Notices
Southern (England) Southern Meetings & Events
View Poll Results: Should we set up the seperate ESC forum - as detailed below?
I am part of ESC : Set it up - good idea
49.02%
I am part of ESC : Don't like the idea, we're happy here
5.88%
I am not part of ESC : But I think its a good idea
33.33%
I am not part of ESC : Can't see the point, they are fine here
11.76%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

ESC private forum

Search this Thread

Old 24 March 2005, 10:32 AM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ESC private forum

Ladies and Gents

It has come to my attention that the ESC are keen to have their own forum.

We have been, for some time, devising a way to allow all those who want their own forums to be able to achieve this without all the debate.

The best method we can think of which satisfies those who want it, and also helps to support the general scoobynet community is as follows :

We will set up an additional section called something like "community forums".

Within this, your forums can be set up. If we consider this forum to be something which will be of interest to a reasonable number of people, we will set this up free of charge.

Anyone who wants to use this forum can subscribe to it for a very small charge. Something like an option for £1 a month, or £5 a year. As part of this, you get a small icon under your name branded (in this case "ESC") to match the forum. Plus members can, of course, access these forums for no charge.

If we consider the forum is less likely to interest a lot of people, you can still set this up, as there is every possibility that we are wrong, and you are right. But you will need to pay £50 to set this up, which will be refunded once more than 20 people sign up to it.

In the case of the ESC forum, we would set this up FOC as a trial.

If a forum becomes more popular, it will be promoted to the main forum list.

Please vote if you would like us to set this up for you and give it a trial.

All the best

Simon
Old 24 March 2005, 10:38 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Gets my vote!
Old 24 March 2005, 10:52 AM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've voted yes. I'm not a member of the ESC but without all their posts in the Southern forum i'll find it easier to spot the East Sussex ones!
Old 24 March 2005, 12:38 PM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

Finally!

Although I think that charging for the privilege is not a viable solution. Having the ESC in our own area will actually benefit the southern forum as it will allow all the other counties who are not as active as the ESC to have their own space to try and develop into being as successful as Essex.

Why should we have to pay for something which is actually a benefit to scoobynet???

p.s. I have read the part about plus members already being able to access the area but I am referring to the large majority of essex members and southern members that are not plus activated.
Old 24 March 2005, 01:01 PM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

gangsta: dont you see that this way they get you to sign up as a plus member!!!

i totally agree with what you are saying also.

what's the point of giving ESC their own section if they have to pay to get access to use it
Old 24 March 2005, 01:05 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

I totally agree the ESC should have their own place, whenever SS posted a thread it was lost after an hour so we decided the best way was to get a home of our own as we are not nearly as active as you lot, good luck and hope it goes well, I may even start posting in southern again

AP

Last edited by andypugh2000; 24 March 2005 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Told off by webby for url ;(
Old 24 March 2005, 01:06 PM
terryb
Scooby Regular

I think it's a great idea

Then the ESC can **** off to somewhere they'll be wanted..

Only kidding - I'll be active in there too as a Plus member so you won't get away from me that easily.

You guys deserve it with all the time you spend on here. Just don't forget the rest of us Southerners..
Old 24 March 2005, 01:36 PM
VTEC to Turbo
Scooby Regular

Gets my vote as well!

But as it has already been said, charging won't neccessarily get all the ESC over to our own section when we could still use the southern section for free!

Obviously we are an active county, we don't like to get it in the neck (although we can easily take it!) from others who aren't as active! It's probably more of a benefit to them, than it is to us!!
Old 24 March 2005, 01:44 PM
VTEC to Turbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by VTEC to Turbo
Gets my vote as well!

But as it has already been said, charging won't neccessarily get all the ESC over to our own section when we could still use the southern section for free!

Obviously we are an active county, we don't like to get it in the neck (although we can easily take it!) from others who aren't as active! It's probably more of a benefit to them, than it is to us!!
This is not a pop at less active counties! Looking forward to meet everyone at a meet near you, soon.

