Search this Thread

Old 07 June 2002, 03:00 PM
Osama Mc Donalds
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Am I alone?

[rant mode on]

What's this football thing all about I can't understand how people can support a bunch of people they have never even met and be so caught up in a stupid trend.

It seems to me that a lot of people have no originality in what they have an interest in and can be a bunch of sheep when it comes to football [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

It's interesting how so many people support football in the UK and not so few follow Sumo Wresteling or Snowboarding?

I wish that there were as many people interested in changing the world for the better as there are interested in stupid football

[rant mode off]
Old 07 June 2002, 03:04 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Oh stop being so miserable. I follow England when they're playing in any sport. It's called patriotism.

There's enough ****e going on in this country without being miserable about our national team doing vaguely well in the most popular sport on the planet....
Old 07 June 2002, 03:06 PM
HKSubaru
Scooby Senior

I just support our country in the world cup, it's a big event. Only happens once every four years, so enjoy it! If not, just go driving, the roads are free from cars!
Old 07 June 2002, 03:08 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Question

One other thing (and it's been said before to people moaning about the world cup): if you're so uninterested in footy, what the f**k are you doing reading the World Cup forum?!?!!?
Old 07 June 2002, 03:09 PM
popeye
Scooby Regular

I bet you're a real laugh-riot down the pub.
Old 07 June 2002, 03:22 PM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

Wink

Footie sux - this is a well proven fact of life.

It's neither fast nor loud...hence...it's boring.

/J
Old 07 June 2002, 03:24 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Cool

I wasn't there, but I'll bet the England fans weren't particularly quiet in the stadium today.

But you're right about not being fast. The second half was far too bleedin' slow!
Old 07 June 2002, 03:25 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

J/

Turnip football is neither fast nor loud...

Did you see ****** again last night?

Nick.
Old 07 June 2002, 03:31 PM
Osama Mc Donalds
Scooby Regular

MarkO,

Hey I wasn't reading anything in this Forum I would just like to know if I am the only person on this board who feels this way that's all. To me football is incredibly boring.

It's a funny thing that patriotism is mentioned as that's my main point about people changing the country for the better, like instead of spend millions trying to find a cure for cancer why not help get rid of the pollution that causes the cancer in the first place.

I can understand why people enjoy watching and even playing football, I am not moaning about that! There is just way too much emphasis put on football by way of the corporate media who urge people to buy into every little manufactured pop-trend.

So come on everybody who really hates football on here?

Osama

[Edited by Osama Mc Donalds - 6/10/2002 10:46:27 AM]
Old 07 June 2002, 03:41 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

FFS

Don't read this forum then!

BUT it's our national squad representing our country.

HAVE SOME PRIDE

My in laws are in Oz, they are passionate about their country, they buy local produce when they can and SUPPORT their country in international events, it's time we supported our country more.

greg
Old 07 June 2002, 03:42 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Question

What on earth are you talking about? Pollution/Cancer?!?!?! Pesticides, smoking and inherited cancer are far bigger than than pollution-related cancer.

You're talking like supporting the football will somehow be to the detriment of other stuff in this country. Which, of course, is utter bollocks.

Why not support the English team and try and work to improve the other problems in the country/world?!?
Old 07 June 2002, 03:43 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Angry

Shut UP!!!!

I'm not going to try and explain to you as you clearly wont understand
Old 07 June 2002, 03:44 PM
AndiThompson
Scooby Regular

YOu know, interesting idea, dont know if anyone else has thought of this? But anyway, if you don't like football.. [b]DON'T GO IN THE WORLD CUP FORUM

ahem.
Old 07 June 2002, 03:46 PM
HKSubaru
Scooby Senior

WOW!
Football is football, it's gonna always be talked about in the pubs, some people like it, some people hate it.
I only watch match's worth watching, but when it comes to England, i won't miss it, because i want to see my country through!

It's all the hooligans which make football bad.
Old 07 June 2002, 04:03 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Not so sure about that. I find that the Scottish & Welsh (and even Irish) 'patriotism' can be fairly offensive, particularly when it turns to unfounded anti-English aggression.

