Notices
Sport General sport discussion

Son been asked to play football for his Town?

Search this Thread

Old 04 October 2003, 09:51 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My lad (10) has been asked to play football for his Town schoolboys team.

He had been signed by a professional club last year but was released after six months with a statement that they would still monitor his progress and maybe invited back.

The problem is that the professional club really dented his confidence and his schoolwork suffered as a result. It took a long time to bring him back up to his former self and at the moment is firing on all cylinders (in school and on the pitch).

I dont want him to go through the same heartache again if the Town team "let him go" or am i looking at this the wrong way.

Has anyone got any views or personal experience of Schoolboy Town teams and how they operate. i must admit it does seem well co-ordinated with trips to Europe and trips around GB.

Cheers
Old 05 October 2003, 03:21 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Cool

My cousin played for Port Vale schoolboys before joining their YTS program (He left after a long term injury). He tried out for Liverpool, Everton & Crewe Alex before signing to the Vale. His final choice was between Crewe & Vale (Vale come out on top as both his Grandad & Dad are lifelong ST holders) he reckoned that unless you believe you are genuinely going to make it into the first team the atmosphere at the premiership clubs is just too pressurised. He felt it was better to start at one of the lower league clubs & if you've got it, the scouts will still find you.

Your lad should just enjoy his football, if he reckons he will with the town team go for it, because at the end of the day there is nothing worse than regretting NOT doing something when you had the chance.
Old 05 October 2003, 05:58 PM
Disco
Scooby Regular

Cool

I'd see it as a great opportunity. Many 'schoolboy' teams are run exceptionally well these days, and as you say often involve character enhancing tours.

As for his confidence, although still young, he will have grown and learnt for his previous experience, and you may find that being part of something again gives him back his confidence in general, which coul dhelp his determination off the pitch too (school etc)

Hope all goes well for him.
Old 05 October 2003, 07:04 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Thanks Guys

We have had a long chat and seems ready to want to progress again. As i said his confidence was dented really hard and he saw himself as a bit of a failure which carried on through his school work. I have spoken with one of the organiser / trainers and they have said that the emphasis is on team spirit and letting them develop as a person, so this sounds encouraging. Admittedley i've not heard anything other than praise for these people so perhaps this is the way to go.

I only hope that Scouts dont come to us and "Promise the Earth" as they did do some while back. As you both say "enjoy it" i think thats the key

Pete

Thanks again
Old 06 October 2003, 08:09 AM
Toonman1
Scooby Regular

I think it's great news. You both sound like you're aware of the pitfalls, so good luck to the lad!

Cheers
Old 08 October 2003, 01:05 AM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Cool

Buzzer,
The older they get the more they want to play. My 11 yr old plays for Mav's (see link below) started 3 seasons ago, and now has a cabinet full of medals and trophies to show for his and his teams achievments.
He literally is the advert, as all he does is "Eat Football, Sleep Football & Drink ....yep Football, from the moment he gets up till his head hits the pillar at night its football, whether on telly or he's playing it, if ur kids got the bug like mine there's no stopping em, all u can do is encourage them & help them on their way.

Im lucky cos in our house even my missus and Adz 3 older brothers are ALL football mad, so when we sit down to a match its the wife who has the YORKIE....ha ha ha

Pass on my best to ur lad and hope that one day he can put on the ENGLAND shirt and make you proud, as my lad wants to wear the number 8 shirt.

http://www.wilfordmavericks.btinternet.co.uk/home.htm
Old 08 October 2003, 09:31 AM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Dazza

Thats sites really good

My lad is the same eats, drinks and sleeps football. So much so that all has is a footy net a few ***** and a playstation (for when its raining). You cant find anything for him for his Birthday or Christmas other than football related items.

He currently plays for his Club Team, School Team and now his town Schoolboys team. I only hope he doesn't damage himself by playing too much at this age as every spare minute he has is either kicking a football or helping wash/mod the Scoob.

He seems a lot more relaxed now and looking forward to his first game.

Trending Topics

Old 08 October 2003, 10:44 AM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Cool

Buzzer,
this is the ground FOREST sometimes play at, ie my back garden
Old 08 October 2003, 11:13 AM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

PMSL Dazza

Sack the Groundsman.

The penalty spot looks a bit worn
Old 08 October 2003, 01:02 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Cool

Penalty spot..lol that was the half way line till the missis wanted a patio....little Adz was none to pleased