Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Beckham Crocked - Is England?

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2002, 11:37 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Beckham out of the World Cup - is this the end of England??

I HATE Man Utd AND think Beckham is an overpaid moron - but, good God, he can fire a team up and score some amazing goals.

I have heard his ankle is broken - are England Doomed without thier Captain?? Sadly I think he is needed if we were to proceed through the group of death

Oh well - maybe in 2006??

Pete
Old 11 April 2002, 12:29 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOL just imagine if Owen had have had bad news from his scan today - Sven may has well have cancelled the airline tickets and saved money.

Is a bitter blow to Man Utds title chances and Champions League efforts but Im sure we'll still give 110%
Old 11 April 2002, 09:50 AM
andrew6321
Scooby Regular

All I can say is....

If a team relies on one person to carry them, then it ain't much of a 'team'. Consequently, if England go out in the first round 'cos Beckham isn't there, then they probably deserve to...
Old 11 April 2002, 12:34 PM
RobJenks
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I am really pissed off with that tackle.
He copped a bad one last week and then this - obviously he has been targetted.
The Argie dog who committed this disgusting tackle lined Beckham up and was intent on causing damage, severe damage.
The history between England and that lot is well documented.
For a start they played host to ***** /war criminals after the war.
Then we had the infamous Ratin sending off in 1966.
Then The Falklands war
Then the Hand of God incident
Then the 1998 sending off of Beckham
Now this planned assault on the England captain.

Beckham wont play in the world cup , if he does take the field the Argies will line him up for sure.We need to get in first -target their best player - Feed Batty on raw liver for a week before the match- then release him!!!

C'mon England
Old 11 April 2002, 12:43 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Talking

Wise up kids - England have no chance even if Beckham is back to full fitness

Trending Topics

Old 11 April 2002, 12:52 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Correct - but do we want to lose EVERY game??

With Beckham - we have a chance, Owen goes down great - Beckham can put a football through a tyre at 30 yards!!!

Pete
Old 11 April 2002, 01:40 PM
carpet
Scooby Regular

Surely this now gives England the plethora of excuses they need when they bomb out in the first round. !

Personally I think they are ****e ! with or without Beckham .
Old 11 April 2002, 02:26 PM
g0d
Scooby Regular

Its wonderful the way these boards allow even stupid people to air an opinion .

England 5 germany 1

nuff said
Old 11 April 2002, 02:45 PM
Maxwell Straker
Scooby Regular

Beckham will be fine....besides its his left foot that, any football fan will tell you, he only uses for standing on!!!!!
Old 11 April 2002, 02:58 PM
g0d
Scooby Regular

we havn't lost a competetive game since Keegan was in charge friendlies don't mean ****. What international side gets your allegiance anyway ?
Old 11 April 2002, 03:58 PM
Darren Thompson
Scooby Regular

Question

Who do you follow then Carpet, what’s your national squad, did they win the last World Cup or are you just being a complete **** ????

As for Becks being **** just ask any manager in the land if they would have him in there team, you don’t get voted into the last 3 of the player of the year if you are crap do you now.

Daz.
Old 11 April 2002, 05:30 PM
TBMeech
Scooby Regular

Location: Surrey Somewhere, From 341 bhp '99 STI V to '98 Merc CLK & '00 Peugeot 306 XSI to '01 E46 M3 :)
Angry

Carpet the football retard by the looks of things, cockmaster...

Beckham is class, he is a key player in our team, it'll be a right b1tch if he doesnt recover in time for the world cup
Old 11 April 2002, 07:49 PM
neilb
Scooby Regular

am sure becks will be OK in time for world cup....we'll still be cr*p though
Old 11 April 2002, 08:40 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

I am a Liverpool fan,but am also an England fan and if Becks misses the world cup it will be a big blow.In the qualifying games he has been an inspiration and it would be churlish to say otherwise.
He is a good healer so maybe there's time......lets hope so

(bitt OTT as the main story on the 6.30 news though)
Old 11 April 2002, 09:23 PM
zoog
Scooby Regular

If it aint deliberate then I 'm the Archbishop of Canterbury. If he doesnt make the world cup then the summer will not be half the fun I'd hoped.

Trouble is even if he heals he wont be fit due to lack of training during the recovery so his work ratre will be dowm and stamina. either way it is a complete shaft up.
Old 11 April 2002, 09:30 PM
Baja
Scooby Regular

Reckon Man U will manage ok in Europe - Alex will get them motivated whatever and Veron looks like he might finally rise to the challenge without Keane and Becks around.

England have always seemed to play well against the best teams but not quite make it. It must be revenge time against Argentina though surely?!
Old 12 April 2002, 07:31 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Talking

England will be fine in the Group of Death - its when they play the minnows, like Scotland, that it gets scary

I see Carpet hasnt come back with his National team yet - couldnt be someone like wales, Scotland or Ireland could it??

England 5 Germany 1 - will see us shake the world ..... but we NEED Beckham

Pete
Old 12 April 2002, 08:07 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

Here's my thoughts:

In many cases I would agree with Mr Lewis - most footballers (in fact the vast majority) are overpaid morons. Beckham is one of the few exceptions. He is a genuine world class player - rated by just about every major coach in the world. Throw in that he is teetotal, trains everyday and is totally dedicated to his club and the game and you see what an asset he is. How many people gave him a chance when he was given the captain's armband (be honest now)?

Personally, I got a lot of time for the bloke (and before you say it, no, I'm not a great fan of ManU (Crystal Palace if you must know )). He does have inspirational qualities that Ericsson recognised when many other managers wouldn't have given him a chance.