Unless England are playing them (or would be adversely affected by their victory) I'd always be rooting for the other members of GB over and above the rest of the world, and Ireland too (although that's partly 'cos I'm 3/4 Irish-blooded). It's just a shame the neighbourly enthusiasm is rarely reciprocated...
Old 07 June 2002, 06:01 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Osama

As one of the people who pushed and pushed for the Football Forum albeit a World Cup one (who knows if it will stay, it should mods )

I find your thread a total pile of **** , until now 9020 people have visited the forum in a week, obviously a lot of repeat offenders. There are forums I rarely visit but i certainly dont go into them and leave a post who thinks computers are crap for instance. Chill Out, its not like your evenings TV viewing is dominated by constant football, I bet u watch Big Bros

Dave
Old 07 June 2002, 10:36 PM
HKSubaru
Scooby Senior

you seem to know a lot despite not liking football osama.
Old 10 June 2002, 10:44 AM
Osama Mc Donalds
Scooby Regular

Hey,

I could say the same to you lot!

Why are you on a "Who really hates football" thread if you like football, the answer is I can go where I please if I want to

I don't need individual peoples opinions (which you are all entitled to) I just need would like to know who really hates football LOL
Old 10 June 2002, 12:21 PM
bros2
Scooby Regular

Osama

So, to answer your question, very few people in this forum (if indeed any) hate football.

Does that sort it for you?

Bros

PS You might have more success in the General forum, but several people have already done this. The answer, for your benefit, was thatsome people hate football, but many more do not.
Old 10 June 2002, 01:20 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Osama - Not sure where you are coming from with this but I think you'll find that football puts a whole lot more back into this country than You or I ever will. I also believe that this will be replicated around the world - You need to get out a bit more and see people that dream about representing their country in something they LOVE - You sound like you could do with getting some PASSION in your life

Sending in your £2.50 to Live Aid each year doesn't cut it [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 10 June 2002, 05:57 PM
Maz-old
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Don't like football, don't post in the 'World Cup' Forum.

There are plenty of people that don't like football, in the same way as I don't like ballet. Personal choice. My personal choice is that you post elsewhere.

M.
Old 06 July 2002, 03:58 PM
IanWatson
Scooby Regular

(mate - your username really doesn't add to the credibility of your posts - seems a shame, 'cos you it seems you often have a reasonable point to make)

You are entirely within your rights to dislike football - but I'm not convinced by your reasoning.

There were 120,000 people forcing there way into Wembley Cup Finals before WW2, let alone pre-Sky/BSB so it's perhaps incorrect to suggest that the level of following can be blamed on the media.

Without doubt a few billion has been made on the back of this enthusiasm, but it comes from far deeper than 'following trends' or media manipulation.

There's a big primeval side to it - major elements of pack behaviour, reinforcing one's collective identity - we're still animals despite DVD's, Subarus and space travel.

You seem to cite the patriotism element as a negative facet, (although I'm not entirely clear on your point) but despite the mindlessly violent (tiny) minority I think football-related patriotism can be a very positive thing.

It strengthens the bonds between individuals, gives a common cause and the game itself is a good example of self-control, talent, team work and individual flair, not to mention the simple fact that despite the nationalism involved it's still basically a decent contest on the pitch.

Aggressively defensive 'patriotism' is something we should be fighting against - knee-jerk anti-immigration, religous and racial stereotyping - which is something that we English do well. (I hate to refer to your username again, but I will)

I'd far rather see the equally nationalistic, yet far more positive football-related patriotism that the Scots and the Irish seem to manage.

[Edited by IanWatson - 6/7/2002 4:02:05 PM]
Old 06 July 2002, 04:13 PM
IanWatson
Scooby Regular

hehehe!!!

Mark - I'm the same, I'll support Scotland or Wales over anyone but England.

But... I can do that out of charity as I know that England are the better team

(I'm half welsh btw)

[Edited by IanWatson - 6/7/2002 4:13:32 PM]
Old 10 July 2002, 11:47 AM
Osama Mc Donalds
Scooby Regular

Glad it's all over yeeeeeeeessssss!!!!

Stupid hooligans game [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

A few more years of NO WORLD CUP thank ****
Old 10 July 2002, 01:26 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

3 Years and 47 weeks to go 'til Germany - can't wait
Old 12 July 2002, 03:06 AM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

Everyone has to have a go stirring with the wooden spoon at some point in their (posting) lives

It is just some get more of a stir than others (pslewis )

Old 12 July 2002, 05:01 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Osama
U will be pleased to know the new footy season starts in about a months time and we have the European Championships to look forward too in 2004 so fear not u wont have to wait until 2006

Dave