Milamber
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BBC SPORT | Motorsport | Formula One | British GP will move to Donington
Old 04 July 2008, 01:02 PM
Borat_Drives_A_Scooby
BANNED

Its a disgrace of a decision, Donington is a nightmare to get too as access is shocking at best. When you eventually get into Donington its like going back in time, the facilities are poor, the track is too short.

If it was me who owned Donington i would bulldoze the lot and start again from scratch as the track won`t be anywhere near upto F1 standards as its too short and the surface isn`t the best. We need a modern racetrack in this country so this is the chance to knock down Donington and start again from scratch with a brand new facility.
Old 04 July 2008, 01:49 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Borat_Drives_A_Scooby
Its a disgrace of a decision, Donington is a nightmare to get too as access is shocking at best. When you eventually get into Donington its like going back in time, the facilities are poor, the track is too short.

If it was me who owned Donington i would bulldoze the lot and start again from scratch as the track won`t be anywhere near upto F1 standards as its too short and the surface isn`t the best. We need a modern racetrack in this country so this is the chance to knock down Donington and start again from scratch with a brand new facility.
Did you even bother to read the above BBC link?
Old 04 July 2008, 04:07 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I would have preferred the F1 circuit at Brands, always been one of my favourites, but again as is with all of our circuits they are a nightmare to get in and out of, should be interesting to see what they do with the £100m they intend investing, you could do the lot on a multi carriageway link road to the M1 alone.
Old 04 July 2008, 04:49 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

I love the fact that £100m is going to be spent on doing up the track to F1 standards when £100m won't even buy you an F1 car
Old 04 July 2008, 08:22 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Let's also remember that Bernie charges Silverstone £18m to host the GP as well as taking a percentage of every concession in the circuit, down to the dodgy burger vans !!

When I was up at Silverstone last Thursday I was chatting to a chap called Ralph who was actually born in a small cottage within Silverstone and has worked there all of his life, presently as an instructor in Ferrari's for the driving school, he was telling us that it takes 12 months to recoup the £18m they have to pay Bernie, you would have thought Bernie being English would have put his hand in his pocket before now and helped out rather than blaming the govt every time.
Old 04 July 2008, 08:41 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

been to Donny loads of time and its a dump and no way be ready in 2010

Last edited by richie001; 05 July 2008 at 12:13 PM.
Old 05 July 2008, 11:42 AM
Borat_Drives_A_Scooby
BANNED

Originally Posted by urban
Did you even bother to read the above BBC link?
Yes i did, £100 million gets you virtually nothing these days when building something on this scale like a full F1 standard Grand Prix circuit, as an example the racetrack at Shanghai cost $317.073 million to build.

Donington needs totally bull dozing and starting again from scratch, the track is nowhere near upto F1 standard and it also needs to be a lot bigger.

£100 million may get you a couple of smart grandstands and not much more, Donington needs far more than that to come upto F1 standard including at least one new access road from the motorway as the road thats there now couldn`t handle a F1 british grand prix to the standard required.

A new access road would cost a fortune so who is going to foot the bill for that as no way can that little road they have now cope with an F1 grand prix, you only have to look at what new football stadiums cost at between £300 - £500 million to see what you will get for your £100 million, as i said above a couple of nice grand stands with hospitality and thats your lot, Donington needs far more than a couple of grandstands.

Last edited by Borat_Drives_A_Scooby; 05 July 2008 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06 July 2008, 03:49 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

I heard it was going to be at the three sisters track in Ashton in Makerfield because it is more suitable than Donny...
But no