Notices
Sport General sport discussion

TdF Anyone ?

Search this Thread

Old 15 July 2003, 02:48 PM
andyr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone here keeping up with events in this year's tour ?
Past few days have, IMOH been really good - riders prepared to attack Armstrong and then yesterday, Beloki goes and spoils his chances in a big way by highsiding and breaking his leg/elbow/wrist - a sore one !
With Garzelli out, Simoni doing badly, Beloki out and Botero doing crap Armstrong's chances are looking better now but hopefully there will be a few riders prepared to attack in the Pyrenees.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz back to the football
Old 17 July 2003, 01:31 PM
wiltshire_boy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I've been watching most of the coverage on ITV2 Andy, i love it.

Been bloody exciting so far i reckon, still wincing everytime they show the replays of Berloki's crash though
Old 17 July 2003, 02:14 PM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I haven't seen any of it yet. Haven't got digital TV and ITV1's coverage is in the middle of the night... I know, I know I could tape it... but I never get round to watching it. I have 4 progs on tape already in the queue!

Been following it via the BBC website though - they do a text-based coverage of it, like they do for cricket etc.

I reckon the time-trial coming up will show if Armstrong is really in the best form of his life, and if anyone else in the race can compete with him.

None of the recent Tours have been very exciting though. I still revel on the days of Roche vs Delgado, Pantani / Riis / Ulrich, and Fignon vs Lemond. I think the latter was won by Lemond on a time trial, on the last day of the Tour!
Old 17 July 2003, 03:05 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I well remember Lemon snatching the yellow against Fignon. The French were very cheesed off not only with the yellow being changed on the last day (very untraditional), but also that it happened in Paris with a Frenchie about to win.
I couldn't stop laughing at France getting very huffy and indignant . Shame the winner was a such a whinger but you can't have it all.
Strange how a last day TT never happened again....

Nick
Old 17 July 2003, 03:33 PM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

Wink

Unlike the French to be bad losers...

My brother has just read the Armstrong book, and in there he describes the treatment he has had off some parts of the French press and other parties involved with the Tour. They're forever going on about his performances being aided by drugs.

I'm pretty sure no such comments were flung around when Bernard Hinault kept winning the Tour!
Old 19 July 2003, 08:46 PM
andyr
Scooby Regular

I watched the TT yesterday and Ulrich looked imense - Armstrong doesn't, I think, look as impressive because of his high pedalling rate but he rode well (probably still around 30mph ave over a really heavy course ! ) but Ullrich's time was just fantastic. I just hope he can sustain his form through the Pyrenees and has the guts to attack and not just go for a podium finish.
Old 21 July 2003, 02:46 PM
brooks
Scooby Regular

I have been an avid Tour follower since 1985 and this is the best since 1989 ( widely seen as the best ever). What a race. Today they climb the Aspin., Tourmlet and Luz Adiden. We should have a clearer picture who will take the overall after this stage. I have done todays mountains(on my bicycle) and they are so hard (let alone after racing flat out for 2 weeks). Come on Ullrich!
Old 21 July 2003, 04:11 PM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Good to see that the riders have the utmost respect for each other, and have demonstrated this with a fine display of sportsmanship today.

Some tw*t in the crowd managed to collide with Armstrong, who fell, but rather than take advantage, his rivals allowed him to catch up again, so they could compete properly.

LA then showed them a clean pair of heels as he won the stage!

Always used to annoy me when idiots in the crowd ran along side the riders on the mountain stages. You almost wanted to reach inside the TV and drag them off. Enthusiasm is one thing, being a complete pr!ck is something else.

Old 22 July 2003, 09:49 AM
AndrewC
Scooby Regular

Duck_Pond you took the words right out of David Duffield's mouth!

Anyone remember his tirade when when someone with a camera stepped out in front of <name> of Telekom on his way to winning on L'Alpe d'Huez?

Andrew...
Old 22 July 2003, 04:27 PM
brooks
Scooby Regular

The rider's name was Giuseppe Guerini. It was a dramtic moment! I am riding up Alpe D'Huez soon, should be fun!
Old 22 July 2003, 08:41 PM
andyr
Scooby Regular

Have just managed to catch up on Monday's stage - it still looks like the race is still up for grabs between Ullrich and Armstrong as Vinokourov lost time. I agree that this year is one of the best tours in recent years - Armstrong may well have been bluffing for part of today but he is not as strong as in recent years and Ullrich, Vinokourov, Mayo etc are all strong and like Beloki did before he crashed out, are willing to take the risk that their attacks will not crack Armstrong but will only serve to reduce their own reserves. Armstrong's performance on Monday might even have been assisted by his 2 incidents as it got him wound up enough to say "Bugger it, I'm going to give it all I've got and stuff the consequences for the overall if I blow up."

