Notices
Southern (England) Southern Meetings & Events

Anyone going to Goodwood in June?

Search this Thread

Old 03 May 2000, 12:23 AM
stan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Ford vs Subaru Rally car challenge is on again this year although the drivers haven't been confirmed yet.
Old 03 May 2000, 11:40 AM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

Question

The Festival of Speed takes place from June the 23rd to the 25th. Just wondered if anyone was going and does anybody know if Richard Burns will be there again??
Old 03 May 2000, 05:11 PM
Stupot
Scooby Regular

Mark, me and a few mates are up for it.
Stu
Old 03 May 2000, 05:44 PM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

I remember last year Neil Oxborrow (where are you by the way) organised a convoy down there (there were so many scoobys going in at the same time the police asked if they were breeding )

We're thinking of going down on the Sunday so if you post where you are I'll try and sort out meeting point if anybody is up for a convoy ( I can't believe I've just volunteered myself for this)

Mark

PS If you don't know what the festival of speed is it is a timed hill climb on the Goodwood Estate. The cars range from past and present F1 cars, WRC's, 60's GT cars, group B monsters, etc
Old 03 May 2000, 06:50 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Yeah I'll be there Friday and Saturday with another scoob.
Prodrive will probably have Burnsey there and Ford are apparently using Radstrom I think.
Take note Sunday tickets are only available by advance booking. It's also a good idea to go on the Friday if you want a good look around the paddock as its not so busy then.

Cheers

Chip.
Old 04 May 2000, 01:45 PM
Rob Wood
Scooby Newbie

I'm in Worthing, so i'm definitely up for it. Might be able to rustle up another couple of scoobs too.
Old 04 May 2000, 07:26 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll be going on the friday, the other two days are far too busy. last year was a great day out. It was good to see the WRC going up the hill at full tilt.
Old 04 May 2000, 09:39 PM
GRANT
Scooby Regular

Talking

This year I don't want to miss out.Only one thing on the web site I couldn't find any details.

If any one has any more details they would be appreciated such as prices.

Grant
Old 04 May 2000, 11:13 PM
Rob Wood
Scooby Newbie

Yup, friday is probably the best day from a quietness point of view. My informant chatted to Eddie Irvine last year for about half an hour on the Friday, since everything is so relaxed. He went on to say that Sunday is by far the busiest because everyone wants to see the 'finals'. Something like £9 for friday, £16 on the day. £16 for Sat, £26 on the day, and then £27 for Sunday, no tickets on the day. Now this was a phonecall with a fundamentally confused relative, on a cheap cordless phone (obviously not mine!) so don't hold me to those.

I too was a bit disappointed to see absolutely no details at all on their website. Do these people have any appreciation of what the web is all about? Tut tut.

Old 05 May 2000, 10:40 AM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

Cool

Have a look at the news section on the Goodwood web site

This is taken from it

Four of the top teams from the World Rally Championship will star at the Goodwood Festival of Speed in June, in a special “RAC World Rally Cars” class, bringing
the cars and star drivers closer than ever to thousands of rally fans.

The Festival of Speed will see Richard Burns in the Prodrive Subaru, Marcus Gronholm in the Peugeot 206, Petter Solberg in the Ford Focus and Alister McRae in
the Hyundai Accent on the famous Goodwood hill in a sequel to last year’s shoot-out between Burns and Colin McRae.

All four teams are preparing the cars especially for the 1.16 mile tarmac stage, bringing works team mechanics and engineers to Goodwood in the middle of the
world championship season.

Mick Linford, Motorsport Manager for Peugeot Sport (UK), said, “I am very grateful to the WRC team for not only making a car and Marcus available, but also
for enabling us to compete with the 206 WRC at this increasingly popular event. We certainly intend to give Richard Burns and the others a run for their money. This
is, I believe, a very special opportunity for the public to see this exciting and technically advanced car, and in friendly surroundings, rather than in the depths of a
forest.”

The Earl of March responded with a tribute to the teams: “To have four world rally championship teams at Goodwood in June is truly fantastic. We can expect a
very exciting spectacle as these top drivers tackle the Goodwood hill in the very latest spec rally cars. Now we have four Grand Prix teams (Jaguar, Jordan,
McLaren and Williams) as well as the WRC cars and I believe this is going to be a fantastic event for the spectators.”

Enthusiasts will be able to see the cars and drivers at close quarters in the RAC World Rally Cars paddock where the engineers and mechanics from the four WRC
teams will prepare the cars especially for the challenging tarmac stage in Goodwood Park.
Old 05 May 2000, 01:05 PM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Go to :
Old 05 May 2000, 01:14 PM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Cool

I'll try and get their this time...

Got very,very drunk at Ascot on the Friday last year and missed the arranged convoy on Saturday...mind you I won a shed load of money so getting drunk was a reasonable follow up

Yex
Old 05 May 2000, 04:55 PM
MarkL
Scooby Regular

Are the F1 and WRC cars there on all three days?

I went last year (missing the convoy down) and had a fantastic day, except for the terrible sunburn! I'm planning on gong again this year but am thinking of the Friday if it doesn't mean missing out on cars.
Old 06 May 2000, 09:29 AM
Ian Sutton
Scooby Regular

Talking

I think Friday sounds good for me too, if all the cars are going to be there.

Went Sunday last year, apart from it having the worst crowds it also had the worst weather out of the 3 days.

Anyone up for the Friday then??

...Ian
Old 06 May 2000, 11:14 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

I'm there Fri and Sat with another scoob.Where is everone staying overnight.
Cheers
Chip
Old 23 May 2000, 06:23 PM
MarkL
Scooby Regular

Friday was looking good for me, but I got this back from one of the contact people for the event and now I'm not so sure...

"I think to see the F1 teams and World Rally drivers you'd be best coming
along on Sunday. Most should be there on Saturday but I can't guarantee
that they will all be there. Friday is practice day and not all the
drivers will arrive on this day so you may miss out.

I'd go for Sunday - arrive early - and enjoy!"
Old 24 May 2000, 06:51 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Mark
I was there last year on the Friday and both rally and F1 teams came out to play. Hopefully be the same this year as Im there Fri and Sat.
Cheers
Chip
Old 26 May 2000, 12:34 AM
Mark Green
Scooby Regular

Talking

I will try my best to be there.

I went on Sunday last year and it was brilliant.

See you all there.

Mark