Brands Hatch

Search this Thread

Old 01 July 2000, 06:29 PM
GRANT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Hi all,
recieved the letter about the SIDC AGM as well as letter about the Brands Hatch track day.
Anybody going from North London,Herts and interested in going in convoy.
Also any good insurance companies providing cover for single track days
Old 02 July 2000, 07:21 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Grant, cant help with the convoy as Brands is 10 mins away...... What a shame.

Insurance, try Eggar Lawson, 0115 9415255

Dan
Old 02 July 2000, 08:09 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Grant

07.30 sign on for 09.00 start. Coming from Cambs with ususal morning traffic. How about Birchanger services 06.30?

AKA JamesH
Old 03 July 2000, 12:42 AM
MattT
Scooby Newbie

Can someone post details of the Brands Hatch meet. Dates, cost, organisers contact details, etc.

Cheers

MattT
Old 03 July 2000, 12:58 AM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Matt,

I think this one is a SIDC members only event. If you are a paid up member, details should have been forwarded to you already.
Old 03 July 2000, 01:07 PM
MattT
Scooby Newbie

Hi David,

I get it - but do I have to be a fully paid up SIDC member to spectate?

When is the event?

MattT
Old 03 July 2000, 08:52 PM
GRANT
Scooby Regular

Matt,
The track day is 27th October cost £120.00 per person.Payment to reach the club address by 27th September.
According to the flyer no passneger is allowed unless the driver is ARD'S registered.

Grant
Old 05 July 2000, 02:07 PM
STi Andy
Scooby Newbie

Question

Is this event on the full GP circuit, Indy
or what??

A.
Old 05 July 2000, 02:28 PM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Angry

I believe it is only on the'indy' circuit - another thread somewhere confirms this I believe would love to try the big circuit

Also you will need a 'Type A' helmet - ie full face only b****y track I know that requires one of these

Hence I won't be attending

Yex
Old 05 July 2000, 10:40 PM
PhilHulse
Scooby Regular

Can the helmets be hired at Brands?
How hard will it be on tyres/brakes/engine etc. (My first track day in my own car) Any advice and assistance would be most welcome.

Phil
Old 06 July 2000, 08:56 PM
GRANT
Scooby Regular

Phill,
I spoke to Brands Hatch today and as long as you tell them as soon as you arrive they have a selection of helmets to use.

Also spoke to Eggar Lawson today about insurance and they quoted £55 for £6000 worth of accident cover with an excess of £750.
This can be increased by £10 per £1000 of cover.
Grant
Old 06 July 2000, 11:14 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Phil

My first track day was at Snetterton in May. I had brand new SO2s & Brembos. The SO2s were slightly fazed F/N/S (lots of right-handers) but hardly worn at all really. I thought I would've shagged 'em but no. Brakes weren't an issue ( ) but I would recommend uprating from standard if you can. As to engine & gearbox, no worries at all. I believe I was quite gentle on both, with no slam changes & rev-limiter action. At the end of the day, you're not racing & you have to drive home.

I would recommend "Prodriving" the tracking/alignment as it removed the understeer & provided more confidence in the cars ability. Also ask for & use an instructor as that is what they are there for. I did a few laps without, a few laps with (& he had a drive too) & then a lot more (faster/smoother) laps after

Don't worry about other people overtaking you, just try & follow them as it will improve your driving chasing their lines (except for complete loonies who are looking for a spin - easy to spot ).

Relax & enjoy. I had Pink Floyd at full volume, not ZZ Top
Old 07 July 2000, 09:38 AM
PhilHulse
Scooby Regular

Puff,
Thanks for that. I have done Brands once before one one of their driving experience days. I was totally frustrated at not being able to exceed 4000rpm and desperately wanted to take my RX7 on a track day there but never got the opportunity. One of my main aims is to get used to the P1 as standard so that I know it's limits for day to day driving(only in emergencies of course) so I don't intend doing any Mods and I'll probably be the one being overtaken. This is not a race but a learning experience as well as an adrenalin pumper. Also looking forward to meeting all you top blokes from this BBS and checking out the other scoobs.

Cheers,

Phil
Old 07 July 2000, 02:16 PM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Hi all.

I seem to remember that Brands was not that demanding when, like Phil, I did one of their driving courses (pre 'Nigel Mansell') Again, like Phil, I was frusrated at being limited to 4000rpm in the single seaters but my instructor always encouraged me to push the XR2i as far as I could. BUT an XR2i is a bit different to a Scooby

As far as tyres go, I rented a part-worn set of S02's and alloys from Tyres of Northampton the last time we were at Donnington. 200 + track miles later and they looked no different. If my current set of SO2 are still legal come October, I'm more than convinced that they will survive the day.

Brakes: From memory, Brands doesn't really have the max speed - brake hard for tight corners - max speed that Donnington has (although what sort of speed would a sccoby get up the hill prior to the hairpin?), so I hope that my SS Brembos and Pagid Blues will be more than adequate.

This is all pending the fact that I've blagged a place of course!!!!!