Notices
Sport General sport discussion

Why do football refs run away when they make an unpopular decision ?

Search this Thread

Old 09 March 2011, 09:56 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do football refs run away when they make an unpopular decision ?

After watching the guy get sent off in the Dorchester Town game last night (circumstances were quite funny though), the ref was running away from the players like a girl. Why dont they just stand still ? Admittedly if I had 10 angry players running at me, I might not feel like standing there but surely the refs are protected by their colleagues on the pitch, and the FA in case they get shoved about. Doesnt happen with Rugby refs.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...nf/9418641.stm in case you didnt see it

Dave
Old 09 March 2011, 03:22 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by druddle
After watching the guy get sent off in the Dorchester Town game last night (circumstances were quite funny though), the ref was running away from the players like a girl. Why dont they just stand still ? Admittedly if I had 10 angry players running at me, I might not feel like standing there but surely the refs are protected by their colleagues on the pitch, and the FA in case they get shoved about. Doesnt happen with Rugby refs.....

Dave
I think you answered your own question. Some of these players can lose their brains on the pitch, not to mention the managers after the game!

Les
Old 09 March 2011, 03:42 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by druddle

Dave
It is because rugby refs are like rugby players where as football refs are big pansies just like football players!!!
Old 09 March 2011, 05:18 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wurzel
It is because rugby refs are like rugby players where as football refs are big pansies just like football players!!!
Oi why are you in the footy forum?
Old 09 March 2011, 10:01 PM
Little Miss WRX

I am one to stand my ground when I make tough calls, but there have been a few occasions when on a send off, the rest of the team have decided to try and take things into their own hands and standing there like an idiot with a red card in your hand does nothing for your safety.

As for the FA protecting us, that was the best joke I have heard in a long time.........we get sweet FA in terms of sanctions against players who attack/harrass referees.
Old 10 March 2011, 08:40 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
Oi why are you in the footy forum?
Hmm good question! I know I didn't start in here
Old 10 March 2011, 08:42 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by Little Miss WRX
standing there like an idiot with a red card in your hand does nothing for your safety.
Surrely that has to be rubbish! what are the players going to do to the REF? nothing I will bet because it is not worth the risk of battering the ref no matter how tempting it is!

Last edited by Wurzel; 11 March 2011 at 03:48 PM.
Old 10 March 2011, 09:28 PM
Little Miss WRX

Wurzel, unfortunately having been assaulted by a player (fortunately it wasn't serious and other officials got in the way) and witnessing assaults from players plus team officials and spectators......it isn't rubbish and is a really sad part of our game.
Fortunately it is few and far between, but from last season alone I can tell you of at least 7 separate occasions of minor assault on a referee and that isn't state wide either.
There was even a grand final that ended at half time after the referee was assaulted for doing the right thing and sending a player off for serious foul play.