Notices
Sport General sport discussion

Owen Starting Tonight?

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2007, 11:37 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Owen Starting Tonight?

Well what a revalation he has been for Newcastle so far this season scoring 0 goals in 27mins
Definately worth an England call up on the back of that fantastic form (not forgetting his dramatic impact on the Newcastle first team last season)

So based on the fact that he doesnt deserve an England call up on the back of that form, we must summise that he has been picked because in 1998 he scored a good goal against Argentina?
Carrying this logic forward, is John Barnes likely to be recalled for Euro 2008?

I never saw Sir Bobby Charlton play in the flesh as I am too young, but it looks like I may get a chance in the world cup in 2010 if Macca is still England boss
Old 22 August 2007, 11:44 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Stop talking rubbish. He's England's Proven best forward of recent times. He's now back from a long term injury and with a host of other injuries to the other England forwards plus suspensions I don't see anybody else better qualified to start for England. Do you? If so tell me who and why?
Old 22 August 2007, 01:10 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

"Stop talking rubbish" oooo smell the testosterone

Yes my post was a little tongue in cheek

The reason it was posted is because the following strikers are right now, today in a better position to represent England in a friendly, because they have all played more regular first team football for the past 12 months:
Marcus Bent
Peter Crouch
Andy Johnson
Alan Smith
Jermain Defoe
Darius Vassell
Emile Heskey
Paul Peschisholido
Geoff Horsefield

And if fit
David Nugent
Wayne Rooney
etc

I would pick players who play week in week out for their club, who are scoring goals, on form, match fit etc, not becuse they used to be prolific half a decade ago??!!

I hope the welsh dwarf is a blistering success tonight but it's not the England coaches job to nurture back to fitness has been strikers on behalf of their clubs, it's the england coaches job to build a squad around the best players he has available (and after 27mins of first team football in how many months I dont think he can be classed as more "available" than his peers) and in friendlies try new things...

I like you STI, you make me smile
Old 22 August 2007, 02:00 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz
"Stop talking rubbish" oooo smell the testosterone

Yes my post was a little tongue in cheek

The reason it was posted is because the following strikers are right now, today in a better position to represent England in a friendly, because they have all played more regular first team football for the past 12 months:
Marcus Bent Withdrawn Injured
Peter Crouch suspended for the qualifying games so pointless using him
Andy Johnson Withdrew Injured
Alan Smith Will Start
Jermain Defoe Barely plays for his club when fit.
Darius Vassell Crap
Emile Heskey Crap
Paul Peschisholido Old and Crap
Geoff Horsefield Old and Crap

And if fit
David Nugent
Wayne Rooney
etc

I would pick players who play week in week out for their club, who are scoring goals, on form, match fit etc, not becuse they used to be prolific half a decade ago??!!

I hope the welsh dwarf is a blistering success tonight but it's not the England coaches job to nurture back to fitness has been strikers on behalf of their clubs, it's the england coaches job to build a squad around the best players he has available (and after 27mins of first team football in how many months I dont think he can be classed as more "available" than his peers) and in friendlies try new things...

I like you STI, you make me smile
As you can see the managers options are very limited up front and Owen is a proven scorer of goals for England when fit. He's now fit and playing again. The more games the better hence he'll start. I can see what you're trying to say but it's a rubbish argument based on the info above.

Cool. PM me your number and we can hook up
Old 22 August 2007, 02:15 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

I must admit I think this is stupid playing Owen, OK 27 minutes this season can be overlooked I suppose but hes missed a whole preseason and missed the majority of last season, forget about being 100% match fit, hes not 100% normal fit IMO.

Saying that though, goals he does score but Ive never really rated the guy anyway tbh. Not that I'd complain if he puts in the winning goal tonight
Old 22 August 2007, 02:42 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
I must admit I think this is stupid playing Owen, OK 27 minutes this season can be overlooked I suppose but hes missed a whole preseason and missed the majority of last season, forget about being 100% match fit, hes not 100% normal fit IMO.

Saying that though, goals he does score but Ive never really rated the guy anyway tbh. Not that I'd complain if he puts in the winning goal tonight
He's done a full pre-season. He only missed a couple of games for Newcastle with a thigh strain which plenty of others have picked up. Owen now is apparently as fit as he's ever been (may not say much). so he should be fully fit but lacking some match sharpness which is why he needs to play in view that other players are ruling them out as unfit.

Never rated him.... dave this is why I cant take you seriously He's scored at every level and for every team he's played. How can you not rate that? He's a goalscorer and he scores goals... He's Ronseal
Old 22 August 2007, 02:49 PM
LordOfTheRings
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

owen is ****
Old 22 August 2007, 02:50 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LordOfTheRings
owen is ****
Good?

Old 22 August 2007, 03:14 PM
LordOfTheRings
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

no crapppppppppp. Thats why england never win anything. Been using the same old washed up strikers for years and have always had trouble scoring. How about changing the striker line up and see if we get some success..
Old 22 August 2007, 03:18 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

I have to agree. We should get that Henry bloke and that Drogba. They look alright!
Old 22 August 2007, 04:03 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
Never rated him.... dave this is why I cant take you seriously He's scored at every level and for every team he's played. How can you not rate that? He's a goalscorer and he scores goals... He's Ronseal
Ah see, I did say he can score goals and plenty of them. What I think though, is that as a footballer he is pretty poor, his first touch lets him down alot, he doesnt have great vision and will try to run through 2 defenders rather than lay a good ball off and loses it more times than I care to think during a match. Ok he might make up for it by scoring once during the game but I think if he had the ability to bring others into the game more the team he is in would score more overall (or at least have more efforts on goal)

His goalscoring positions cant be grumbled at though, he knows where to be to get that final touch but IMO thats the only thing he brings to the team.

Agree or not I dont mind, its not an argument, simple discussion
Old 22 August 2007, 06:28 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Alan will do all the work, maybe score. Owen will do **** all and get loads of praise from Maclaren and the media as per usual.