Sport General sport discussion

Ronaldo the Transfer thread

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2008, 10:29 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Ronaldo the Transfer thread

So the lad wants nto fulfil his dream of playing for Real, we have known for a long time he has had this dream, and you have to accept that every player from overseas that comes to play his fooball here is always likely to move on after 2 or 3 years, but it's very disapointing when you read the constant interviews during the season where he says he wants to be a Utd Legend, i'm not leaving, signing a new contract last year insisting there was no get out clause to prove his loyalty, and all the rest of it, yeah I know talk is cheap.

2 years ago when he pulled the same stunt I was pissed off with the guy and said in this forum he could rot in the stands, but I forgave him, put it down to exuberance of youth and all of that. So as soon as he meets up with Popeye Doyle and the rest of the Portuguese fraternity the stories start, clearly fuelled by Real trying to unsettle hm through the press, and yes it worked, seems he is ultimately destined for Madrid now, I cannot see any Utd fan giving him any sort of warm reception if he is forced to stay, he will be slaughtered and rightly so, you cant swan about thiking you are bigger than the club, it's an old cliche but no one is bigger than the club no matter what club it is.

He has been a great player for us, skillful entertaining and the past 2 years he has been magnificent, I believe he has been the best player in the world this year and possible last year as well, everyones dream, having the best player in the world playing for your side, and yes I will miss what he brought to the table.

But I wont miss him aS a person, he has f*cked the club, manager and supporters about again this summer showing a total lack of respect to all of those people that turn up week in week out paying his wages, to the manager and coaching staff that have taken him from the kid who did 20 stepovers to the more complete world player he is now.

I he leaves he will leave a big hoile but I would expect both Rooney and Tevez to be better players for it, it wont be all about Ronaldo which had become Beckamesque.

One thing is for sure there will never be a statue of him outside Old Trafford.
Old 21 June 2008, 10:49 AM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, player power seems to be the order of the day, these days, but one things for sure, he won't go on the cheap, and I think Fergie will feel thoroughly shafted after being a father figure to him for so long....if he doesn't wanna play for the club then he should fvck off...better off without him....

On the flipside, he has won everything he can tbh at OT, titles, the Champions league.
Old 21 June 2008, 10:58 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

I posted this on a United forum on the 19th. I think most of it stands true.

The Ronaldo situation is pretty clear to me now. He loves United, the fans, the manager and the success he's had here. He's not that keen on Manchester as a place due to the climate. He's had a tough upbringing and to him family is everything. His family are pretty much with him all the time in Manchester and he supports them all with his earnings. Growing up where he did the biggest club you could play for is Madrid. It's his and his families wish to see him play for Real and the bonus is he gets to move his family back to Spain nearer his homeland. He also now has a Spanish slag..errr... I mean girlfriend who would prefer him nearer her.

His desire for money comes from the fact his family has never had it and if he can ensure that his whole extended family never have to want for anything then he will have achieved one of his goals and I'm sure his fathers downfall with drink fuels this desire.

Based on this I think Ronaldo will feel a massive amount of gratitude to United and SAF (CQ as well no doubt). I however could not begrudge the lad his wishes based on the above. I feel in his situation I may feel the same.

From a footballing perspective he may feel he's achieved all he can here and although he knows his chances of success are currently greater with us he may think the challenge of taking Real back to the top in Europe would cement his reputation as one of the all time greats of the game.

Fergie now faces his biggest challenge ever for me. Bigger than ensuring Cantona didn't go back to France. I'm sure he could persuade Ronnie to stay but it's clear to me that Ronnie's heart now lies elsewhere but his loyalty to Fergie may mean we see him still at OT next season.
Old 21 June 2008, 11:08 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

It wont be his loyalty that keeps him it will be the contract he signed and SAF/Utd's decision not to sell him, to be honest I don't see any loyalty what so ever, he's jerked everyone about this summer contradicting himself on numerous occasions, as said he's showed a total lack of respect to all involved.
Old 21 June 2008, 11:09 AM
Mus
Scooby Regular

if he want to leave then just let him be.will see how the mancs cope next season with out him.if his heart isnt in it get rid of him, u wont be getting 100% out of him.sell the bugger next season itl be all about the scousers.
Old 21 June 2008, 11:10 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Originally Posted by mus 1st class sti type r
next season itl be all about the scousers.
Isn't it always ?
Old 21 June 2008, 01:24 PM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

sell him, so what if he is a great player.

if he is not 100% committed to the club then get rid of him.

