redwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Daily mirror Report..

27 May 2005

1 MILLION fans welcome champs home
1 MILLION welcome Euro champs home
From Clare Raymond On The Streets Of Liverpool
THEY sang, they danced, they laughed, cried and cheered like they've never done before.

And every stretch of pavement, kerb and wall was covered by a sea of red flags and shirts as more than a million jubilant Liverpool fans crammed into the city to watch the Reds come home with the European Cup for a historic fifth time, meaning it now stays at Anfield.

As ecstatic skipper Steven Gerrard held the trophy aloft on an open-top bus, those stood beneath and others watching from windows, ledges or any other vantage point available went wild with delight.

The Anfield anthem You'll Never Walk Alone rang out from every corner along with chants of "Are You Watching Man United" - a dig at their nearby rivals in whose shadow they have spent so many years.

Advertisement

Hammers, trophy-shaped balloons and red and white whistles were among the gimmicks on sale as the city's biggest-ever street party began. Earplugs would have been more appropriate.

The delirious roar of excitement was deafening three hours before the victory parade was even due to begin and when it did the already frenzied fans went berserk. Horns honked, whistles peeped as supporters sang themselves hoarse.

Imagine Ken Dodd winning the Nobel Peace Prize, Cilla Black winning an Oscar and John Lennon rising from the dead, all on the same day. It wouldn't come close to the level of pride being displayed on the streets of the city centre last night.

Security guards struggled in their attempts to topple over-eager supporters from ancient monuments.

Fans even climbed hundreds of feet on to the top of Lime Street station.

Led by 20 police horses, the double decker bus carrying the team edged its way from the start point at the junction of Queens Drive and East Prescot Road in Knotty Ash at 7pm, half an hour later than planned. Within seconds fans erupted in song.

They were also in full voice when the team reached the end of the parade at St George's Hall, the main civic building, two hours later.

As the 50,000 supporters waiting at that part of the route got their first glimpse of the bus carrying the beaming players they burst into a spontaneous chorus of Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life.

The hordes of fans were still in dreamland after Liverpool's epic victory against Italian giants AC Milan in Istanbul on Wednesday - the first time they had won the European Cup since 1984.

One rendition of You'll Never Walk Alone lasted two hours.

Beaming gran-of-four Phyllis Buckley, 59, from New Brighton, said: "I remember celebrating when we won 21 years ago. But this is bigger and much more exciting.

"Then it was held at the town hall and there wasn't as much space. There are far more people here today. It's fantastic."

Seven-year-old Sam Reilly had rushed straight from school with sister Sophie, 11, to see the parade.

Sam said: "I was so happy after the match I slept in my Liverpool shirt last night."

And Sophie admitted: "I was a Man United fan until last night but now I've changed my mind. This is much more exciting."

Pensioner Doris Croshier, of Wigan, said: "I wanted to welcome back our boys because they're the best. I haven't lived in Liverpool for 42 years but I will always support our team. They've been amazing." Ron Port, a 47-year-old fireman from the Wirral, added: "We had to be here. You wouldn't miss this for the world. It's unbelievable."

As the bus passed Liverpool's Anfield ground, the noise level reached fever pitch. Players including Djibril Cisse, Gerrard, Jamie Carragher, John Arne Riise and Jerzy Dudek - who 24 hours earlier had helped the team come back from 3-0 down to 3-3 and take the tie to penalties - all held up the cup and saluted the crowds.

Fan Gary Davies, 25, said of the side: "They are our life and our soul. Our reason for living and we will never desert them in good times or bad. We have waited for this day and we never want to see it end.

"They will never see this kind of passion in Manchester or London."

The city's population of 460,000 swelled as fans from all over the country came to join in the celebrations.

A police spokesman said: "We estimate there were 750,000 supporters along the 10-mile route and 300,000 outside St George's Hall.
Old 27 May 2005, 11:47 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Smile

Watched the abridged highlights on Sky Sports News this morning

One query though, given the vast array of musical talent that's flooded out of Liverpool over the past half century, why the **** did the numptie who compiled it choose a ******* OASIS track to play over the footage:******:
Old 27 May 2005, 11:58 AM
redwrx
Scooby Regular

A 1/4 of a million people singing "You'll never walk alone" .... now thats a tune.

Its still ringing through my ears ...
Old 27 May 2005, 03:55 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Yesterday was a great day to go out robbing!!

Old 27 May 2005, 10:09 PM
redwrx
Scooby Regular

A million people - and only 4 arrests for minor offences.

Thats the true spirit of Liverpool....!!!