Notices
Sport General sport discussion

Hatton vs Whitter ... Lewis "may" lose belt

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2003, 02:10 PM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After handing out a rather one sided beating to 39yr old American Phillips Ricky Hatton is scheduled to meet Junior Whitter [who despatched Belgian Haeck in four rounds] in summer.
Any boxing fans out there. What do you think.
Whitter is talented but I don't know about him taking Hatton. If he does it will happen inside five rounds though.

Lennox Lewis may lose his WBC belt if he does not agree to fight Klitshco or Tyson. Another fighter has also been mentioned but can't remember his name now [that high in the rankings, huh].
I think Lewis can't really be bothered with it anymore. Not enough talent out there to make him want to go for a run really ...
Old 08 April 2003, 09:22 AM
biff
Scooby Newbie

Hatton should beat The hitter Witter........
I think Witter is the better boxer, Hatton better on the inside, however I don't think Witter could keep him at bay, plus I'd say Hatton is the tougher.
Vitali Klitscho has filed suit with WBC as Lennox Lewis has not given him his title shot......
they have come to an agreement.....tyson V Lewis (if tyson agrees)
after this Vitali will fight the winner, or if not Vitali will fight Lewis, if Lennox does not he will be stripped of his final title. I don't ever see Lennox fighting either of the Klitschos for the simple reason that he will not get a big payday for the fight, also they may be too much of a threat, Lennox is nearly forty the boys are in their 20s.
As for nobody out there to challenge Lewis, this is nonsense!!!
Vitali Klitscho, David Tua,Chris Byrd, Hasim Rahman (now 19 stone), Roy Jones now holding the WBA title??????
Lewis was undisputed champion, but was made to forfit his titles for not fighting no 1 contenders, I have always rated Lennox but never in History has a h/weight champ simply ducked the no 1 contenders...............
Old 08 April 2003, 12:00 PM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Intersting points.
It took me a long while to rate Lewis after I saw his complacency get him knocked out by Oliver McCall all those years ago at Wembley.
But he does seem to pull off the wins since then.
can't see him fighting Rahman again and your points did make me think again and realise he is not always fighting the No1 contenders.
I really do feel there is not enough exciting prospects in the heavyweight scene at the moment. If Roy Jones Jnr can be confident enough [and no doubting his talent] to give 2 or 3 stone away to some of these guys [and probably win] it doesn't say much for them.
Lewis v Jones might force me to stay up late though.

If Whitter got his jab working and kept focused i think he could stop Hatton [my favourite fighter at the moment] on cuts inside five rounds.
Old 08 April 2003, 02:04 PM
biff
Scooby Newbie

YEAH................
David Tua fought Rahman just over a week ago to a draw and it was very competitive. I think Tua would be a serious threat to Lennox also, however at 37 I'd say Lewis has just 3 fights left. Jones is by far the best Boxer out there, however there's not a lot he could really do to guys at 250 lb plus.
Witter and Hatton will be good , it is always my belief that a better boxer can beat the fighter, so if Witter keeps him in the centre he has the best chance, however I still favour Hatton on sheer aggressivness.
At the moment the lower divisions in the states are heating up , with F Vargas, De la Hoya, Mosley, Hopkins, all excellent fighters, however the heavyweight division is in tatters.
There should be a box off competition to unify all heavyweight titles, all no 1 contenders should get a shot, , any champs that do not want to fight ( even though he's the self proclaimed "emperor" of heavyweights) like Lewis should step aside............