Robbie Savage could come back and fill his boots easily
Old 21 June 2008, 04:00 PM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii
One thing is for sure there will never be a statue of him outside Old Trafford.
How will he ever sleep at night
Old 21 June 2008, 04:16 PM
DaveBeck
412/425 of forged love

Look what happened to Arsenal when Henry left, players wothout him grew and we had (upto the beating by united) a great season.He thought he was bigger than the club when he left
I say let him go cash in and let Fergie buy another superstar from somewhere else.

Cant force players to stay these days unless your going to let him rot in your reserves to proove a point(that would be quality by the way)
Old 21 June 2008, 05:00 PM
Craigo86
Scooby Regular

If its what he (Ronaldo) wants Fergie will have to let him go - he contributed 38% of all Man U's goals last season so he will have to be replaced with another goal scoring winger, Or Man U need a new striker i just don't see Rooney or Tevez scoring 40+ a season do you? If i was Fergie i'd take a good look at Reals Squad and look for something like 50mill and Arjen Robben, He did well with us at Chelsea and hes having a pretty good tournament at the mo so if Man U could get a deal like that i think they'd come off much better.
Old 21 June 2008, 05:09 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

I'm not a MAN U fan but I understand how peed off supporters must be, along with the board. The guy only signed a 5 year contract last year.

I don't like the swaggering arrogant attitude and trying to bully someone like Ferguson and co will only end in his tears. If they could afford to do so I'd like to see him play for the reserves for every match next season. It's sets a poor precedent for the future when players decide they want a more lucrative move somewhere else.

I've disliked the bloke as soon as he winked at the bench following Rooney's dismissal for England. Greasy tosser.
Old 22 June 2008, 10:02 AM
G-STAR
Scooby Regular

All this talk of loyalty is misguided advice from Mendes.

You could go on for days why United have always put Ronaldo first; a few examples - the incident with Ruud and Queiroz leading to van Nistelrooy's departure, Euro 2006, the signings of Anderson and Nani last year (partly to appease Cristiano), and so on.

United have given him the stage and surrounding to develop into the best player in the world, a tag that he has only truly cemented this past year. He is the one that owes the club for that, and then some.

I could perhaps understand the comments if he was 26-27 and in need of one final big move to round off a successful career, but we all know that's not the case.
Old 22 June 2008, 10:32 AM
richie001
Scooby Regular

I hate Man Utd but i do agree with them why is it that Real Madrid can be allow to unsettle other clubs players by making comments in the media and speaking to the player without permission is a joke and Fifa and Uefa allow this every season and do nothing.Ronaldo should be ashamed of himself he's show complete disrespect to the club and a manager who has stuck by him and made him the player he is.
Old 22 June 2008, 04:37 PM
Craigo86
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richie001
I hate Man Utd but i do agree with them why is it that Real Madrid can be allow to unsettle other clubs players by making comments in the media and speaking to the player without permission is a joke and Fifa and Uefa allow this every season and do nothing.Ronaldo should be ashamed of himself he's show complete disrespect to the club and a manager who has stuck by him and made him the player he is.
I have to disagree with you there mate, Fergie didn't have much to do with making him the player he is that was down to himself, I understand why Fergie wants him to stay as he contributed 38% of Man U's goals last season and if he does leave Man U will struggle to finish second and i doubt they'll win anything as he is there only real goal threat these days unless of course Man U get Villa or Eto'o but i just dont see Fergie dropping Tev and Roon for anyone. Good Luck trying to keep him Man U fans...........................You'll need it.
Old 22 June 2008, 06:51 PM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

Ronaldo has given 5 years? loyal service, although paid pretty well for it .
He has won everything with the yanks, so why shouldn't he, while at his peak, play for his dream team?
Old 23 June 2008, 12:12 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

His peak is 3 or 4 years away. Scary thought really and why I'd hate to see united lose him. He's an employee at the end of the day so I expect no more loyalty from him than I would me to my company. However he's signed a contact and should therefore show that some respect. Still hope he's a United player next season however unlikely. If not United better rape Real for all the cash they have.
Old 23 June 2008, 05:12 AM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
However he's signed a contact and should therefore show that some respect.
Though if he did see out his contract you would lose him on a free whilst at the height of his powers, top players have too much power
Old 23 June 2008, 07:27 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Originally Posted by Craigo86
I have to disagree with you there mate, Fergie didn't have much to do with making him the player he is that was down to himself
PMSL and you talk about other people getting back to their Gran Tourismo

