Sport General sport discussion

I hate football

Search this Thread

Old 12 June 2004, 01:08 PM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I hate football

- I hate the way it dominates EVERYTHING. TV, news, radio, every advert, suddenly decide that nothing else matters except football.
- I hate the way blokes who normally speak perfectly well have a sudden accent change to that of "yob" as soon as they start with those stupid football chants, like "kooom on Eng-e-land", its like talking about football or chanting involves switching off most of the brain and changing voice settings to "Thug".
- I hate those stupid flags flying outside of cars, for 345 days of the year these people have bugger all patrionism, and the majority just moan about Eng-e-land, how their dole money isnt enough etc etc, but when a bunch of (mostly) yobs are about to go and kick a ball about, they suddenly want to beat up any opposing fans to prove how patriotic they are.
- I hate football songs, which are designed to cater to the lowest common denominator with nice simple chants that any idiot can learn, and again suddenly the "celebrities" singing them adopt that yob voice so that they fit right in with the people they're trying to appeal to, the rubbish of britain.
- I hate the fact that even though most footballers at some stage are alchoholics, wife beaters, serial adulterers, rapists, short tempered, destructive, and unpleasant individuals, they recieve more of britains attentions and adoration than someone who works their whole life helping, for example, terminally ill patients.
- I hate watching how english "fans" have destroyed some foreign city simply because they feel football is worth the price.

I can however appreciate the skill involved, but to pay these people the money they earn, and give them the adoration they recieve, simply for kicking a ball at a rectangle, is completely rediculous, and I can honestly say the very serious football fans Ive met are the sort of idiot Id rather not associate with, unfortuanatley events like the Euro cup seem to drag the majority down into that catagory.
Old 12 June 2004, 01:46 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

And I hate people who moan about football. Get over it.

Simon.
Old 12 June 2004, 02:02 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Deja vu again Is this the 3rd or 4th thread this week?
Old 12 June 2004, 02:16 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

I like it!

- I hate the fact that even though most footballers at some stage are alchoholics, wife beaters, serial adulterers, rapists, short tempered, destructive, and unpleasant individuals, they recieve more of britains attentions and adoration than someone who works their whole life helping, for example, terminally ill patients.
Not true. My cousin was a SPL player and has had false accusations made against him (by his own wife!!!) and the stupid bitch ruined his life!!!!
Old 12 June 2004, 02:49 PM
Audi-Boy
BANNED

wow, be easy on the fella; he sounds depressed!

Audi-Boy
Old 12 June 2004, 02:56 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

wow! AB you have accrued nearly a thousand posts already!! christ! i come on here every day and have for the last year and still only have just over 1300. you must really have an opinion on everything

jamo

p.s. your in england its our game, get over it, if you dont like it walk around with your blinkers on.
Old 12 June 2004, 03:11 PM
Audi-Boy
BANNED

Originally Posted by j4mou
wow! AB you have accrued nearly a thousand posts already!! christ! i come on here every day and have for the last year and still only have just over 1300. you must really have an opinion on everything
It's called being unemployed!

Quite an embarrassing post count for a mere 31 days!

AB.
Old 12 June 2004, 03:59 PM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
And I hate people who moan about football. Get over it.

Simon.
Ill get over it when im not force fed it every time I try to watch a bit of telly or listen to the radio, or go for a drive, or walk outside, until then ill post about why I dont like it, and the image it presents of England, as it does actually feel like you're getting it off your chest.
And as Englands game, why is it that all chavs and young scum are always wearing football attire, and are the both the biggest fans and biggest culprits? says a lot about England, and its football culture, played by scum and fanatasised over by chavs, and they call it the beautiful game.

Blinkers would be great, but to avoid "Englands game", you'd need a blindfold.

Er, audi-boy, you may be onto something there, I am depressed!! been a long few weeks, think ill have a few more beers out tonight than I did last night, may help.
Old 12 June 2004, 04:05 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SideShowBob
And as Englands game, why is it that all chavs and young scum are always wearing football attire, and are the both the biggest fans and biggest culprits? says a lot about England, and its football culture, played by scum and fanatasised over by chavs, and they call it the beautiful game.
Stop type-casting every footie fan to be what you perceive. FYI it IS the beautiful game to 1000's of fans including me.

