Notices
Sport General sport discussion

David Beckham.....your opinions...

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2002, 08:44 PM
south-star
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even though i support Liverpool,i'm one of his greatest fans.His determination and capacity for hard work are what makes him a great player,...probably more than any footballing talent.

Any more Beckham fans out there
Old 14 October 2002, 10:28 PM
titmarsh
Scooby Regular

Smile

wish he played for wednesday,desperatly need some insperation
Old 14 October 2002, 10:54 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Nope
Old 14 October 2002, 11:02 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Redkop...........very blinkered view again!

Beckham is Pure Class. His vision, touch, range of passing, ability to strike a ball, level of consitant perfomance, WORK RATE and many other attributes make him one of the best players in the world.

There are better players but not many and I dont believe there is a beter right foot in the world.
Old 14 October 2002, 11:27 PM
neilbbb
Scooby Regular

good player, no doubt

but what a tw*t off the pitch. oh, and he should have been sent off for that tackle on saturday
Old 14 October 2002, 11:57 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

define what makes the bloke a "tw@t" off the pitch then?
Old 15 October 2002, 12:39 AM
NAF
Support Scoobynet!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well Wearing his wifes knickers for a start
Old 15 October 2002, 12:41 AM
NAF
Support Scoobynet!

Can take a pretty mean free kick though I must say ...
Old 15 October 2002, 08:01 AM
neilbbb
Scooby Regular

and the sarong, and the silly haircuts.

but seriously him and posh (snigger, snigger) don't exactly shun the publicity and the parties. even fergie has asked him to tone it down.

my point is if i open a newspaper i want to read about a footballer's achievements on the pitch, not what he is wearing ...
Old 15 October 2002, 08:47 AM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I actually like Beckham as a footballer.
Though recently he seems to be getting a bit reckless with his challenges and arguing with referees.
Is he trying to be like Keane when captaining United?
Couldn't really care less about him off the pitch.
Old 16 October 2002, 10:08 PM
south-star
Scooby Regular

First half tonite he was pure class.......shmae some of the others weren't...
Old 16 October 2002, 10:10 PM
south-star
Scooby Regular

double post.

[Edited by south-star - 10/16/2002 10:10:39 PM]
Old 16 October 2002, 11:50 PM
worley
Scooby Regular

Beckham demonstrates what Engerland is all about. I know he may play for the Scum but he is shear class and credit is where credit is due.
Old 17 October 2002, 12:04 PM
co55ie
Scooby Regular

thing is if Beckham owen scholes gerard campbell etc etc were actually as good as people thought don't you think that the results obtained by england would reflect this ?
Old 17 October 2002, 12:25 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Beckham was world class last night.

Unfortunately, he was the only one.

SCholes was a liability, owen was unmentioned, Smith was predictable, Vassell couldn't finish... *sigh*
Old 17 October 2002, 12:35 PM
merkin
Scooby Regular

Personally i think he is a credit to the game, fantastic player, and also a great ambassador figure for kids, and judging by last nights performance we need to be encouraging the next level of kids to be able to play decent football

(and I don't support Man U, I support West Ham, where Beckham is usually as welcome as herpes)
Old 17 October 2002, 02:12 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Redkop...........very blinkered view again!

Beckham is Pure Class. His vision, touch, range of passing, ability to strike a ball, level of consitant perfomance, WORK RATE and many other attributes make him one of the best players in the world.

There are better players but not many and I dont believe there is a beter right foot in the world

Not a blinkered view at all! Just my opinion! I cannot agree with your comments about consistant performances, I have seen him play quite a few crap games and ermmmm what other attributes??? Surely you can't mean his petulant behaviour, his sulky & childish attitude at times or his naff hairstyles or how he wears a sarong and sandals so fetchingly

If I was given the choice of Beckham or Gerrard......I would choose Gerrard anyday and that's not being biased because I support Liverpool, but on what I have seen!!!

[Edited by Redkop - 10/17/2002 2:30:30 PM]
Old 17 October 2002, 02:30 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

chiark - Couldn't agree with you more!

You also forgot to mention that Seaman should have picked up his P45 as he left St. Marys last night.

Totally gutted over the game but at least they kept on bringing the ball forwards and trying - even if they were not trying hard enough.

Rich
Old 17 October 2002, 02:34 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

oops - went a little off topic there!