I love all Scooby owners even the Scottish ones!
Old 24 March 2005, 01:44 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Would we need to pay the fees just to contribute, or would we not be able to see any of the threads if we don't pay?
Old 24 March 2005, 01:54 PM
Budgie
Scooby Regular

i live in bucks not essex but i go to as many events as i can
whether they be kent, essex, middx or hants
i personally dont mind things the way they are
i enjoy working my way down the southern list when i get
in from work and post on any thread that takes my fancy
i believe there will be little gained by giving the ESC their
own space other than pacifying some less pro-active
individuals from other areas
i have refrained from voting

budgie
Old 24 March 2005, 02:00 PM
v5 man
Scooby Regular

Im not an Essex member, but do think that the time and dedication put in by TINY and co desevres its own space............FREE OF CHARGE!!!

Just to echo the above post (Telboy), could we not post on their section without paying then?
Take Brighton this weekend, im seriously thinking about joining up with them on their organised day out, but would I even know about it, or be able to log an interest on the new Essex section if were to come in effect?

Cheers, Cliff
Old 24 March 2005, 02:16 PM
VTEC to Turbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by v5 man
Im not an Essex member, but do think that the time and dedication put in by TINY and co desevres its own space............FREE OF CHARGE!!!

Just to echo the above post (Telboy), could we not post on their section without paying then?
Take Brighton this weekend, im seriously thinking about joining up with them on their organised day out, but would I even know about it, or be able to log an interest on the new Essex section if were to come in effect?

Cheers, Cliff
Don't think about it, DO IT, You should come mate!
Old 24 March 2005, 02:22 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

If you want a private space, then you should pay for it... be it with your own website or a dedicated forum here.

If people wish to view that space, it should be free.

That way you can keep all your events together, but still leave it open for all to view and come along.

No problem with the ESC and I will probably pop along to some of the meets soon, but from the Southern forum, you would think there was only activity in Essex! You guys must have very understanding wives/husbands/partners or are single!!!
Old 24 March 2005, 02:56 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

SN plus members should still get the ESC logo as well as access within their membership
Old 24 March 2005, 03:31 PM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy Tang
If you want a private space, then you should pay for it...
ESC are basically being told to have our own private space by other non-active regions (probably just jealous we have a more active calender of events )

Originally Posted by Andy Tang
You guys must have very understanding wives/husbands/partners or are single!!!
ESC events cater for all the family, which is probably why we're so much more active in events.

very good & valid points from V5 Man about paying to have to view the private section.
Old 24 March 2005, 03:36 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rb5 286
ESC are basically being told to have our own private space by other non-active regions (probably just jealous we have a more active calender of events )

ESC events cater for all the family, which is probably why we're so much more active in events.

very good & valid points from V5 Man about paying to have to view the private section.
I actually voted for you guys to stay where you are, as I don't believe there is a need your own forum, hence the comment, if you want one then it should be paid for! Should other regions be catered for specifically? What about the Scottish guys.... oh, they had to move the SIDC board!

The other comment was a joke, hence the ...

Don't take it so personally, the thread asked for comments, I think I've given a pretty unbias one!
Old 24 March 2005, 04:08 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gangsta Smurf
Finally!

Although I think that charging for the privilege is not a viable solution. Having the ESC in our own area will actually benefit the southern forum as it will allow all the other counties who are not as active as the ESC to have their own space to try and develop into being as successful as Essex.

Why should we have to pay for something which is actually a benefit to scoobynet???

p.s. I have read the part about plus members already being able to access the area but I am referring to the large majority of essex members and southern members that are not plus activated.
Most of the other counties have their own website so thats not an issue.Theres plenty of counties that are just as active as ESC but its only posted on the local website and not SN Is it not a better idea to set up your own ESC website?? after all its easy enough and there would be no subscription charge
Old 24 March 2005, 04:13 PM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

A good point was made my VTEC ... if we are told that we should pay for the privilege of having our own forum - just so that the other counties can have some space in southern - then we'll just continue using southern anyway.

It is for the greater good that we should have our own section of scoobynet - paying for that is riduculous.

