Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Late Spec C and Spec C RA-R availabilty?

Search this Thread

Old 09 November 2016, 10:36 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Late Spec C and Spec C RA-R availabilty?

In about 6 months time or so, I'm going to be looking for a new car and may well get another Impreza.

I'm in two minds whether to get a new (or new ish) Impreza and use it as daily or keep my oil burner and get a weekender "Toy"

If I go for the toy, I want a nice limited edition one that I can enjoy and hopefully be a little bit of an investment. I do look at P1 and Type R and other classics but I'm quite keen on hawks too.

So, how available are the Spec Cs and RA-Rs? And what colour did the Spec C hawks come in? Quite like white, black or blue - or the odd custard RA-R but quite happy with the Spec C versions - not looking for overall performance or "trick" goodies. Just want a nice car to enjoy.
Old 09 November 2016, 01:05 PM
harry007
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I have the Spec C type RA. Its a truely awesome package. I always itch for the RA-R. Its far superior in spec and more raw. Good choice to have either one of them. They will also appreciate in value over time. The RA only 350 and the RA-R I think 300 only. Pretty special cars to have, drivers cars, tricked out with all the STI goodies.

Thanks
H
Old 10 November 2016, 01:20 PM
huzzy1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loads of Spec C's available. RA's not so much so and RA-R's even less.

I take it you want a Hawkeye model?

I've had a Hawkeye Spec C and a Hawkeye Spec C Type RA and a 22B and I'm looking for a RA-R myself as a winter bit of fun now the GTR is parked up.

A link to my old RA, minter:

https://www.scoobynet.com/subaru-444/1027875-subaru-impreza-hawkeye-spec-c-type-ra-5000-miles-for-sale.html
Old 10 November 2016, 01:36 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can get one even later than a Hawkeye!
Old 10 November 2016, 06:20 PM
Steve777
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 53
Unfortunately you're a bit late to the party. Importing one is going to be expensive and the ones that are here are not freshly imported or ropey grades and equally expensive. The choice is very limited from a few month/years ago.
Stu, I'd hardly describe my garaged 17k mile Spec C Ropey
Old 10 November 2016, 10:39 PM
harry007
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by huzzy1
Loads of Spec C's available. RA's not so much so and RA-R's even less.

I take it you want a Hawkeye model?

I've had a Hawkeye Spec C and a Hawkeye Spec C Type RA and a 22B and I'm looking for a RA-R myself as a winter bit of fun now the GTR is parked up.

A link to my old RA, minter:

https://www.scoobynet.com/subaru-444...-for-sale.html
Thats correct. Neither mine is ropey
Seems you have owned all the correct cars then. But im like, I insist on having a RA-R. Its just that little more special.

https://www.scoobynet.com/members-ga...c-type-ra.html

Last edited by harry007; 10 November 2016 at 10:40 PM.
Old 10 November 2016, 10:54 PM
harry007
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53
Old 11 November 2016, 12:08 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys.

I'm not beyond importing one if a really good one can be found even if it costs more. I'd rather pay for a good one I'll want to keep as a long term investment.
Old 11 November 2016, 01:17 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you're after driving fun and a bit of an investment without spending silly money ie £20k+ then I'd go for a Type R (which is what I have) or an S202.

I think you'll get more out of them from a driving perspective and investment percentage gain too, with them being older they'll appreciate faster.
Old 11 November 2016, 05:09 PM
mike74
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Almost certainly too late to the party in terms of investment potential, asset bubbles don't keep blowing up forever and ever.
Old 11 November 2016, 05:30 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 641 Likes on 467 Posts

There are other, newer spec C`s
Name:  189_zpscbdwqfdc.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  174.8 KB
Old 11 November 2016, 05:36 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
sikkk pic
Old 11 November 2016, 05:55 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZANY
sikkk pic
More to the point "sick" car.... Drove that one a while back and the feel in the steering and suspension etc is similar to a properly sorted classic...
Old 11 November 2016, 06:08 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV
More to the point "sick" car.... Drove that one a while back and the feel in the steering and suspension etc is similar to a properly sorted classic...
Defo a sikk car and Wow...I didn't think any newage or newer scoob could be same feel in the handling department to a sorted classic but then again I've never had the pleasure of ever driving one I've only ever owned newage and classics
Old 11 November 2016, 07:01 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
If you're after driving fun and a bit of an investment without spending silly money ie £20k+ then I'd go for a Type R (which is what I have) or an S202.

