Sport General sport discussion

Who actually plays on the BBS ?

Search this Thread

Old 06 April 2003, 10:44 PM
ash1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Just wondered how many people that post actually play the game ?

If so, what level and what position ?
Old 07 April 2003, 10:50 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

I play in the West Riding County Amateur League. Centre back.

Another season of mid table mediocrity
Old 07 April 2003, 10:56 AM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

I mainly referee, but am looking to start playing again as the girl's/ladies teams are in abundance over here in Aus, unlike the UK.
I used to be a goalie, so hopefully I will be continuing as one after some training.
Old 07 April 2003, 11:42 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I used to play Sunday League until a broken tib and fib and torn ligaments put an end to that, 2 weeks in hospital titanium rods and pins and 2 months off work !!

I still miss playing, played at right wing back and loved it, I dont miss fat beer/curry/b.o. stinking thugs you had no purpose but to intimidate and kick you up in the air, it was always a pleasure skipping over their slow late challenges and pinging up the line
Old 07 April 2003, 12:38 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Funkii Munkii,

That is why I stopped playing Sunday morning football. it's full of pi55ed up idiots only out to kick people.
Old 07 April 2003, 12:40 PM
ChrisB

Ouch FM

When I was in hospital (broke my femur in a car crash), the guy opposite me came in from a game of Sunday footy.

Bust tib & fib. He had a nice big metal contraption hanging out of his foot and was off his face on morphine most of the time.
Old 07 April 2003, 03:50 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

I dont play for a team as such but play 5 a side with the lads from work every thursday indoor and now its better weather we are playing outside once a week too.

Got a grudge match on the 17th - Sales Vs Tech Support. Last year we (Techsup) won 6-1 so it should be good.

Simon.

Trending Topics

Old 07 April 2003, 05:20 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Angry

Yeah that morphine was fantastic, it certainly kicked in after they had given me a half cast supporting the leg from underneath, they asked me to lift my leg up and the fecking thing broke and my foot disapeared round the back of my leg again, i was sucking on the gas and air for my life (great stuff by the way), they had me walking on it two days later which was hell then someone actually listened to me and realised i had torn ligaments as well, i wouldnt want to go through that again it was a year of getting back to normal, so obviously i gave it up, i still play a bit of 5 a side and its been 7 years now you just dont worry about it as much, the leg doesnt hurt its the rest of the body that bloody aches
Old 08 April 2003, 10:37 AM
manny
Scooby Regular

I still play three times a week, used to play northern league but after a few nasty knocks i'm now 5 a side only, won loads of trophies over the years and loved every minute of it!!
Old 08 April 2003, 10:54 AM
TheScooby
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I love playing the game, centre midfield is my current position, I like it because you get a bit of everything Never had an injury as bad as some of you lot Only a bit of a pulled ligament of something or other near my knee, wasn't too bad, but it hurt like hell....
Old 08 April 2003, 12:15 PM
ash1
Scooby Regular

Smile

I play 5s twice a week, had incredible strike ratio, but then moved to attacking left back.

Tonight (due to lack of striker penetration) I am up front.

Looking fwd to it as well.
Old 08 April 2003, 12:18 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

You play positions at 5 a side? When I play we tend to defend with man to man marking. Attacking it's much like basketball. You go forward as a team trying to find space and work an opening.
Old 08 April 2003, 07:26 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

We play positions at 5 a side too. Always people who are better at defending or attacking. Otherwise you tend to find holes appear.
Old 10 April 2003, 02:14 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
I play 5 a side midweek and 11 a side on Sundays in the Leatherhead and district league.

I also broke my tib and fib, its was 7 years ago - also had gas, morphene and titanium pin, in that order! pin came out 18 months later.

Justin
Old 10 April 2003, 03:28 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Justin, it's no fun is it, I must admit I felt a lot better once I had the pin out. I foolishly played in goal in a kick about down the park with the pin still in and boy did it hurt when i was diving about, within 10 minutes I was back outfield.

Maybe we should start a new thread "Beat this footballing injury" or depending how you look at it

Dave
Old 10 April 2003, 04:26 PM
Little Miss WRX

Well, I can only come in with torn ligaments in both knees......and it was a refereeing incident.
Old 10 April 2003, 05:48 PM
ash1
Scooby Regular

Smile

Well, had a decent game this week, moved from Carlos left back to Raul up front due to inability of our striker in past three months. So decided (as team manager) to drop him to defence and me to play up front. Won 9-5, scored 7 from say 11 chances.

