Notices
Southern (England) Southern Meetings & Events

knockhill anyone ?? 28th Sept

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2002, 08:17 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how many of us "southern contingent" would be willing to travel to knockhill on 28th September (Saturday) for a trackday organised by SIDC.
Here's what they e-mailed me today.

The club has again secured a weekend booking on one of the best driver's
track in the country. This will most likely be the last circuit event of the
year, so is one not to be missed.

The club has exclusive use of the track from 9am to 1pm (open pit lane), and
you can take part for a mere £65. Numbers are limited to guarantee quality
time, with free instruction available from the resident instructors. Wheels
Around (01764 662897) will again play a supporting role, by changing any
wheels and tyres etc on the day, as well as having numerous wheels, slicks
and tyres for hire (or purchase).

Contact John Stewart on john@sidc.co.uk for more information. You can even
book on-line at http://shop.sidc.co.uk.
------------------------------------------------------------

Questions are :-
Is this a track suitable for newbies (I will be if we go)
is it a good track (they say it is but......)

Andy

EDIT: to make link to shop clickable (cos I'm nice like that )

[Edited by Fuzz - 8/27/2002 8:19:07 PM]
Old 28 August 2002, 04:52 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

now there's a ******* surprise four views in two days...seems like it's too far or too much hastle for most of us shandy drinkers.

Andy
Old 28 August 2002, 05:46 PM
softwizz
Scooby Regular

Cool

Andy, you shouldn't take it personal!

I did western Scotland on holiday a few weeks back, and for me it involved a solid eight-hour drive not counting stops, to reach as far into Scotland as Knockhill is. I love driving, but I like to drive my Scooby on interesting roads, where and when the traffic allows me to have interesting experiences. Sixteen hours of motorway is a bore.

I've done bigger runs than that when I needed to - my record for one day is currently Munich to Reading (783 road miles clocked). But I'm going to get as much fun on the Exmoor run as I would be likely to have at Knockhill, and with none of the drawbacks.
Old 29 August 2002, 06:51 AM
JohnS

Thumbs up

Everyone,

there is something else which may tempt a few of you up from down south happening. It's not an official SIDC event, but bascially involves a mini-tour of Scotland after the event.

We have had quite a few people travel up from the south for our events at Knockhill, and we regularly get a few from Ireland. Most would travel up on the Friday, and stay locally. There are quite a few local hotels and B&Bs which can be used for not much money. There are also a few local owners who often have spare beds, or even floor space available.

Best route up is actually via the M1/M6/M74 before cutting off to Edinburgh or wherever.

I live in Aberdeen, and although Knockhill is my local circuit, it's still nearly a two hour drive for me. You don't need to drive all the way up on the Friday night, as you can have an early departure on Saturday morning, and drive an hour or two to get to the circuit.

The circuit itself is quite small at only 1.3 miles in length, but it packs in almost as much corners as the bigger tracks, which makes it a lot more interesting in the twisty bits. It's certainly the circuit that a lot of the BTCC cars drivers prefer.

Anyway, we've been organising event there for a few years now, and they are always well attended, and seem to run very smoothly these days. It's won't all be Imprezas remember, and you will have to share the track with a few smarties (colourful Lotus Elises), caterhams, TVRs, and sometimes somthing quite different!

We have a wheel/tyre van on site, who can deal with any tyre quries, supply new tyres and even rent out slicks mounted on Subaru wheels if you are interested.

Anyway, after the event - a few owners (including a lot of smarties!) are planning a mini tour of Scotland, heading across to the west coast/Skye direction for a weekend jaunt. Taking in some of the best driving roads in the country. A lot will be planning to camp out overnight somewhere, and those who like their creture comforts will spend the night in a nearby B&B or hotel. No doubt copious amount of alcohol will be consumed in the evenings. Some will be returnign home on Sunday, but others will carry on for the full Sunday, and return home on the Monday.

John