Notices
Sport General sport discussion

20 bleeding million!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....

Search this Thread

Old 29 July 2008, 02:42 PM
chris1scouser
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20 bleeding million!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....

Keane to liverpool, any thoughts? i think its bizarre.
i'm just me though.
there are better strikers available for 20 mill aren't there
Old 29 July 2008, 03:02 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Better proven Premiership strikers with Keanes professionalism? I'd like to see that list.

Don't get me wrong I don't for one second think that Keane is necessarily going to get us the title, but he's a player that ticks all the boxes for the type of player required. You have to see the whole picture; where that player fits into the team; what he can provide that was previously lacking; whether he's proven & professional.

£20M is an absurd price, but it todays absurd footballer valuations its smart money. I can't think of any other Premiership striker that ticks all of the boxes.

He could have splashed out on other foreign players, but it would have been a bigger risk.
Old 29 July 2008, 03:41 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

there's a dutch guy who's had some premiership experience and was flogged for under £10mil ...Ruud something or other, but he's rubbish as he only won the golden boot in La liga since
Old 29 July 2008, 03:52 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Fat Boy
there's a dutch guy who's had some premiership experience and was flogged for under £10mil ...Ruud something or other, but he's rubbish as he only won the golden boot in La liga since
£12.3m is not under £10m Besides, prices have skyrocketed in the last 2 years. Now 4 years Keanes senior and tainted goods

Edit: And when exactly did he win the golden boot?

Last edited by DJ Dunk; 29 July 2008 at 03:57 PM.
Old 29 July 2008, 04:59 PM
chris1scouser
Scooby Regular

Default ability

he's a good player and extremely professional, i agree.
for me he won't fit in. for me torres needs a heskey, sutton, sheringham type of player to partner him. keane has got guile and craft yes but i just don't think he is the right type of player.
i will stick my neck out here and mispell his name but i think this will be a big season for nicklas bentner he looks like the old fashioned british centre forward, i was hoping the pool would sign him. i reckon he'll do well.
Old 29 July 2008, 05:04 PM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

Keane is a legend

should be good next season
Old 29 July 2008, 05:44 PM
chris1scouser
Scooby Regular

Default Keano!

i hope he does well, you can tell he has a good character. he did have an excellent season 2007/8.
liverpool apart from winning FA cup and CH league. havn't lived up to my expectations recently. they started last season extremely well, after Agger broke his foot they just faded away.
it wasn't just Agger's injury. it was the attitude of the players. at the end of last season a lot of the players who are starting regulars were disappointing gerrard included with the exception of the mighty Carra he isn't the worlds best defender but he reads situations well, marshalls the back line very well and has a big influence throughout games. him and El Nino were the best of last season for me.
Old 29 July 2008, 06:42 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Keane should help you consolidate 4th place this year .

And the Yids losing him will help them continue their slide towards relegation .
Old 29 July 2008, 06:58 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LUCKO
Keane is a legend

should be good next season
I forgot you came out of the closet a few months back and really do support Liverpool
Old 29 July 2008, 08:02 PM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii
I forgot you came out of the closet a few months back and really do support Liverpool
nearly mate nearly.

Keane started at Wolves so that is why i regard him as a legend although he didnt actually play any football until he joined Coventry

Liverpool
Old 30 July 2008, 02:28 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DJ Dunk
£12.3m is not under £10m Besides, prices have skyrocketed in the last 2 years. Now 4 years Keanes senior and tainted goods

Edit: And when exactly did he win the golden boot?
oooh Mr Picky - £10m or £12.3m? Whatever. For a guaranteed goal getter like Ruud £12.3m versus £20m for Keane, who I like but is not in the same class, illustrates my point that liverpool have overpaid. I'm noit suggesting that Ruud should have been the target instead as yes he is older (although he'd still score more) as anyway he wouldn't take a step backwards to Liverpool from the likes of MU / Real Madrid

Top scorer in La Liga 2006/7, so far 77 appearances / 53 goals = 0.69 goals per game.

Premiership record: 150 goals in 200 starts and 19 substitute appearances = 0.7 goals per game

Keane's premiership record: 138 goals in 344 games = 0.4 goals per game. I'll draw a veil over his Inter Milan stint.
Old 30 July 2008, 03:22 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

oooh Mr Picky - £10m or £12.3m? Whatever.
Me, picky? Never

For a guaranteed goal getter like Ruud £12.3m versus £20m for Keane, who I like but is not in the same class, illustrates my point that liverpool have overpaid.
How much do you think Ruud would be to buy now? I assure you it wouldn't be £12m

Top scorer in La Liga 2006/7, so far 77 appearances / 53 goals = 0.69 goals per game.
Nice and still not an alleged golden boot in sight

Premiership record: 150 goals in 200 starts and 19 substitute appearances = 0.7 goals per game

Keane's premiership record: 138 goals in 344 games = 0.4 goals per game.
It is a cracking record, but I still doubt whether he'd be any cheaper than Keane today to a Premiership club. Seriously, you believe his price would still be £12.3m today? Mind you, he does only have a year left on his current contract with Real doesn't he?
Old 30 July 2008, 03:26 PM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
It's not as bad (although not far off ) as the Yids paying £16.5m for Bent
How much did you pay for Nasri

Proven premier league goal scorers are hard to come by, certainly those that do it year on year (Not one year wonders Johnson, McCarthy, Phillips to name a few)
When players like Johnson sell for nearly £13m, Keane must be worth double.

