Sport General sport discussion

Snowboarding

Search this Thread

Old 22 September 2003, 10:31 AM
Molds
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have never had a single lesson but I have just agreed to go for a weeks 'boarding', err 'dudes' next February with a pal (also a newbie).

My plan is to now go and take lessons at the closest snowdome and then once I am allowed free in the snowdome get some sessions in before next Feb. Don't want to waste the holiday learning the basics.

However, I have some questions for those in the snowboard know.

What exercises are good for building snowboard specific strength? Not a gym member anymore but I was thinking of things I can do at home to help make the experience better, e.g. don't amateur/beginner skiers do some kind of squats leaning their back up the wall?

I am not going to invest cash in a board and boots and bindings until I have been and decided if it will become a regular thing. I am going to invest in some clothing though. No point being wet, cold and miserable! Can you recommend the essentials? Was thinking that I would get trousers for the lessons so I am not in jeans or track suit trousers.

Any other advise you can think of for a total newbie so I get the most out of my lessons and enjoy my trip next year would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Matt
Old 24 September 2003, 01:57 PM
sempers
Scooby Regular

Good news. Snowboarding doesn't require strength quite like skiing.

Squats are probably good if you want to do anything. You do spend a lot of time with your knees bent. When you get fast they'll be pumping up and down like pistons (they're you're suspension!!)

Tip, keep knees bent, absorb bumps rather than fly. Snowboards need a little speed before they turn properly, don't be afraid of it.

Try not to yank it round, will lead to falling once you gain some speed!

Gear, I went to the Helly hansen retail outlet in bicester village. thermals, trousers and a jacket. microflece top nice too. cheap
Old 24 September 2003, 04:48 PM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

If you can do some cycling, build your thigh muscles up.

Echo above post, with your knees bent, its your thighs and calf muscles which will start to hurt first!

It's all well worth it though!
Old 24 September 2003, 05:13 PM
Molds
Scooby Regular

Funny you should suggest cycling...

My other half accuses me of making our house look like a bike shop with my 6 bikes plus 1 uni cycle!

Cheers

M
Old 25 September 2003, 12:45 PM
doobiedooo
Scooby Regular

Been snowboarding several years and in my experience what ever exercise you do, once you start flying on long runs without stopping your legs are gonna really hurt!! But don't be put off - its well worth the pain Just remember to stretch off after and again before you start in the morning. It will get less painful by the end of the week.

Like previous post said... when learning, speed will help - don't be afraid. You won't be able to turn at low speeds without huge effort and accuracy so go fast all the time. When I was learning in Canada a few years back this "dude" said to me "speed is your friend man"!!!

One other thing which is key is staying on one edge of the board or another. Even when going in a straight line try to keep your weight on one egde - you will stack it if you try to ride with the base of the board flat as it will tram line and catch at edge.

With regard to clothing, it depends when and where you're going. Decent trousers is a must what ever time of year.

When and where are you off to???

<please excuse the waffle but you just got me really excited that the season is starting again soon!!>
Old 25 September 2003, 01:46 PM
Molds
Scooby Regular

Off to somewhere in Switzerland - not sure of the resort name, in Feb 04
Old 25 September 2003, 02:06 PM
doobiedooo
Scooby Regular

Nice one - you'll love it!

Get on the M40 down to Oxford and try SS20 for all your Snowboarding needs!! Great shop and helpful staff......

http://www.ss20.com/
Old 25 September 2003, 02:45 PM
Molds
Scooby Regular

Off here this Saturday, see if I can pick up some bargains as well as some inspiration.

The British Ski and Snowboard Show