Notices
Sport General sport discussion

are fotty refs going down the pan?

Search this Thread

Old 09 March 2011, 01:36 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts
Default are fotty refs going down the pan?

seems to be more and more of the managers and players ranting at teh refs, no idea if its justified or not, but then you see things like this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-12682897

what was the ref thinking, should have shook the players and hand and blown the wistle for hte game to continue rather than send him off. was the ref enjoying watching the man run round and was disapointed he was caught?

but is reffing in footbal in general going down hill?
Old 09 March 2011, 05:20 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shouldnt have been a sending off.....he wasnt the last defender
Old 09 March 2011, 10:11 PM
Little Miss WRX

That certainly could have been dealt with a lot better in my humble opinion.

Tidgy, I think a lot more players and managers are getting away with ranting at the referees. A lot of people seem to forget that despite the EPL referees being professional, there is that human aspect where 100% isn't going to be achieveable and the referee view is so much different to the camer view.
An incident we get one angle and one full speed review to make a decision and then no more than 3 seconds to process it and apply the LOTG accordingly. Spectators have different views and the benefit of replays. I am not trying to make excuses but sometimes I think not everyone realises that with us it's a one shot thing and unfortunately we don't always get it right.
Old 10 March 2011, 08:39 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Little Miss WRX
That certainly could have been dealt with a lot better in my humble opinion.

Tidgy, I think a lot more players and managers are getting away with ranting at the referees. A lot of people seem to forget that despite the EPL referees being professional, there is that human aspect where 100% isn't going to be achieveable and the referee view is so much different to the camer view.
An incident we get one angle and one full speed review to make a decision and then no more than 3 seconds to process it and apply the LOTG accordingly. Spectators have different views and the benefit of replays. I am not trying to make excuses but sometimes I think not everyone realises that with us it's a one shot thing and unfortunately we don't always get it right.

o don't get me wrong, your never gonna get rid of that human factor, bias form one side or the other or genuin mistake.

But seems to be that football is becoming more and more contravertial and refs are making moe mistakes (alothough its prob cos of how much TV coverage there is for replays). I'm not a big fan and don't realy bother with it much, but when you see huge mistakes, such as the mentioned england goal, then things need to change.
Old 10 March 2011, 09:25 PM
Little Miss WRX

I don't disagree with you there, I think in the top flight we do need that goal line technology. In a game where one goal can make a massive difference I personally think that FIFA need to step up and bring the game into the present.