Notices
Sport General sport discussion

Rant - how miserable can Alex Ferguson get ?

Search this Thread

Old 02 March 2003, 09:00 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

What is it with the man ?
- Never says sorry when sticking the boot in...
- Never says we were crap or the other team were better ...

Today its "adversity affects all of us and we have to deal with it and get stronger from it"

For a change, how about trying "Thanks to all our fans for a great day out, its a shame we didn't win but Liverpool made it an entertaining match?"

Magnamimous in defeat ? Magnamim-**** more like.

Discuss..
Old 02 March 2003, 09:32 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs down

He's an immature brat who can't understand that he can be beaten. All other managers seem to be able to praise other teams every now and then. I think he's lost some respect fom his team for his changing room tantrums.

No FA cup and now no worthless cup either- boo hoo!

F
Old 02 March 2003, 09:40 PM
Big Col
Scooby Regular

[ferguson] vewy pwoud of my pwayers [/ferguson]
Old 02 March 2003, 09:58 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

OY Floyd - Noooo!

My team are now ex-Worthington Cup holders and it did get us into the UEFA cup (to lose to Celtic)
Old 02 March 2003, 10:11 PM
Kosy
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Im with big Col

Very pwoud, very very pwoud
Old 02 March 2003, 10:48 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

The whole "we played well but disserved to lose" attitude is what's wrong with our sporting nation. You would never hear the Aussies saying that as they always play to win! It is something I have massive respect for. I think this is the way Sir Alex is. He is a man who always wants to win and when he doesn't he is rightfully upset.

Stop been a big girls blouse, to you it may only be football but to him it's his job and pretty much his life. I wonder how you would deal with it in the same situation.............. don't answer that as I'm not interested in the reply.
Old 03 March 2003, 06:28 AM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

According to Fergie on Talk Sport, Liverpool only won because of the brilliant goalkeeping by Dudek.

Errr, not that L'pool were the better team on the day & were far more composed, with no inter-team bickering

If the 3 glaring misses from Owen, Heskey & Smicer had been converted, who knows what the scoreline might have finished up as.

As one flag said yesterday......"What we achieve in life echoes in eternity"

Trending Topics

Old 03 March 2003, 06:48 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

And I thought you went Lynne??
Yes Jerzy actually won you a game this time around, he was outstanding yesterday as were H&H.

Liverpool the better team, Hardly Liverpool had the better game plan, albeit a very boring one, sit back and soak up as much as possible and break when u can, dont commit anyone forward and we might get lucky and get a goal, or two even your own supporters were chanting attack attack attack in the first half, PMSL who would have thought the great Liverpool would won day transform themselves into a poor copy of the 80's Arsenal side

Congratulations on your win, at least your in europe and you usually do well in the UEFA.
Old 03 March 2003, 09:16 AM
Scumbag
Scooby Regular

Interestingly (or not) the reasons as to why you perceive victory is an area called Attribution Theory (IIRC) The more successful the individual, the more they tend to credit success to internal factors that they have control over (eg skill, hard work), and defeat to external factors which they have no control over(weather, luck).

This shows up in all sportsmen/women in different sports.

Fergie is just an extreme example of this. The reasons behind these kind of statements would be interesting to know. He may actually believe them (I think not), but he may just be backing his players in public (before rollicking them with flying boots in private). He has always been very defensive of his players...and does a good job of diverting as much attention from them as possible - this may be an ego thing for him, or it may be because he feels this is the best way of forging a successful team.

It could be part of the building of a team - the most successful teams (in many non-sporting areas) are generally ones that feel isolated, with a strong leader, and common purpose. Unfortunately this also makes them poor at working with others outside of their own team (ring any bells with International football set-ups?)

Anyway, enough psych-babble, he's still a ****
Old 03 March 2003, 10:21 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

He is a man who always wants to win and when he doesn't he is rightfully upset
Not always. When he was Manager of Aberdeen and they played Rangers in a cup final - he famously came out and said something like "If I see another performance like that from an Aberdeen team I'll leave - that was an absolute disgrace" - The thing is Aberdeen won the game
Old 03 March 2003, 11:16 AM
alexf
Scooby Regular

So none of you read (or maybe chose to ignore? )Fergie's comments after the game the other weekend against Bolton at the Reebok, when he praised the Bolton players and openly admitted that we didn't deserve anything from the match?

Don't forget that the vast majority of Fergie's comments to the media are calulated to irritate and annoy people, and deflect any critiscism away from his players after a defeat. They seem to be working, even after all these years......