I think you'll get more out of them from a driving perspective and investment percentage gain too, with them being older they'll appreciate faster.
I'd equally be happy with the Type R but would only want V5/6 and only in grey or a V Limited (the one with the roof vent and blue seats). Just have to sit and wait for one to pop up I guess - could go down the import route but I'd have to go through a supplier.
Old 12 November 2016, 08:03 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
I'd equally be happy with the Type R but would only want V5/6 and only in grey or a V Limited (the one with the roof vent and blue seats). Just have to sit and wait for one to pop up I guess - could go down the import route but I'd have to go through a supplier.
I was never a fan of the V limited blue seats, I think the console is blue too, always looked a bit gash to me.

I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss the S202 though, they're going to be like a little gold mine especially if you could find one in yellow, probably the best Subaru to invest in right now with prices still being relatively low @ sub £15k they'll be double that in the next 5yrs, mark my words.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 12 November 2016 at 08:06 AM.
Old 12 November 2016, 08:29 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

I'd get on the phone to Max @ Hurst cars and bag this one if I were in the position to buy a weekend toy with good investment potential, miles are slightly higher than i'd like but you'll struggle to find any of the slightly older cars with sub 50k on the clock, as a weekend car you'll probably only put 3 to5k max on it a year, so not so bad over time.

http://www.hurstcars.co.uk/used-cars...01606084709610

He's got this one too with even more miles, but I'm a sucker for black cars.

http://www.hurstcars.co.uk/used-cars...01609127678218

Both got the wheels, spoiler and exhaust too, which are must have items and don't appear to have been messed with.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 12 November 2016 at 08:36 AM.
Old 13 November 2016, 08:22 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Had a look at the cars offered by Hurst. This looks pretty much what I want from a classic. Would want to know why the A/C has been removed.

http://www.hurstcars.co.uk/used-cars...01610309265299

Or a RA. Save myself some 2 door tax.

http://www.hurstcars.co.uk/used-cars...01608076577132

Are Hurst OK ??

Last edited by EddScott; 13 November 2016 at 08:24 PM.
Old 13 November 2016, 09:00 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Both top dollar if you ask me, not really going to see any sort of investment gain on either for some considerable time, I wouldn't pay £15k for a Type R or £11k for an RA right now, maybe in 5yrs, but if that's what you want then it's your money.

Not dealt with max @ hurst myself but he has a good reputation from what I've seen on here.
Old 13 November 2016, 09:16 PM
type-ra
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by EddScott
Had a look at the cars offered by Hurst. This looks pretty much what I want from a classic. Would want to know why the A/C has been removed.

http://www.hurstcars.co.uk/used-cars...01610309265299

Or a RA. Save myself some 2 door tax.

http://www.hurstcars.co.uk/used-cars...01608076577132

Are Hurst OK ??
It depends what you are looking for. Both look pretty original from the pics. 2 door is good for show, but the 4 door has the all important goodies
Old 13 November 2016, 09:54 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Those prices are mental!

SPEC C's might be good....... they're not that good, especially those boss eyed versions! lol
Old 13 November 2016, 09:54 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Which are not a patch on the "proper" SPEC C's.
Old 13 November 2016, 11:58 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shaun
Which are not a patch on the "proper" SPEC C's.
Which are?
And your experience of all types of spec C`s ? Went to Lichfield`s and drove a GRB once ?
Come on, add some back up to your statements and educate us all, or slink off back to your German box
Old 14 November 2016, 08:05 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Those prices are mental!