Can't believe all this bitching about it from the haters
Old 12 June 2004, 04:48 PM
Audi-Boy
BANNED

Er, audi-boy, you may be onto something there, I am depressed!! been a long few weeks, think ill have a few more beers out tonight than I did last night, may help
There is an underlying problem and it aint the football!
You're looking for excuses.

Don't know what to suggest, just don't drink too much beer!

AB.
Old 12 June 2004, 04:49 PM
richiewong
Twatful

Originally Posted by Redkop
Stop type-casting every footie fan to be what you perceive. FYI it IS the beautiful game to 1000's of fans including me.

Can't believe all this bitching about it from the haters
Go on Lynne get your boot in there girl

p.s I love football and I'm certainly no thug or chav
Old 12 June 2004, 05:09 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Audi-Boy
It's called being unemployed!

AB.

Or in your case just a lazy bastad.

Chip.
Old 12 June 2004, 05:11 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

I,m with Bob on this one. Football is only sport that is on every morning on BBC brekky prog. Why are primetime progs delayed for football as well when it only gets half the viewers of say, coranation st or the likes of.

Chip.
Old 12 June 2004, 05:42 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
Why are primetime progs delayed for football as well when it only gets half the viewers of say, coranation st or the likes of.

Chip.
Bloody hell Chip, can't believe you felt the need to ask that question

Are Coronation St/Emmerdale et al really of such national importance? They aren't real life ya know I don't see many people come on here bitching that an extra episode of any of them is being shown later in the evening or that it's been extended to an hour long episode. Praps I ought too, as I hate soaps...

This our country competing in a prestigious event [held bi-annually] which will be screened worldwide... so moan all you like, it won't get you anywhere

Redkop [currently watching Portugal v Greece]
Old 12 June 2004, 06:35 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Redkop,

I think you'll find Chip was alluding to the way all football no matter what competition, league or standard seems to be given the priority over all other TV schedules not just the World Cup/Euro Championships. I know it's not necessarily always like that, but to us non-fans it does somewhat feel like that.

Can't disagree with anything SideShowBob has written either

tiggers.
Old 12 June 2004, 06:46 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

It's only Cup games tiggers and not many of those are on terrestrial TV and they certainly don't amount to anywhere near the times we are subjected to extra episodes of the soaps. This 'argument' will never reach a conclusion
Old 12 June 2004, 06:50 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tiggers
Redkop,

I think you'll find Chip was alluding to the way all football no matter what competition, league or standard seems to be given the priority over all other TV schedules not just the World Cup/Euro Championships. I know it's not necessarily always like that, but to us non-fans it does somewhat feel like that.

Can't disagree with anything SideShowBob has written either

tiggers.
Tiggers,
All this agreeing with each other will just have to stop

Redkop,
I was referring to football in general, not just the tournament at the moment.
I can understand that the Euro finals are going to be shown a lot. Thats expected as its a major event.

When I referred to Coronation st I was just generalising, I didnt say it was of such national importance at all. I was merely saying that football seems to come before everything even when its a game between say a French and german team. Look at the viewing figures for these games. Football midweek gets about 8m against Corrie at 15-17m. So why not move the football to a later time..

Chip.
Old 12 June 2004, 06:56 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

It's only Cup games tiggers and not many of those are on terrestrial TV and they certainly don't amount to anywhere near the times we are subjected to extra episodes of the soaps. This 'argument' will never reach a conclusion
Yeah hence why I said "I know it's not necessarily always like that, but to us non-fans it does somewhat feel like that."

Got to agree with you on the soaps though although faced with footie, soap operas or watching grass grow - the grass will win every time.

As for a conclusion football's crap - accept it - there you go sorted

tiggers.
Old 12 June 2004, 07:57 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Am already sorted ta... renewed my Season Ticket last month, for next season
Old 12 June 2004, 11:53 PM
WRX Wannabe
Scooby Regular

Oh well at least England played well in the rugby today

Both my parents are Scottish but i am English through and through i will support ANYTHING to do with SPORTS and my nation

P.s i dont drink/fight/rape/molest or own anything burberry
Old 13 June 2004, 12:30 AM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Tiggers,
So why not move the football to a later time..
Chip.
Errrrr Chip it wouldn't be live then, would it? You can't expect a game to kick-off later than 8pm
Old 13 June 2004, 12:38 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Tiggers,
All this agreeing with each other will just have to stop
Yeah it's becoming almost boring isn't it?
Old 13 June 2004, 12:50 AM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Makes a change though
Old 13 June 2004, 12:56 AM
Audi-Boy
BANNED

Why is lynne in stealth mode?