Work on philosophy of hit the target and make the keeper work. Roll on next Tuesday.

Have to play positions otherwise it ends up being like keystone cops. All you need is communication between players.
Old 10 April 2003, 05:52 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Unhappy

How'd you manage that Michelle, book Roy Keane??
Old 11 April 2003, 10:03 AM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

LOL.

It was my fault entirely, I hould have actually refused to play on the pitch as it was waterlogged in a couple of places. It was a friendly under 10's match and they were all keen to play.
None of the players got injured....it was me who got stretchered off the pitch.

Basically, the little buggers were playing the long ball, so I was running up and down and up and down the pitch.

Well, towards the end of the match, I ended up in the really boggy area...one of th players hoofed it up the pitch as I was running down, I turned....my upper body did, but my legs stayed put. I heard a lovely ripping sound coming from my knees and I nearly passed out with pain.

Quite embarrassing really, the ambulance crew were sniggering the gits!
Old 11 April 2003, 11:18 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Smile

Dave, you're bringing back the memories..

Not being able to walk for 8 - 10 weeks isn't fun, however I still remember the incredable elation you feel when you do walk for the fisrt time unaided

The first week after coming out of hospital is a leveller, from sleeping at night to the simple task of having a wash having to be adjusted. Hobbling on crutches to the kettle to make a cup of tea, then realising I couldn't take it back to the table! LOL had to drink it standing on one leg next to the kettle, you only do that once, usually on the first time you've been left on your own during that 1st week

I was fortunate in the fact that it was a clean break, with the pin in I could drive to the hospital to physio after 5 weeks (break in the left leg) driving a 309 with a light clutch.

My left knee will never be the same (slight numbness in places due to the 2 operations getting the pin in and out) I have about 5 degrees rotation in my foot and a strong chance of arthritis (sp) in my later years. There are a lot worse medical conditions out there, but I wouldn't wish a broken leg on my worst enemy.

Justin
Old 11 April 2003, 04:26 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Justin

It all sounds too familiar, I still have no feeling in part of my right knee, I had the lunch system down to a fine art, my first attempt was chips pastie and beans by the time i'd hopped to the lounge it was everywhere, beans were out after that, I used to put my food in sandwich bags, one in each pocket and one gripped between my teeth and unloaded them when I got to the table

I know what you mean about driving, I was followed by the police one afternoon on the way home from Physio and they even followed my up my road, so there I was having to get out of the car trying not to limp or grimace.

Ive still got an x-ray at home showing a 1/2 inch gap between the bones and a nice rod and screws, still got the rod and screws somewhere with a nice bit of gristle still stuck to it

Dave
Old 20 April 2003, 12:42 AM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

I play 5 a side every week and 11 a side during the summer months with some blokes from work. Gets a bit heated at times, but we are all usually sober!

Steve
Old 20 April 2003, 06:03 AM
caz1562
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I play 5's twice a week with guys from my work mainly running about like an idiot.

I also play 11 a sides for a Sunday Pub team in goals. Not bad for a short ****.

Claim to fame - Played in goals for 90 mins on Glasgow Rangers Ibrox hallowed turf with Mark Hateley.
Old 20 April 2003, 08:00 AM
EDDIE`5COOB
Scooby Regular

Is this thread about playing football or how people are mamed playing the beloved game.
I played in the Chesterfield and the Sheffield leagues for years until last year when I decided to retire on a high(got promoted)due to niggling little injuries and pulls that seemed to take longer and longer to shake off.
Well I was enjoying my well earned rest just sitting on a bankside fishing when my old side rung to say they wanted me to play in a match because their keeper had to work,by the way I used to play for them in goal,I thought "what could possibly go wrong".
Well twenty minutes in with score standing at 0-0 I bravely or foolishly dived at the forwards feet got the ball just as he dived in with both feet onto my right hand,resulting in one middle finger knuckle snapped underneath,one dislocated finger and one severed tendon,wired up finger,two days in hospital,10 weeks off work,no insurance,no money.
After all that I still miss it.
The gloves are well and truely hung up now.

Eddie.
Old 21 April 2003, 12:32 AM
ash1
Scooby Regular

Smile

Eddie, apart from that I'm glad you're fine !!
Old 21 April 2003, 01:42 AM
NAF
Support Scoobynet!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

I play!
Not very good tho

Super striker!
Old 21 April 2003, 01:44 AM
Michael_Owen
Scooby Newbie