SPEC C's might be good....... they're not that good, especially those boss eyed versions! lol
I'm sure you're right, never driven one but can't imagine that any of them are that much 'Better' to drive than a 'Sorted' Newage of any description.

For me the Special Editions are more about the Kudos of ownership as ALL the Goodies they come with can be bought and added and even improved upon much like Litchfield did, at the end of the day if you want Fast and exciting / involving to drive we all know powerful sorted Classics are where it's at.

So ultimately it comes back to the original points in the OP, weekend fun and investment return potential, IMO the one car that has the best chance of giving the highest return as well as being fun to drive, as said by many, "The Newage that has the Classic Feel" is the S202 coupled with the fact that there were only 400 made which means that there are probably less than 300 still alive and even less unmolested original ones left in the whole world, then it's IMO the best Subaru to put your money into if you're after a return without getting 'Silly Money' out, even if you don't like the look of them.

Even I have to admit the Yellow S202 looks great, so much so if I bought one in a different colour I'd probably go to the expense of changing it to yellow, closely followed by the JDM Prodrive Bug. Also since they only made the Bug for a year or so it's probably the rarest shape beyond the 22B.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 14 November 2016 at 08:14 AM.
Old 14 November 2016, 09:56 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

To be honest, I actually like some bugs more that blobs. I'd take a "Prodrive Style" Bug (The JDM one) over a blob.

It's a tough one. On the one hand, there's a really nice white hawk for sale on here which would suit me well. On the other, I'm thinking I want a classic but it has to be all original. Correct wheels, interior mint, not modified to death.

Prices have jumped and it's whether they will continue. I suspect they will. Sterling is unlikely to recover for a good while. It's much easier to get these cars into the states now and very good ones are getting harder and harder to find.

I passed up a £6,000 very nice condition Intergrale EVO1 in 2006. Bought another Impreza - DOH!
Old 14 November 2016, 10:21 AM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

Always the option of a bug Spec c ra
Old 14 November 2016, 10:36 AM
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Out of interest what are spec c type ra-r hawks in yellow fetching, I no there was that one on piston heads for around £21k, would absolutely love one of these dose anyone no how many are in the uk ?
Old 14 November 2016, 10:37 AM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by crazyspeedfreakz
Out of interest what are spec c type ra-r hawks in yellow fetching, I no there was that one on piston heads for around £21k, would absolutely love one of these dose anyone no how many are in the uk ?
at least 2.
Old 14 November 2016, 08:41 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Which are?
And your experience of all types of spec C`s ? Went to Lichfield`s and drove a GRB once ?
Come on, add some back up to your statements and educate us all, or slink off back to your German box

Drive a hatch SPEC C and you'll immediately find out the difference.

The Hawkeye SPEC C was the last raw and more direct feeling chassis. Which is what the SPEC C "should" be about imo.

The Blobeye SPEC C (as in the lighter weight model I had) was the best imo.

The Bugeye... I never liked the styling.

All subjective and all imo.
Old 14 November 2016, 11:00 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Drive a hatch SPEC C and you'll immediately find out the difference.

The Hawkeye SPEC C was the last raw and more direct feeling chassis. Which is what the SPEC C "should" be about imo.

The Blobeye SPEC C (as in the lighter weight model I had) was the best imo.

The Bugeye... I never liked the styling.

All subjective and all imo.
I drive one most days . I`m sure that earlier spec C`s were more hardcore, but the hatch is a great place to be in for every day driving and long journeys. I`ve no experience of newage spec C`s,but there are a number of people on here who have had models like S204`s or 400+hp classics and now own jdm hatches, and say that they compare favourably ( S204Darren, MarkFey, for example) I believe they have competed quite successfully in group N.
I was just informing the OP that spec C`s didn`t stop with newages