Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related
View Poll Results: How will you vote in the EU referendum?
Leave the EU
67.45%
Remain in the EU
22.75%
Don't know yet
5.49%
Won't be voting
4.31%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

EU Referendum

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2016, 04:06 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by andy97
Here is a recent one
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-official.html

Jean Monnet(founder of the European project) was credited as to saying this

“Europe’s nations should be guided towards the superstate without their people understanding what is happening. This can be accomplished by successive steps, each disguised as having an economic purpose, but which will eventually and irreversibly lead to federation.”

?
ok

firstly the exact quote with context is

"We need a true political union. To me this means that we need to build a United States of Europe with the Commission as government and two chambers – the European Parliament and a "Senate" of Member States. But there are of course other opinions out there for the future of Europe. You might have other ideas as well. And that is how it should be. We need to have a broad debate before we start to make the big changes required."

so just one women's view, fine I am sure there are a range of views in the EU

I also think we have an guaranteed opt out from further political union
Old 21 June 2016, 04:08 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SwissTony
you mean the ones that came on and provided instant light instead of the " oh lets warm up gradually like a ****ing 50's Grundig TV set whilst you stumble around the room in a dim light tripping over **** and standing on lego" style ?
you need to use the new LED's they are brilliant

and really bright

the right to use old **** technology is seen as big advantage of voting out

just think, we could all drive those fantastic (low regulation) American cars

instead of the crap the over regulated EU car industry produce

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 21 June 2016 at 04:30 PM.
Old 21 June 2016, 04:08 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just received a call from the LibDem; asking which side I'm on- on this EU referendum thingy. It sounded like a genuine campaign call as I could hear the rest of the call centre echoing the same question to whoever they were moidering.

Have other SN members received such calls?
Old 21 June 2016, 04:10 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
you need to use the new LED's they are brilliant

and really bright
Tell him that even your reading glasses that Mrs. Hodgy bought for you from Aldi have LEDs.

LEDs are good for you.
Old 21 June 2016, 04:15 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Iv just bought 20 100w proper ones for 13 quid

never mind youre "deal for two" led selection at 4 pound!

Warehouse is running down he said , so price will inevitably rise a bit

still they last twice as long and you can actually see what youre doing , straight away

Last edited by dpb; 21 June 2016 at 04:16 PM.
Old 21 June 2016, 04:23 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbohot
Just received a call from the LibDem; asking which side I'm on- on this EU referendum thingy. It sounded like a genuine campaign call as I could hear the rest of the call centre echoing the same question to whoever they were moidering.

Have other SN members received such calls?
no, only you as you are special

Plus the rest of us didnt publish our contact details on here
Old 21 June 2016, 04:23 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Iv just bought 20 100w proper ones for 13 quid

Warehouse is running down he said , so price will inevitably rise a bit

still they last twice as long and you can actually see what youre doing , straight away
To tell you the truth, I too prefer the proper ones. But I won't let my own metaphorical lightbulb dim and foolishly join the outers that can see only so far, in dark of the ignorance.
Old 21 June 2016, 04:26 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Wake up for whom?

You must have noticed and read/heard that the EU's ultimate aim is to merge all countries into one?

Do you want that?

I don't, when I go to Europe I want to see different things from each individual countries, not the same.

If the EU is to redeem itself it should take several step back and allow more autonomy from individual countries over what they see fit to control
I could be wrong but I don't think I've ever seen anyone mention cultural cleansing (for the want of a better description).
Old 21 June 2016, 04:28 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Look at what you coulda won
Old 21 June 2016, 04:29 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
Tell him that even your reading glasses that Mrs. Hodgy bought for you from Aldi have LEDs.

LEDs are good for you.
yeah they are brilliant

Old 21 June 2016, 04:31 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SwissTony
no, only you as you are special

Plus the rest of us didnt publish our contact details on here
Unlike some, I hardly publish or publicise anything personal on Internet, so that's nonsense.

Anyway, I bet more of you SN peeps will receive such campaign calls before the polling day.
Old 21 June 2016, 04:41 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Well Warren seems gone awol , maybe it was him in disguise

We know he's fully fledged campaigner ,

Did he comment on your Englesh

Last edited by dpb; 21 June 2016 at 04:42 PM.
Old 21 June 2016, 04:47 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Well Warren seems gone awol , maybe it was him in disguise

We know he's fully fledged campaigner ,
Well, it was actually a well-spoken girl who sounded like a uni student; about my kid's age or a bit younger. She was open to answer any question in favour of IN as opposed to Mr. Warren's OUT. So, no, it wasn't Warren. They were the Lib Dem youth campaigners.
Old 21 June 2016, 05:14 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

it will be fun watching all the leavers explain why things aren't any rosier outside the EU
But that says it all, you'll be on here on Friday after the FTSE takes a hit saying 'there you go you clowns'! But we're voting Leave to get the UK on a stable and sustainable footing for the future.

I hope the vote is Leave, and I hope it benefits everyone in the UK, whether they chose to vote leave or remain, whatever colour or creed they may be.