I'm finding it almost moving (!!!) watching these guys - people like Ullrich - not as good a climber as Armstrong but still powers up the mountains, Vino (ditto as Ullrich but he just seems to ride as with the attitude of "I WILL get up this climb"), Hamilton - still going immensely well carrying his broken collar bone injury. Having ridden up some steep climbs in Italy earlier this year just north of Lake Garda (inc the Folgaria which I found really hard) I craaawwllleedd up them and a couple of times I genuinely felt like climbing off and walking - riding roads like that for 5 hrs is just way past normal people.

Whoever comes out on top at the end will hopefully be the deserving winner - unless there's another falling over/crashing incident for one of the top riders !

[Edited by andyr - 7/22/2003 8:42:43 PM]
Old 23 July 2003, 04:03 PM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I think some of the whinging poncey footie players, complaining about too many games for their poor little legs etc., should take a long hard look at Tyler Hamilton, who has just won a stage in the TDF, with a broken collar bone!!!

Cycled for over 100km out in front!

Superb stuff.

Old 23 July 2003, 04:31 PM
ChrisB

Watched my video of the highlights last night.

First class sportmanship from Ullrich and Hamilton in holding up the bunch whilst Lance remounted. Compare that to other sports...

Agreed some of the spectators are complete loons, although I don't think you can blame the person holding the bag Lance caught.

As for D'Huez being 'fun' brooks...
Old 23 July 2003, 05:23 PM
Scooby Regular

Have done Alpe D'Huez. With a touring bike c/w 25kg of luggage.

Computer said I was averaging 8.5mph!
Old 23 July 2003, 10:37 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Yup Chris, have to agree, First class sportmanship !!
But Armstrong !!! What a machine ! Amazing performance and a clever one
Old 24 July 2003, 02:38 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brooks,
I DROVE up Alpe DHuez in snow a couple of years ago. Oh my GOD!!!!
I trust you've written your will....

Nick
Old 24 July 2003, 05:49 PM
brooks
Scooby Regular

Nick, I can hardly wait!!!! I love cycling up mountains. I do race bikes in my spare time. The descents do scare me though!!!!! :O(

I can also hardly wait for the TT in the Tour on Saturday. I predict Armstrong holds on to yellow by 35 seconds (so Ullrich wins the TT by 30 ish secs). Or could we be in for another 1989 finish (Lemond came from second before the TT to win with an unbelievable ride in the TT to win overall by 8 secs)??
Old 25 July 2003, 10:30 AM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Aye - the TT should be very interesting. I'm sure I read that Armstrong admitted that he messed up the last one, but hats off to Ullrich for his performance of old.

Can't wait to see if Armstrong was bluffing, or if the bloke still has what it takes to beat the rest of the field. If his showing on the mountains the other day is anything to go by, we could see him extending his lead.

Top stuff!
Old 27 July 2003, 11:54 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

well done Lance

At least he had to work a bit for it this time
Old 28 July 2003, 03:29 PM
wiltshire_boy
Scooby Regular

Talking

Tyler Hamilton has to be man of the year, 4th overall!

Shame about Ulrichs' crash, it would have added an extra bit of tension but still has to have been the most exciting and interesting race in years.

Might have to get on with some decorating now that the Tour and BB have finished.

Roy.
Old 28 July 2003, 03:55 PM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

What a prospect next year's tour is now! LA is saying that he wants to go for title number 6... Ullrich is back in form now, Hamilton has got to be in with a shout, and so have Beloti (sp?) and the guy who came 3rd overall.

Let's hope they're all fit for the start of the next one.

Plus - David Millar - he looks like a future winner too. He's got what it takes - i.e. great at time trials, and good in the mountains. He's maybe a little young at the mo - needs to build up his stamina levels, but that comes with age.
Old 29 July 2003, 04:12 PM
andyr
Scooby Regular

Having now caught up with the final couple of Tour stages (was at Brands at the w'end) I agree with many people's opinions that this was the best and most competitive TdF for a number of years and had Beloki remained in for a few more days then he might have contributed to Armstrong having a harder time than he did anyway.
Great rides from Ullrich, Hamilton, Vinokourov as well as Armstrong.
Old 29 July 2003, 11:56 PM
wiltshire_boy
Scooby Regular

Can't bloody wait for it to come to the UK.

***** to all the other supposed "strong man" events in the sporting calender, these guys are the only heroes competing these days in my opinion.

Off out for a mild 40 mile off-road ride as soon as the weather improves (well aware of my lack of dedication).

Roy.