IMHO (coming from a Newcastle fan) I think Becks is a world class player.
Old 17 October 2002, 03:58 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Not a blinkered view at all! Just my opinion! I cannot agree with your comments about consistant performances, I have seen him play quite a few crap games and ermmmm what other attributes??? Surely you can't mean his petulant behaviour, his sulky & childish attitude at times or his naff hairstyles or how he wears a sarong and sandals so fetchingly

If I was given the choice of Beckham or Gerrard......I would choose Gerrard anyday and that's not being biased because I support Liverpool, but on what I have seen!!!

He is a very consistent performer. He has been playing for the most successful team in England during the last 10 years and when fit (which is most of the time) he is a certain starter for Man Utd. If his level of performance was not consistently high I suspect he would not be starting.

Other attributes ......how about his dead ball delivery/shooting (probably the best taker of free kicks in the world), ability to perform in the pressure environments/big games (a major attribute of any great player) and you could now add the ability to lead his team by example.

Petulant behavior? Like all footballers he is prone to moments which are regrettable but in the heat of a game often happen. After 1998 it's just that the press now blow any small incident out of all proportion. I would also say that he has matured as a player since "that sending off" and has improved his conduct of the pitch.

As to having a go at the blokes hair and dress sense...........just look at the high street in most large cities and you will see that what he wears one month invariably becomes a high street fashion a few months later. Put it this way...........most blokes would love to look like him and be able to get away with wearing what he does. There are not many woman that don't fancy him. I'll stop now before you start to think I'm gay (resist any cheap shots here). I think you can see the point I'm trying to make.

I think Gerrard is a good player and will become a great one but he's not in Beckhams class just yet. It would help if he could stay fit for longer because when he's not Liverpool and England miss him.
Old 17 October 2002, 04:11 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Angry

RAOTFLMAO

Gerrard Better than Beckham, Beckham is good, very good but Gerrard better apart from the goal last night I havent seen him do anything other than play the long ball game, something he and the rest of the Liverpool team have mastered under Houllier and for what??, England are technically and tactically inept and Macedonia and Slovakia showed more ability and creativity than England have, I'm as p1ssed off as the rest of you are, the Premiership may be the best league but its the Foreign players that make it so.
Old 17 October 2002, 08:24 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Have you been to any Liverpool games Funkii - I very much doubt that you have - so you are basing your inexperienced view from having watched Gerrard on the TV - it's amazing how views differ from the armchair supporters to the ones that actually go to the matches

Other attributes ......how about his dead ball delivery/shooting (probably the best taker of free kicks in the world), ability to perform in the pressure environments/big games (a major attribute of any great player) and you could now add the ability to lead his team by example

Ok - dead ball delivery - not bad - seen better from a master at it [Jan Molby]
Shooting....about average for a midfielder, he's not really prolific at scoring goals is he?
Ability to perform in the pressure environments/big games - now you have me laughing uncontrollably...last night was a classic example of him showing his lack of ability to perform 'under pressure'...he should have been shown a second yellow for his second two-footed tackle in the game. Yeah great example of a leader - NOT!!

After Gerrard's operation in the summer, he has played 16+ consecutive games. The injury last night was due to a knock on his hip, hardly his fault and no-way relating to previous injury problems
Old 17 October 2002, 08:51 PM
co55ie
Scooby Regular

sorry I agree with redkop everybody rants on about beckham I believe he is a great club player but doesnt cut it at world level apart from a couple of free kicks he hasn't really done much. Similar sort was John barnes a great payer but not for england.
I personally rate gerard over beckham and at least he doesn't wear skirts can speel his own name and doesn't have a minging wife
Old 17 October 2002, 08:56 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Redkop
I'm not going to get into a slanging match as it really isnt worth it I have seen Liverpool 3 times in my life "in the flesh", 1977 Cup final Wembley and twice at Old T, you lost all three

All i will say about Gerrard is he is Ok but he couldnt lace Mr Souness's boots, that's what u want from a central midfielder, too many players are over glorified these days because football has become the money machine it is , I think I prefered footy from the 70's, 80's what u saw was what u got in those days, due to the TV coverage I have seen a lot of Liverpool matches, Ok im not there in the flesh but ive had the various camera angles untold replays, player cams and so on, so Ive had a good look at a lot of clubs and players and there are an awful lot of overated players out there earning in obscene amounts of money and Gerrard is still one of those in my eyes, but he is one of those players who could go on to become a world class player, time will tell, right now he's not even close.

