Notices
Sport General sport discussion

Ryo Ishikawa - Absolute Top Bloke !!

Search this Thread

Old 01 April 2011, 05:31 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up Ryo Ishikawa - Absolute Top Bloke !!

I saw this is the wee small hours on the news, basically playing for free this year and adding to the pot from his own pocket for every birdie he hits, how many sports stars would go this far that it would mean them having to subsidise their own career, not that many.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...844771,00.html

Teenage sensation Ryo Ishikawa has pledged all his winnings from this season to the Japanese earthquake relief fund.

The 19-year-old, who has quickly established himself as the biggest name in Japanese golf, will also donate £750 for every birdie he makes during the year.

Ishikawa has already earned £3.3m from the Japanese Tour since turning professional three years ago, and has a string of lucrative sponsorship deals.

"I know recovery in the quake-affected areas will take a long time - I'd like to strive together with the victims in recovery efforts," he said.

"I have enough money to spend for my golf. I still have savings - I believe this is the most positive way for me to spend money."

The earthquake struck his home country while he was playing at the WGC-Cadillac Championship in Miami, where he finished 42nd after an opening round of 65.

"It's beyond being a distraction for me - I'm worried for the whole country of Japan," he said at the time.

"The fact that I was finally able to communicate with my parents did help me feel so much better. I just tried to focus, but it is a battle out there for me.

"Sendai is quite far way from where my parents live. From the Tokyo area it's some 250 miles away.

"It is not possible to block something of this magnitude out completely, but I understand that in the position that I am, together with the other star athletes from Japan and other sporting areas, we can provide encouragement and hope for the people of Japan by myself doing the job."

Old 02 April 2011, 09:07 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree, great young lad, who is going to be a heck of a golfer too.
Old 02 April 2011, 10:15 AM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great golfer too Good on him, pity there are not more people like him today.