Notices
Sport General sport discussion

Scrap offside - good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 02 March 2010, 10:37 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

How would the game cope with the influx of females wanting to play and watch, if there were no offside rule they didn't understand, to put them off?

I vote against!

Old 02 March 2010, 10:51 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

April 1st is it?

Joke idea.

I think the term 'goal hanger' would be used a lot.
Old 02 March 2010, 11:50 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

it would remove the art of defending.

I'm not even going to go near the Hockey comment....
Old 02 March 2010, 02:15 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Ok I'll end this now.... as an Arsenal fan think which recent team you played who benefits most from one of the few times in a game you cant be offside. Now imagine the tactic they use for that situation used all the time from any dead ball kick.
Old 02 March 2010, 03:09 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

And Rooney because he has huge ears.

Oh............and Terry because he's just a ****
Old 02 March 2010, 10:01 PM
Little Miss WRX

It'd be so much easier to officiate.

However, there'd be fewer breaks in play for me to catch my breath.
Old 04 March 2010, 12:21 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
Ok I'll end this now.... as an Arsenal fan think which recent team you played who benefits most from one of the few times in a game you cant be offside. Now imagine the tactic they use for that situation used all the time from any dead ball kick.
Spot on. With the amount of flight you can get on the ball a % tactic will be to pepper the box with long ***** from all angles, mainly straight from keeper or back 4.
Old 04 March 2010, 12:24 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

The back four would have to congregate around the six yard box, not venturing forward of the 18 yard box. Long ball would ensue, Plymouth would rise to the top of the tree. Simples.

I still vote against. Lets revert to the offside rule before all the 'interfering with play', 'in line is offside/onside', 'daylight between the defender and striker' rubbish, and take it back to brass tacks.
Old 04 March 2010, 12:37 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

This has been semi-experimented before in the non-leagues with the 'kick-in' - basically you could kick the ball in if you wish when you had a throw in. Funnily enough since you couldn't be offside from the throw/kick in, they just piled the box when within range. Scrapped at the end of the season.
Old 04 March 2010, 01:30 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

I'd like to see the "not interfering with play" part scrapped.

As the late, great Brian Clough said, "If he's not interfering with play, what's he doing on the pitch?"
Old 04 March 2010, 01:40 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
I'd like to see the "not interfering with play" part scrapped.

As the late, great Brian Clough said, "If he's not interfering with play, what's he doing on the pitch?"
+1. It just muddies the issue, you are either on or off, and if that decision cannot be made in a split second efficiently, with the aid of the linesmen(or whatever they are called) then the law needs to be changed.

I dont mean the Andy Gray type of offside decisions, ie. 20 looks at the monitor using slide rules, pythagoras theorem, then abusing the ref because he didnt get it right.
Old 04 March 2010, 02:47 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay m A
This has been semi-experimented before in the non-leagues with the 'kick-in' - basically you could kick the ball in if you wish when you had a throw in. Funnily enough since you couldn't be offside from the throw/kick in, they just piled the box when within range. Scrapped at the end of the season.
Just as I said would happen.
Old 04 March 2010, 06:01 PM
M4RKG
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Terrible idea! Will just turn into a game of rugby where you cant use your hands!

Gone will be the days of pass and move... Hello the hell of constant long *****
Old 04 March 2010, 09:54 PM
Little Miss WRX

One thing I don't like is the allowance of interpretation of what is considered "interfering with play" that leads match officials to be split on some very close calls.

For example, the Ireland/France game where two players were in offside positions, however because the ball sailed over one of them albeit only about 6 inches over his head as he jumped, any assistant who would have flagged that would have been crucified for his/her decision. There are some officials in discussions I have had since who have said it should have been given as offside and would have prevented the contraversy over the goal and others who say, despite being extremely close to play and defenders he didn't interfere directly and hence did not commit an offence.

A consideration that I would offer up is that within X distance the player is considered to be interfering with an opponent or defender as opposed to being allowed to stand a meter away with hands innocently up in the air pretending not to be there.
Old 04 March 2010, 09:56 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by **************
Sky Sports | Football | News | Blatter could scrap offside rule

I think it would be a good move purely for the fact it stops perfectly good goals being disallowed by mistake. If it also encourages more attacking football that can only be a good thing.