I know it's only a nominal amount being floated by the webmaster but it's the principle of having to pay that I totally disagree with!
Old 24 March 2005, 04:15 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

OK

I'm a little confused

It appears from the voting that the vast majority are for it.

However, the posts appear to indicate otherwise.

The difficulty we have, is that we receive up to approx 10 requests for new forums a week. It makes it very difficult for us to accept some and reject others.

I don't want to end up with hundreds of forums.

At least with this very small charge (I'm sure most people could afford a fiver a year for something they really want this much) will help to support scoobynet, and if nothing else is just a nice gesture to say thanks for all the support.

Please tell me honestly, as we want to sort this out for you - because, on the whole everyone is being very respectful and balanced about all this (thank you!) - is the money really an issue - or is it just the principle?

Thanks everyone

Simon
Old 24 March 2005, 04:15 PM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby-tc
Most of the other counties have their own website so thats not an issue.Theres plenty of counties that are just as active as ESC but its only posted on the local website and not SN Is it not a better idea to set up your own ESC website?? after all its easy enough and there would be no subscription charge

Yeah but this is the whole point of scoobynet. Having just an essex website would not allow us to access the knowlege base that scoobynet has. I for one hate having to flick between sites to see what's happening. Also a lot of us attend events organised in other counties. We ARE the most active area by a significant amount and are being penalised for it ... that is the issue here.
Old 24 March 2005, 04:38 PM
pjhsid
Scooby Regular

Is this going to be a ESC Meetings forum or a ESC free for all? As it stands now the Southern Forum works because the ESC keeps the posts to meetings, either arranging or 'after chat'. The odd, "PINK POLOS" post and the "ESC - They Suck" posts crop up, but once in a blue moon. If a forum is subscribed to by ESC then the potential is the posts will become diverse and not meetings specific. They need to be disiplined to ensure the guidelines are stuck by (maybe even prefixing posts with "ESC" for meet specific ones?)

Also, we are starting to encouraging active members only to view the ESC and so potentially Kent, East/West Sussex, etc. meets will be overlooked in "the other forum".

As respect to Tiny, I think he should decide.
Old 24 March 2005, 04:43 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

OK

I tell you what we're going to set-up as a TRIAL...

We'll set up a regional section, and allow the addition of groups and clubs within it. We will create an icon for each major club, and you can pay a small ammount (to be confirmed) to say thank you / show support for scoobynet and your group / club which will give you the icon. This will be completely optional, and scoobynet will be very grateful for it if you choose to pay it.

I hope everyone will be happy with this, and I must state again that this is a trial only.

All the best

Simon
Old 24 March 2005, 04:45 PM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

the only reason we had a geek off recently was because idiots like trumptton post up garbage and create hostility ... so naturally he/she (whenever trumptton decides) was asking to be flamed out of the forum.

Pink polos is a serious thread ... you won't be able to miss us at the next meet - 40 people in our summer 2005 shirts!

Anyway back on topic. I see a regional section has cropped up just below general. Looks like the cogs are turning!
Old 24 March 2005, 04:46 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Simon, any chance of moving it down?

To around the subscriber forums area?

Just so we don't break up the general community forums?

Nathan..
Old 24 March 2005, 04:47 PM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

any chance of moving our posts into the forum ... as I don;t think any of us has the time to start every ESC post up again.
Old 24 March 2005, 04:48 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

I can see every region wanting there own forum soon
Old 24 March 2005, 04:48 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Simon

Much better.
Old 24 March 2005, 04:49 PM
Budgie
Scooby Regular

i still feel that all southern events should be on the one forum
this will help all areas to get together for certain meets
ie the brighton trip
i do not like to surf around each areas website to find out
what's going on
scoobynet is the best and most informative site i know
if it aint broke then dont fix it
as for tiny deciding i am sure he will as always put his
crew members before himself and ask them
as for £5 pound a year being nominal this would soon add
up if i were to view all counties in the southern area

budgie
Old 24 March 2005, 04:56 PM
pjhsid
Scooby Regular

I guess it's now set up? How do i subscribe?

Quick Reply: ESC private forum