Population of Scotland is crica 5 million.

In my eye's, England have a much larger chance of producing decent players. That's not even me getting into the money available to Scottish teams.
Old 27 August 2011, 01:09 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I'm not denying that they cannot compete with the English Teams .... but, at the moment, they seem at a rather low ebb.
Old 27 August 2011, 01:17 PM
daviee
Scooby Regular

So, in summing up then:-

Scottish Teams cannot keep their best players?

English Teams steal them.

Scottish football is doomed unless it catches up with the English Teams philosophy of paying for the best so that they can win major silverware.

Let's be honest here .... no Scottish Team could entice, say, a Brazilian Player to the cold, god forsaken place we call Scotland. Therefore Scottish Teams do need to develop their own talent. Then, if this talent is any good - it disappears to better Teams and better Climes.
The top English clubs dont pay their players take Man Utd the gate money of £33M that would only pay the wage of their top 6 players the likes of Sky revenue multiplied by the Sky coverage for their advertising sponsors and the Champions league money actually pay their players.

Juninho Paulista ... seem to remember him playing for Celtic a few years ago, and for the £26k a week that he was on I think it took the sting out of playing football in a Scottish winter.

So just thank your lucky stars that Rupert Murdoch is bank rolling the English premiership, not the fans unless you like watching 6 a side football.
Old 27 August 2011, 08:44 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

The top English clubs dont pay their players take Man Utd the gate money of £33M that would only pay the wage of their top 6 players the likes of Sky revenue multiplied by the Sky coverage for their advertising sponsors and the Champions league money actually pay their players.

Juninho Paulista ... seem to remember him playing for Celtic a few years ago, and for the £26k a week that he was on I think it took the sting out of playing football in a Scottish winter.

So just thank your lucky stars that Rupert Murdoch is bank rolling the English premiership, not the fans unless you like watching 6 a side football.
You only have to look at Real/Barca to see how much better off Man United would be without Sky bankrolling the EPL

Yes but the above teams have a GTR sized wage bill compared to the Honda one of Maribor/ Fc Sion.

Also the 3 foreigner rule would ruin Celtic, have you seen their squad? In fact it would probably ruin most clubs if it was made to be! (not that it could ever happen).

Don't blame the state of Scottish football on the EPL, The english top flight has always been one of the top leagues in Europe regardless of the money from SKY. Where are all these players from the excellent academies of Rangers/Celtic you speak of? Mcgeady £27m and I thought Torres was a Ripoff

16 non Scottish players in the Celtic squad and 17 in the Rangers squad.
Old 27 August 2011, 09:36 PM
daviee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by azz250478
You only have to look at Real/Barca to see how much better off Man United would be without Sky bankrolling the EPL

Yes but the above teams have a GTR sized wage bill compared to the Honda one of Maribor/ Fc Sion.

Also the 3 foreigner rule would ruin Celtic, have you seen their squad? In fact it would probably ruin most clubs if it was made to be! (not that it could ever happen).

Don't blame the state of Scottish football on the EPL, The english top flight has always been one of the top leagues in Europe regardless of the money from SKY. Where are all these players from the excellent academies of Rangers/Celtic you speak of? Mcgeady £27m and I thought Torres was a Ripoff

16 non Scottish players in the Celtic squad and 17 in the Rangers squad.
Sighs.... I am not blaming sky or anything elce its just that i am worried where the game is going ?, as it stands celtic has £500,000 debt that will be clear with the £1.7M ( 10% over what they sold him for £10M) that they will get from the McGeady transfer and Rangers have zero debt.

As for the academies they have sold off most of the up and comming players that are comming through because up here Celtic and Rangers can not afford to lose any league game .The 2010 -2011 season Ragers won it only losing 5 games and Celtic lost just 4 games, so they will buy ready to rock players, they cant afford to take a chance on young players.

FC Sion bought the 4 players when they were going in to liquidation FFS. As for Aiden McGeady http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/footbal...86908-22778973
Wish we could say the same for Torres .

The main point I was making is, its not about the punter going through the turnstyle any more, I bet all the Man Utd fans thought going to a football game on a Monday night rather than Saturday 3:00 pm kick off was to suit them they have been sold out by the club to a armchair supporter.
Old 27 August 2011, 09:43 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jayallen
A period i like to call "back when football was crap"
Or, when football was played by proper men, not these overpaid poofters nowadays.
Old 31 August 2011, 09:08 PM
kewe
Scooby Regular

Domestic Scottish football is probably in it's worst state ever both financially and with the standard of players available. Every team is having to cut it's cloth in the SPL (Even Celtic and Rangers) just to survive at present. Crowds are dwindling because of over inflated prices at the gate plus there is no real money coming in from TV coverage. Of course we can no longer entice any top class players to come play in our league and there are no knights in shining armour ready to step in and splash the cash on any SPL teams.

What we will do is concentrate more on developing our youth. Our young players will now get their chance to play and develop. Young talent that was previously bench warming due to 2nd rate foreign players. As always Scotland will produce the best talent in smaller numbers - This was highlighted in the Spurs V Hearts game where our youngsters actually showed up better than anything Spurs had to offer. Of course our national team will also benefit in the long term and the current Scottish National team actually looks quite exciting for the first time in a long time.

I would say enjoy your success with English clubs (and foreign players) and keep spending your 390+ million pounds this transfer window. The clock is ticking my friend