On the flip side I can see a case for some teams not being so high up the pitch to combat the lack of offside rule and actually being even more defensive than they are now.

What do you think?
Is this another rule that goes against Arsenal Wenger???????
Old 05 March 2010, 09:19 AM
Gav
Scooby Regular

It's a load of bollox, close the thread
Old 05 March 2010, 09:25 AM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by M4RKG
Terrible idea! Will just turn into a game of rugby where you cant use your hands!

Gone will be the days of pass and move... Hello the hell of constant long *****
Once again, I agree. Instead of looking for a pinpoint pass, the guy on the ball will look for a big open space to drop the ball into, while his oppos will sprint into said space to pick it up. And so it continues, until the ball is in the back of the net.

Was it Platini who came up with this? He is to football what Shipman was to life expectancy in the aged.
Old 05 March 2010, 10:54 AM
Myles
Scooby Regular

I think the clue is in the link in my first post
Blatter wont be the prime mover on this, he will have been given 'expert' consultation by some idiot like Platini. The same Platini who wanted the game to be non-contact, and the goals to be bigger. Fool.
Old 05 March 2010, 01:13 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Oh I don't disagree on Platini, w4nker of the highest order and can't stand him, plus he hates Arsenal/Wenger
Platini is the enemy of football as we knew it.
Old 06 March 2010, 08:58 AM
beef-on-the-bone
Scooby Regular

was nothing wrong with the original rule, if you are in an offside position, you're offside!!!
Old 06 March 2010, 09:14 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by beef-on-the-bone
was nothing wrong with the original rule, if you are in an offside position, you're offside!!!
I disagree. It was too restrictive and stopped some perfectly good and great goals. I do however think the rule as it is now has gone too far. As a defending team you're at the mercy of the refs interpretation. The ball can be played towards a player in an offside position but he doesn't touch it and a midfielder runs through onto the ball as a defender you have to play the ball as if the offside player is active because if it's only half a yard or so how are you to know he's not onside.

The original rule was black and white which obviously means you can stop all the discussions regarding if a player was off or not but it also means that if there's a good attack and a player who has made a run earlier in the play and is getting back onside but the ball is played down the opposite side of the pitch the attacking team is offside. That to me is too restrictive and breaks up the play too much.

They got it right when they allowed play to continue if the player was moving back towards an onside position and not interfering with play ie was in a clear offside position that the defence could clearly know this and thus treat the player as inactive. This has a grey area for the teams and ref but it's far less than with have now which has a huge grey area. Unfortunately I think a lot of the time those making the rules and enforcing them haven't played the game.
Old 07 March 2010, 09:05 AM
beef-on-the-bone
Scooby Regular

^^^^^^^

didn't mind that, it was the 'inactive' player that has caused the grey area when they started involving 2nd phase of play

sure, if he's retreating from an offside position then the defending team can see that, but during his retreat if he rejoins the attack during the 2nd phase he becomes onside???

they need a black and white rule as each ref would have a different interpretation, if it's the same rule they should make less mistakes............
Old 07 March 2010, 09:54 PM
Little Miss WRX

didn't mind that, it was the 'inactive' player that has caused the grey area when they started involving 2nd phase of play

sure, if he's retreating from an offside position then the defending team can see that, but during his retreat if he rejoins the attack during the 2nd phase he becomes onside???
It is something we argue about because at the end of the day he in a lot of ref's opinions has STILL gained an advantage from being in an offside position to start with. But as you say, the second phase of play allows him to be onside and the FIFA interpretation binds us to allowing play to continue.

However, taking it back to the old interpretation will stifle things too much in my opinion, having just got used to the adaption of Law 11 and believe me it does take some time and guidance for us to get it right. On my recent assessments I have been advised that I have had good judgement on offside calls, everything else is ****e, but at least I get the offsides right.

Quick Reply: Scrap offside - good or bad?