In his favour are the facts that a)he is incredibly fit - probably at the peak of his game right now b) the injury isn't as bad as first thought and c)he has access to the best medical care in the world. What do you think the chances are of him being named in the England squad by SGE right at the very last moment? Pretty high I suspect - great moral booster.

Whether England has a team strong enough to mount a serious challenge for the World Cup is debatable, but one thing's for sure, England's task will be a damn sight harder if Beckham isn't there (you also require a huge slice of luck to win )

Chris

[Edited by Chris L - 4/12/2002 8:10:32 PM]
Old 12 April 2002, 10:57 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink

Gerrard Houlier was looking to sign some new players to help Liverpool's title push, so he sent his chief scout to Afghanistan to search for some new talent. Sure enough, the scout finds an outstanding 18-year-old striker and immediately signs him on a 3-year deal.

On getting back to England, Gerrard takes one look at him in training and immediately puts him in the starting line up for the big home game against Man U.

The new lad is fantastic, he scores a hat trick and creates four more as Liverpool romp it 7-0. Ecstatic after the game the young lad phones his mum to tell her the good news.

"Mum" he says, "I've just made my debut and had a great game. The team loves me, the fans love me and the press loves me. Life is great!"

"Well," says his mum, "I'm glad life is great for you. Shall I tell you what happened to us today?. Your Dad's been murdered in the street, your sister and I were raped and beaten in broad daylight, and your brother's joined a vicious gang of killers".

"Mum, I don't know what to say. I'm so sorry"

"Sorry?" She yells down the phone, "You're f*cking sorry? It's YOUR f*cking fault we moved to Liverpool in the first place!!"

Off topic I know but couldn't resist.
F
Old 12 April 2002, 11:04 PM
GM
Scooby Regular

Wink

Perhaps England should take this up with FIFA and see if they can get them to change the Rules - they might even make football a team game..............
Old 13 April 2002, 12:04 PM
g0d
Scooby Regular

Duscher may have been going for the ball not likely but possable diego tristan on the other hand went out to hurt Beckham and nothing else. Anyone who can't see that knows nothing about football

This would have read better on the end of page one

[Edited by g0d - 4/13/2002 12:36:47 PM]
Old 13 April 2002, 02:22 PM
RichardC
Scooby Regular

Wink

I remember a while back when Mr Beckham himself commited some very nasty and often pre-meditated tackles.

RichardC
Old 04 November 2002, 12:31 AM
JohnMcC
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Apparently it is a bone in his ankle that is broken, as opposed to a 'proper' broken ankle.

Last I heard first opinions are that he will be out for at least 8 weeks - AFAIK, the World Cup is in about 7 weeks....its gonna be tight. Obviously, they will be doing every thing to make him come back asap - but I guess there is only so much you can do when bones are involved.

I had a stress fracture in my foot many moons ago, and I never gave it a chance to heal properly, and it kept 'going' - if its anything like that it is so annoying - it wasnt that painful or anything - but you just couldnt run, and kicking a ball was a nightmare (not great for a footballer!!). It basically was the start to a nightmare rugby season for me - out for the first half with that - then I broke my collar bone in my 2nd game back (after having scored a first half hat-trick though ). I effectively gave up after that...

As for our chances - I think we will find it difficult to perform, but for mental reasons rather than pure ability. Not only is he our star player, he is also our captain. Although not the most verbal of skippers - he leads my example. Although we will miss his abilties hugely if he doesnt make it, I think the mere fact that he is absent will have a really negative effect on the team.

Sorry to ramble - anything to put off the work Ive got stacked up in front of me...

[Edited by JohnMcC - 4/11/2002 12:32:51 AM]
Old 04 November 2002, 02:37 PM
carpet
Scooby Regular

When did England last win a game ?

Nuff said !

Ive worked it out for ya !

almost 7 months ago !! and thats with Beckham & co .. youre crap !

[Edited by carpet - 4/11/2002 2:43:37 PM]
Old 04 November 2002, 07:12 PM
RichardC
Scooby Regular

Angry

Regarding the Spaniards being cheating B*stards, this is BULLS*IT.

How many times have Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea etc played a SH*T team in the Worthington Cup to rest players for other IMPORTANT games.

Remember that Deportivo like Arsenal and Man Utd are challenging for domestic honours.

Arsenal would have deserved to go through if they won the games they needed to. They should not have to rely on another team to HELP them.

Rant over

RichardC

[Edited by RichardC - 4/11/2002 7:15:11 PM]
Old 04 November 2002, 08:29 PM
RichardC
Scooby Regular

I admit they were bad tackles, but to say that they were deliberate is rubbish. Next time someone hacks down Veron will you all scream that it was to get him out of the World Cup.

RichardC

Edited to say that in the 1st leg the tackle on Beckham happend in the "90th" minute.

[Edited by RichardC - 4/11/2002 8:30:29 PM]
Old 04 November 2002, 08:33 PM
Christmas
Scooby Regular

Cool

Much as it pains me to agree with Darron T, David Beckham has to rank in the first 11 of any fantasy team. Anyway the latest news appears to be that he should be back in limited training in about six weeks, England's first Group game is in 7 weeks, and I bet he isn't allowing a broken bone to stop him keeping the rest of his body in training.
I do think, as a Liverpool fan though, that it is a shame that he will miss the Arsenal game , however I am still backing the 'Sol Campbell is Spurs plant' theory

Noel

What a thread to take a corner on!

[Edited by Christmas - 4/11/2002 8:34:56 PM]