[Edited by alexf - 3/3/2003 11:17:33 AM]
Old 03 March 2003, 01:27 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Missed that one and fair point, but would he have said that if Solskjaar(sp) hadn't equalised at the end ? Who knows.
Old 03 March 2003, 01:35 PM
neilbbb
Scooby Regular

all i can say is well done liverpool...and fergie can f*ck off (in the nicest possible way)

managers and their hyprocisy (sp?) really gets on my nerves. ferguson, wenger and o'leary will come up with every excuse under the sun to protect their team.

didnt see the incident, wrong colour shirts, the pitch, didnt have their shredded wheat this morning...we've heard it all before

at least when chelsea lost to blackburn last week the manager had the courage to say the team played like sh*t (and i am sure he has come up with bullsh*t reasons in the past before you say it)

a little honesty wouldnt go amiss

bottom line is liverpool won the cup, noone will remember fergie's b*ll*x excuses in 3 months time
Old 03 March 2003, 08:29 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Personally, I always try never to listen to Fergie after a match when the Mancs have lost. The fans played a big part in Liverpool's win too. Looking down at the other end, the Manc fans were wooden, no glags - no banners draped over the sides. Not a sound from them before the game, yet Liverpool fans were singing for a good 30-45 mins before kick-off.

At least the majority of Lpool fans have stuck by their team through the bad times and never lost faith. Ther Mancs were streaming out in their 1000's after Owen scored. They didnt even wait to clap the Mancs off the pitch or see them get the runners-up medals. Call themselves supporters - eh?

There seems a lot of disquiet within the Manc team as well with arguing between themselves!!
Old 03 March 2003, 09:01 PM
Scumbag
Scooby Regular

They'd obviously all got prawn sandwiches in their Mercs...they go off if left for too long
Old 03 March 2003, 10:08 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Redkop

RE the Man U fans

I saw exactly the same in the Spurs fans when Blackburn won last years Worthi Cup. They started leaving 10 minutes from time and couldn't be bothered to applaud their team at the end or stay.

I kid you not, by the time the Rovers presentation started, the Spurs crowd had gone from 37000 to about 7000 tops.

If we had lost I know most of us would have stayed and waved a flag! Must be something else we have in common with Liverpool ?
Old 04 March 2003, 03:13 PM
555wickedways
Scooby Regular

Fergie.
Newver looks happy unless he has had a drink and got a red nose..
Old 04 March 2003, 06:23 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Talking

I bet fergie cant wait for 14th Mar then RND03
Old 04 March 2003, 06:39 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Cool

lol

Tonight Matthew I am going to be pleasant to people with John Prescott on the drums
Old 04 March 2003, 06:54 PM
alexf
Scooby Regular

>>>>> Looking down at the other end, the Manc fans were wooden, no glags - no banners draped over the sides. Not a sound from them before the game, yet Liverpool fans were singing for a good 30-45 mins before kick-off.

I think you need your eyes testing then Redkop cos there was plenty of banners above me in the United end (I was in block L12), admittedly not as big as some of the scouse ones, but there was plenty of them.

>>>>> At least the majority of Lpool fans have stuck by their team through the bad times and never lost faith

Reallly? So how do you explain all those empty seats at Anfield every other week? And before you say that they're full of gloryhunters and/or daytrippers, we never had a problem with our attendances during the 70s and 80s
Old 04 March 2003, 11:49 PM
ash1
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

All I've had over the past few days is that all of a sudden its not a worthy cup. All the posts on this forum suggest that it hurts deep down inside.

What gets me is that Red Nose is supposed to be some kind of master strategist, well over the past two years we have played the same strategy against manure and come out winning 6 times out of 7. Its doesn't take a mastermind to deploy an alternative strategy.
Old 05 March 2003, 04:31 PM
None Prouder
Scooby Regular

Smile

alexf

- err 1. the 70's and 80's are a bit different to now, I remember paying £1.25 to go to the Stretford end in the early 80's (for a laugh you understand), a bit different now.

2. The empty seats you see are not at league games, unless the poxy away support hasn't sold their allocation. Sometimes we do badly for attendance in Europe (like everyone else in the early stages of the ****e boring Champions League or UEFA Cup) or the Worthy, like scum so not alone there.

3. Banners - take off your red devil tinted specs and have a look (not that it is really that important) but your lot let you down badly in quantity, size and quality, and as for general support, what a joke. Not even hanging around to applaud the team when they got their losers' medals - you should be ashamed. The mark of a champion is knowing how to lose, as well as knowing how to win.
Old 06 March 2003, 12:55 AM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

None Prouder

Well said! I have just watched a tape of the game and all I can hear are the Liverpool fans - sometimes the monotonous chant of United United can be heard fitering through, but not that often. It was a disgrace how the fans left before the final whistle. At least your team deserves some respect or merit if they lose. Alway been the same with the so-called Manc fans for as long as I can remember. Bet they hate it at Anfield when they can't leave before the final whistle, because they are always kept behind for 15 mins after the game has finished

It's a well known fact that the ticket office at Liverpool have to reject at least 20k applications for each league game at Anfield.
Old 06 March 2003, 01:27 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Fergie:
"We had to baton down the hatches at the end but you have to give Leeds credit for that."
Its funny what you find if you actually look.

Simon.
Old 06 March 2003, 09:30 AM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Talking

But they won - that's the point.

What about when they lose ?!