I'm not afraid to praise players from other teams or criticize players from my own team and thats the way it should be not the blinkered bull **** you read on here from time to time. IMHO

Cheers

Dave

Edited to say

Cossie, Beckham is not the brightest, granted, but have you ever heard Gerrard being interviewed????? but hey thats footy.

[Edited by Funkii Munkii - 10/17/2002 8:59:18 PM]
Old 17 October 2002, 11:53 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Ability to perform in the pressure environments/big games - now you have me laughing uncontrollably...last night was a classic example of him showing his lack of ability to perform 'under pressure'...he should have been shown a second yellow for his second two-footed tackle in the game. Yeah great example of a leader - NOT!!
Oh Dear.......I think you've just made an erroneous comment there! Last night he was the player who was doing his utmost to drive the team on, winning the ball, playing swift accurate passes, trying to get the other player to raise their game....oh and he scored quite a good goal as well Gerrard was the only other player who looked like he was up for the game and played some quality accurate pass to all corners of the park.

Anyway the statement "Ability to perform in the pressure environment/big games".......Let's just look at the recent events. World cup qualifier...90+ minutes.....final game and England are losing. Who scored the 30 yard free kick that put England into the 2002 World Cup Finals! Then there was a small matter of playing Argentina. A team England often fail to get the better of in the World Cup. Who was it who scored our only goal from a high pressure situation...... err.....David Beckham. I can't help feeling you are grasping at straws with your comment about the supposed yellow card. An incident that is gone and forgotten and happens many times over the course of a weekend in the Premiership.

I hate to say it but I cant help thinking it's your Liverpool connection that is clouding your judgement. I hope so otherwise you blatantly know nothing about football!
Old 18 October 2002, 12:32 AM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

"Swift, accurate passes" were you watching through rose coloured specs? I will praise any player that I think is good IMHO - but Beckham does not come anywhere near good in my reckoning, I have not even said that Gerrard is a world class player either. Beckham has too many flaws in his game to be rated as world class and is hyped up far too much by the media.

BTW I have been at the last 5 games L'pool v Man U - ermmmmm 5 wins to the Scousers I believe

FYI
PREMIERSHIP STATS 2002/03

Opta Index Premier Opta Stats

Top Shooter: Thierry Henry 33
Top Passer: Steven Gerrard 563
Top Tackler: Patrick Vieira 54
Most Dribbles & Runs: Thierry Henry 82
Most Crosses: David Beckham 124
Most Offsides: Clinton Morrison 16
Most Fouls: Alan Smith 29
Team with most fouls: Blackburn 161 (9 Games)
Team with most shots: Liverpool 119 (9 Games)

Passers Accuracy
S Gerrard Liverpool 563passes 77%
D Hamann Liverpool 545 91%
D Beckham Man Utd 519 76%
P Vieira Arsenal 516 88%
F Lampard Chelsea 491 76%

Ahem.......I rest my case

Old 18 October 2002, 01:39 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Talking

Spot on Sti, very clouded, borderline blinkered

Its to be expected
Old 18 October 2002, 02:13 AM
Little Miss WRX

Thumbs down

If the youth of today are looking on Beckham as an idol.

GOD help them, 'cos **** all else will <shakes head>
Old 18 October 2002, 02:28 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Go to bed
Old 18 October 2002, 08:30 AM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Thanks Chelle - seems we are the only two that appear to know what we are talking about

These armchair supporters are all the same

Before you lot go off on one - I don't agree with what the media say either on how good some Liverpool players are.

I have been a Kop Season Ticket holder for 12 years now and have only missed 3 home games. I go to the majority of away games and have also travelled to Europe to watch them.

My judgement is not 'very clouded or borderline blinkered' but based on FACT! It's impossible to have a proper discussion with people such as you Sti and Funkii who have such narrow, tunnel vision. Why can't you accept that not all people think Beckham is a great player. It's so sad that you have to resort to saying about being biased, just because someone doesn't agree with you!

There are a lot of players from other premiership teams that I admire and in the past a few from Man U, but Beckham isn't one of them.

I suppose you'll be saying next, that because I own a Cossie, I should sell it and get a Scooby

[Edited by Redkop - 10/18/2002 9:09:42 AM]

Quick Reply: David Beckham.....your opinions...