Ooo yer 'idin from, eh, eh?
Old 13 June 2004, 01:08 AM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Ssshhhh!!! Cos I am watching 'The Substitute' on TV
Old 13 June 2004, 09:00 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Errrrr Chip it wouldn't be live then, would it? You can't expect a game to kick-off later than 8pm
Errrr, why does it have to be live then.

Chip.
Old 13 June 2004, 09:16 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

What you guys convienently forget is that football is the most popular game on the planet - by a huge margin. The World Cup final is estimated to attract an audience inexcess of 2 billion. Is it any surprise that TV channels dedicate so much time to it?

TV stations are in the entertainment business and they will show what attracts the biggest audience. As a football fan and a motorsport fan, I recognise that motorsport is not as popular as football. I would love to see more coverage (decent Le Mans programmes would be a start), but I'm also a realist and know that this isn't going to appeal to a big enough proportion of the population to warrant the massive expenditure required.

I would agree that for many TV channels, football coverage borders on the obessive, but it obviously works. Otherwise, why would channels like Sky pay so much for the rights to show it?

What I find more annoying is the huge blanket coverage given to events like Wimbledon. Tennis most certainly has a smaller following than motorsport, but the coverage it receives is out of proportion. It would be nice to see the balance redressed at some point.

Chris
Old 13 June 2004, 09:30 AM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

Redkop, you say you cant believe all this moaning aout football, but you're only exposed to it on a few threads of a bulletin board.
For non fans of footie, we have football pushed on every TV channel, every radio station etc, cant get away from it.
I wasnt implying every football fan is a thug, its more big football events seem to bring out the rubbish, every news cast has footage of how many police are patroling the streets at Euro 2004 predominantly because of the English fans, charming!!
People are obvuously free to enjoy any sport, but if you werent a fan of, I dont know, swimming, but everything in Britain with regards TV, radio, adverts etc was shoving swimming down your throat, you'd probably be posting about how annoying it is. The fact that chavs and scumbags seem to also be big football fans without fail, doesnt help, it seems the two are connected.
Old 13 June 2004, 10:57 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Originally Posted by SideShowBob
Redkop, you say you cant believe all this moaning aout football, but you're only exposed to it on a few threads of a bulletin board.
For non fans of footie, we have football pushed on every TV channel, every radio station etc, cant get away from it.
I wasnt implying every football fan is a thug, its more big football events seem to bring out the rubbish, every news cast has footage of how many police are patroling the streets at Euro 2004 predominantly because of the English fans, charming!!
People are obvuously free to enjoy any sport, but if you werent a fan of, I dont know, swimming, but everything in Britain with regards TV, radio, adverts etc was shoving swimming down your throat, you'd probably be posting about how annoying it is. The fact that chavs and scumbags seem to also be big football fans without fail, doesnt help, it seems the two are connected.
Non Fans of Footy do not have it pushed on every channel - utter rubbish Mr Doomandgloom - Is the glass ALWAYS half empty???
If flags on cars upsets you is a shame, you are obviously easily frustratable, sensitive to the extreme and annoyed by other people ejoying something you dont.
You stereotype to prove a point. OK so the "average" bloke on the street lacks a bit upstairs and until recently football has never set out to appeal to the upper classes, so there is bound to be an element of plonka at every football match. Chavs and scumbags watch Rugby Union, Rugby League, Cricket, go fishing, eat in resteraunts, sleep, have BBQ's, wear underpants etc...
You also seem to see yourself as to good for football, well I bow to your non chav superiority.
All hail miserable Sideshow who obviously began this thread to bait a reaction from football fans.
Like a kids programme once said "Why Dont You Switch Off Your TV And Go Out And Do Something Less Boring Instead"...

Pabs
Old 13 June 2004, 11:43 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chris L
TV stations are in the entertainment business and they will show what attracts the biggest audience.
Exactly! So why then do they move the soap operas (15-18m viewers) to make way for football (10m viewers)? Frankly neither are worth wasting the time of day on, but there you go.

tiggers.

Quick Reply: I hate football