I can see why teams look abroad though, Van De Vaart looks likely to join RM for under £8M - Now that makes most transfer fees look a joke
Old 30 July 2008, 05:18 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Talking

How much do you think Ruud would be to buy now? I assure you it wouldn't be £12m

Mind you, he does only have a year left on his current contract with Real doesn't he?

Nice and still not an alleged golden boot in sight
Hmmm, might have answered your own question there...

Seriously, I don't think he'd come back as he's done his time over there and, despite injuries, is still filling his boots in the sunshine. Rainy grey Manchester / Liverpool/ Chelski or Sunny Madrid when your bones are getting a bit old and achey?

Talking of boots, Mr Picky, I was using golden boot to signify top scorer in La Liga - which he was in his first year over there (if only rooney would settle down so quickly...) - but no doubt there's a "no dutchies or horses allowed" rule in Spain that I overlooked, or perhaps somebody in Santa Tequila del *******o (Beazer casas liga cinco el sud) outscored him
Old 30 July 2008, 05:42 PM
WR 1mposter
Scooby Regular

£20m for Keane

Yet you wont pay £18m for Barry.....

An now Barry is staying at Villa..... guess he sused rafa the goat after all

Barry Staying | Aston Villa | News | Football News | Football News
Old 30 July 2008, 05:45 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

"no dutchies or horses allowed" rule in Spain that I overlooked
Maybe there should be Be sure to send him your made up trophy

It's some feat though, having been top scorer in three different European leagues

But you make a good point about injuries, I wouldn't trust that ankle of his to last him much longer than his present contractual period
Old 30 July 2008, 05:57 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by WR 1mposter
An now Barry is staying at Villa..... guess he sused rafa the goat after all
So it was Barry that decided not to join Liverpool. Thanks for the exclusive information

£18m was always taking the p!ss IMO, that's why an agreement wasn't reached. I'd rather keep Xabi, or go after Silva personally.
Old 30 July 2008, 11:32 PM
WR 1mposter
Scooby Regular

So it was Barry that decided not to join Liverpool. Thanks for the exclusive information

£18m was always taking the p!ss IMO, that's why an agreement wasn't reached. I'd rather keep Xabi, or go after Silva personally.
Both sets of fans are happy then !

Just thought Gerrard wanted another english player to speak to !

But then most of the foriegn players probably speak better english than himand JC
Old 31 July 2008, 12:06 AM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Maybe there should be Be sure to send him your made up trophy

have done already - put love and kisses DJ Dunk on it.

It's some feat though, having been top scorer in three different European leagues

yup

But you make a good point about injuries, I wouldn't trust that ankle of his to last him much longer than his present contractual period
Still worth more than Keane, even with one leg
Old 31 July 2008, 11:47 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

It's a good signing in terms of him being a proven prem scorer.

The thing that confuses me is that without him Liverpool were going to finish 4th next season and with him, Liverpool will finish fourth next season
Old 31 July 2008, 12:58 PM
ash1
Scooby Regular

4th? think a5se are going to struggle, i'd even go as far as saying Manure without ronnie are going to struggle too, i wouldnt want to rely on a fat boy up front.
Old 31 July 2008, 01:44 PM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ash1
4th? think a5se are going to struggle, i'd even go as far as saying Manure without ronnie are going to struggle too, i wouldnt want to rely on a fat boy up front.
Chelsea for the title the ash?
Old 31 July 2008, 02:11 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Finish above Chelsea and you'll win the title. Liverpool are no stronger than last season when they were outclassed each time they played the big boys. Arsenal will be a force as ever.
Old 31 July 2008, 02:11 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Angry

Nothing wrong with Fat Boys
Old 31 July 2008, 02:50 PM
ash1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
Finish above Chelsea and you'll win the title. Liverpool are no stronger than last season when they were outclassed each time they played the big boys. Arsenal will be a force as ever.
more wise words from the man who says JC was finished.....
Old 31 July 2008, 03:05 PM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
That's actually an excellent point: Liverpool did not win a SINGLE game home or away against Man U, Chelsea or Arsenal in the Premier League last season.

In fact, if you include the Cup competitions, Liverpool played 11 times against these 3 clubs and only won one match (Champions League Quarter Final, 2nd leg v Arsenal).

This simple fact shows you how good Liverpool actually are. No matter how much you support them and how many goals they put past the likes of Derby County, if they cannot beat the top 3 clubs in the land, then they can only really hope for 4th place again.
Old 31 July 2008, 03:16 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ash1
more wise words from the man who says JC was finished.....
I said this will be JC's last seaon as a regular player for Liverpool. I saw the friendly last night and he's had a full pre-season but still looked dead on his feet. he's gone!
Old 31 July 2008, 03:25 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbo2
That's actually an excellent point: Liverpool did not win a SINGLE game home or away against Man U, Chelsea or Arsenal in the Premier League last season.

In fact, if you include the Cup competitions, Liverpool played 11 times against these 3 clubs and only won one match (Champions League Quarter Final, 2nd leg v Arsenal).

This simple fact shows you how good Liverpool actually are. No matter how much you support them and how many goals they put past the likes of Derby County, if they cannot beat the top 3 clubs in the land, then they can only really hope for 4th place again.
Exactly. Liverpool have so much ground to make up it's laughable to consider them a title challenger.

It will be like every season... ash will be on here mouthing off about how great Liverpool are and the buys they've made are going to bring them the title only for him to sulk off around January time as Liverpool fade away into a 4th place battle. It's almost poetic

Quick Reply: 20 bleeding million!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....