Man U need a new striker i just don't see Rooney or Tevez scoring 40+ a season do you?
No I dont but then again I didnt say they would, what I was referring too was the fact they might see a lot more the ball and thus be more effective, we need an out and out striker, Villa looks OK as does Arshavin, I wouldn't want Eto, past his best especially after his injury, likewise Henry, Berbatov is to similar to Rooney and Tevez, I'm sure Fergie knows what he's doing
Old 23 June 2008, 11:39 AM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Craigo86
I have to disagree with you there mate, Fergie didn't have much to do with making him the player he is that was down to himself, I understand why Fergie wants him to stay as he contributed 38% of Man U's goals last season and if he does leave Man U will struggle to finish second and i doubt they'll win anything as he is there only real goal threat these days unless of course Man U get Villa or Eto'o but i just dont see Fergie dropping Tev and Roon for anyone. Good Luck trying to keep him Man U fans...........................You'll need it.
He doesn't play as well for Portugal as he does for Utd, so maybe the fact that Fergie basically gives him a free reign plus he's surrounded by better players also helps his game.......shouldn't Fergie get some props for doing that?

Man U without Ronaldo will be fine, no one player makes a team, this has happened time and time again at Utd....Keane.....Ruud....Cantona....and they've gone from strength to strength.
Old 23 June 2008, 12:14 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Err... Ronaldo's record for Portugal is superb. Almost a goal every other game and that's from a wide role most of the time. He plays superbly well for Portugal.

Ronaldo is by far the best player I've ever seen in a United shirt. Be a huge loss if\when he goes.
Old 23 June 2008, 01:35 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Ronaldo is by far the best player I've ever seen in a United shirt. Be a huge loss if\when he goes.
You never saw Best, Law or Charlton, then?

Alcazar
Old 23 June 2008, 02:01 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Nope. I'm 31
Old 23 June 2008, 03:42 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Err... Ronaldo's record for Portugal is superb. Almost a goal every other game and that's from a wide role most of the time. He plays superbly well for Portugal.

Like Cantona was, and Keane, you need any more?
Old 23 June 2008, 03:47 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Keane was on his way down when he left. Cantona was superb for United and a top player but not in Ronaldos league. He was also nearering the end of his career. Ronaldo has probably yet to peak!

Ronaldo is one of those special talents that come along only a few times a generation. To then have that talent at your club is even rarer so who knows how long it would be before United get to see a talent as good again? He's the best since Best and the stats prove it.
Old 23 June 2008, 03:59 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Keane was on his way down when he left. Cantona was superb for United and a top player but not in Ronaldos league. He was also nearering the end of his career. Ronaldo has probably yet to peak!

Ronaldo is one of those special talents that come along only a few times a generation. To then have that talent at your club is even rarer so who knows how long it would be before United get to see a talent as good again? He's the best since Best and the stats prove it.
well whilst you make valid points, fair do's, Ill happily have anyone a bet that it won't affect Utd in winning another title next year, they might lose some european pazzaz if he goes, but they have too big a squad for it to be a major loss, a loss yes, certainly, but nothing on a dramatic scale, plus, who knows who Fergie will bring in this summer?
Old 23 June 2008, 04:03 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

No doubt United would still be competitive and with any transfer fee should Ronaldo be sold Fergie would be able to strengthen other areas to compensate but you can only field 11 players and if you lose the best player in the world (If that's what he turns out to be crowned) then you're going to be weaker for it.
Old 23 June 2008, 08:27 PM
Craigo86
Scooby Regular

No doubt United would still be competitive and with any transfer fee should Ronaldo be sold Fergie would be able to strengthen other areas to compensate but you can only field 11 players and if you lose the best player in the world (If that's what he turns out to be crowned) then you're going to be weaker for it.
Pretty much hit the nail on the head there mate.
Old 24 June 2008, 12:24 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

yes but hes not bigger than the club, i dont wont him to go but im loosing patience, with him, he needs a heart to heart with fergie, somewhere miles away from the papers.

its probably for the best if he gos cos he will get absolutled slated at every away game now.
Old 24 June 2008, 12:35 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Ronaldo has not come out of it well with is silence but until I see him come out on tv and say the things reported I'll put it all down to trash paper talk. so many quotes are being thrown around and the source is always suspect. All the quotes apparently from Scolari last week he's now denied ever saying so what do you believe. I'll listen to those involved and nobody else.
Old 24 June 2008, 01:35 PM
DaveBeck
412/425 of forged love

Originally Posted by j4ckos mate
its probably for the best if he gos cos he will get absolutled slated at every away game now.

Didnt that happen after the infamous at the euros??? abused up and down the country. did it effect him. not a bit.
The blokes hated by all other clubs because of his skill and arrogance but thats what makes people love to watch him

being a gooner i dislike the bloke but love watching him play.

I think he thrives on them situations, maybe its helped him become the player he is today.

Beckham had the same problems but he then became english captain

Quick Reply: Ronaldo the Transfer thread