Sport General sport discussion

Snowboarding / gear..

Search this Thread

Old 17 December 2003, 02:33 PM
icantthinkofone
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Ok, looking for some knowledgeable advice here...

Done 2 weeks of boarding, pretty confident, carving reds fast, blacks a bit tentative, but OK. Like to jump a bit, but not really into rails, haven't tried the 1/2 pipe yet. *Love* powder when it's available. Tend to ride reasonably agressively - enough to make me puff, and I'm quite fit.

Looking to equip myself for the winter, got about 4 weeks planned. What do people recommend. So far done ellis bingham, snow+rock and the board shop in high wycombe, recommended everything from a K2 access to a recon-riser via burton custom and all sorts in between.

Looking for a setup with some headroom to progress, but also that I can get on with a hangover and have a nice day without getting spanked! Want something with 'go anywhere, do anything' ability; also need boots and bindings.

I'm 74 kg and 5'10 (thinking about 158-160ish length), sz 9 feet. Previously hired 'gold' kit in tignes and chamonix; both salomons, think it was a 'shadow', but no one seems to have heard of that.. would be nice to have an idea how what I'm being recommended compares to those, but....

Cheers,
Mark.
Old 22 December 2003, 09:32 AM
J S W
Scooby Regular

If you have hired kit before be careful when buying, don't buy a board that is too long. I am 5'11 and have a Burton 161 which is a lovely board but as I have got better (now in 10th week of boarding) it is just too long for half pipe and powder.

Boots are the most important bit of kit, spend good money as cheap boots can make life hell. Always buy in resort if possible as it is normally much cheaper and most shops will let you try for 24 hours before you buy.

Very often the gear you hire is hard to find in the UK as shops in the resort tend to buy bulk discount/discontinued/generally anything thay can get on the cheap. doesn't mean its poor quality though.

I am a firm believer that the board and binding's make little difference, it is in the rider. I prefer to spend more on clothing so at least I am warm and dry when boarding.

Old 22 December 2003, 06:41 PM
icantthinkofone
Scooby Regular

Cheers, interesting... also about 5'10, was looking 158-160 lengthwise.. would have thought that length was good in powder?

Not really a pipe person, want to jump, kickers / tabletops, go fast, carve. Was looking to a longer, stiffer board, rather than something shorter / softer (park) which wouldn't be stable at speed?

Which burton do you ride?

Thanks,
Mark.
Old 22 December 2003, 07:51 PM
J S W
Scooby Regular

I thought the same about length thats why I bought the longer one, having used shorter boards in powder I noticed little difference. I sometimes feel that a board with a little less length would control a bit better. Just feel I am fighting the board a bit when on jumps and rough terrain. It is a difficult one just buy what you feel comfortable with.

I ride a burton charger with matching binding. A few years ago I was lucky enough to go boarding in the first week of the season. I went to a resort shop and looked at a few to buy, it was a choice of two and the shop agreed to let me "hire" my chosen board/bindings/burton boots for the week with the agreement that I could buy if I wanted at the end of the week with no charge for hire.

This was fantastic as it was all brand new stuff, i have heard stories of other people doing this as shops always need hire equipment any time in the season.

Old 04 January 2004, 02:09 AM
wooosh
Scooby Regular

Have a look here at the buyers guide to find out what size of board you will require. Click on board buyers guide

http://www.snowandrock.com/selector/...ards/index.asp

[Edited by wooosh - 1/4/2004 2:10:11 AM]
Old 05 January 2004, 11:28 AM
icantthinkofone
Scooby Regular

Thanks for advice folks, I've gone and done it...

Burton Custom 162
Burton Mission bindings
Thirty-two TM-two boots.

Went for a 162 as I'm a bit fat for the 158 (160 would'a been nice!) Missions seemed a bit better built (if less tech) than for instance, ride's at a similar price point. Boots were a bit ott - was intending to get prospects, but they didn't have any and I was getting a nice discount, so the tm-two only cost a smidge more than the prospects would have elsewhere.

Nearly bought a K2 Ambush, but wimped out and went for the custom as a more 'safe' alround choice - Ambush is more freeride, small risers, *very* fast, great edge hold. Doesn't _feel_ mega stiff, but is, decided it's one thing living with something like that at a snowdome where edge hold seems a bit iffy at the best of times, but that it might bite my butt on real hardpack (so might the custom - oh well!)

Recommendation for the sputnik board shop at wycombe summit.. very helpful, must have spent 4 hrs with me over a couple of visits to make that sale...

- Mark.