If we vote to remain is it all going to be rosy? Of course not, anti-EU parties in the UK will continue to build strength just like they are all over Europe, we'll continue to wrangle over things with the idiots in Brussels, UKIP will probably take off seeing as Cameron has killed off the Tories well and truly now, and we'll probably have another referendum in 5 years time.

Last edited by Petem95; 21 June 2016 at 05:28 PM.
Old 21 June 2016, 05:30 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Petem95
But that says it all, you'll be on here on Friday after the FTSE takes a hit saying 'there you go you clowns'! But we're voting Leave to get the UK on a stable and sustainable footing for the future.

well it wont be just the footsie, sterling as well

there will always be winners and losers - whether we stay or remain

my guess is that there will be more losers if we leave, and we will become a diminished country - less influence, less power

funnily enough I have just remembered something as I write this

I am going to Moscow tomorrow, I was reminded of a story an old friend told me a few years ago

she worked in Russia for a bit = and was at a school giving a talk to children, they all asked her where she was from

"Ah she said" as she walked over to a huge map on the wall, and went to point at the UK

except she could not show them because the map stopped at France!!!

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 21 June 2016 at 05:32 PM.
Old 21 June 2016, 05:34 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

How is Nigel going to benefit if we're out , would he even quality for dole?
Old 21 June 2016, 05:42 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
How is Nigel going to benefit if we're out , would he even quality for dole?
He'll benefit from all the eurosceptic voters voting for an anti-EU party, and from the fact a **** load of Tories (myself included) will never vote for a party with Cameron and Osbourne in again.

All over the EU anti-EU parties are on the rise, look at Italy, just elected 2 mayors (Rome and Turin) part of the Five Star Movement. Austria almost had the Freedom Party in power, Le Pen in with a real chance in France.

If we stay in the EU all the eurosceptics won't just accept it, they'll want out, and want out more and more as things get worse in Europe. What's the biggest eurosceptic party in the UK? UKIP will gain massively from an In vote.

If we vote out I expect we'll return to a more traditional political landscape, however Labour, and probably especially Lib Dems will gain with the Tories out of favour. UKIP will become irrelevant.

Last edited by Petem95; 21 June 2016 at 05:45 PM.
Old 21 June 2016, 05:49 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Hang on ,the same Labour and lib dems who were routed in the last election ?
Old 21 June 2016, 05:51 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

If we vote to leave then Ukip will have done its job. Less interest, they may have small number of MPs

Last edited by andy97; 21 June 2016 at 05:52 PM.
Old 21 June 2016, 06:45 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

What is not to like about LED technology apart from the price
Unreliability from a expensive bulb, poor colour rendering, poor uniformity of light dispersion.

I have about 32 Jcc LED fittings in the kitchen/extension. Not cheap and have a 10yr warranty....just as well as I've had over ten fail so far in less than 2yrs and they are still failing....they also glare more than a GU10 (just as well as I had adjustable fittings as they'd be intolerable otherwise).

In comparison I've had Halogen Gu10s last over 2years when used with a soft-start dimmer.

It would be nice if the EU put trade sanctions on China for importing this shoddy made crap. Or at least human right sanctions on the factories based on working hours/conditions and pay....like we have to comply with over here.

Philips have superior LED technology but cannot compete due to the market being flooded with cheap crap. Or worse; cheap crap sold at a high mark up by the EU distributor (which I suspect is what has happened in my case).

Some regulation on glare from lamps and light fittings would be nice too seeing that we are now being littered with Chinese sourced LED flood lights that throw as much light into the sky as they do onto the ground.

The future is not always brighter

Last edited by ALi-B; 21 June 2016 at 06:49 PM.
Old 21 June 2016, 06:54 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

He'll benefit from all the eurosceptic voters voting for an anti-EU party, and from the fact a **** load of Tories (myself included) will never vote for a party with Cameron and Osbourne in again.

All over the EU anti-EU parties are on the rise, look at Italy, just elected 2 mayors (Rome and Turin) part of the Five Star Movement. Austria almost had the Freedom Party in power, Le Pen in with a real chance in France.

If we stay in the EU all the eurosceptics won't just accept it, they'll want out, and want out more and more as things get worse in Europe. What's the biggest eurosceptic party in the UK? UKIP will gain massively from an In vote.

If we vote out I expect we'll return to a more traditional political landscape, however Labour, and probably especially Lib Dems will gain with the Tories out of favour. UKIP will become irrelevant.

What do you mean by Euro-sceptic? I'm euro-sceptic, I would of thought the vast majority of the public are too. Being euro-sceptic doesn't mean you want to leave.

As for never voting for the Tories if Cameron is still in the party. I really can't fathom that; I'd of thought you'd want to build a statue of him in your front garden as he would of facilitated exactly what you crave. Crickey, some people are never satisfied

Would you rather have Boris, even though he's treated all you outers as useful idiots in his own power play?

Last edited by Martin2005; 21 June 2016 at 06:58 PM.
Old 21 June 2016, 07:07 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
What do you mean by Euro-sceptic? I'm euro-sceptic, I would of thought the vast majority of the public are too. Being euro-sceptic doesn't mean you want to leave.

As for never voting for the Tories if Cameron is still in the party. I really can't fathom that; I'd of thought you'd want to build a statue of him in your front garden as he would of facilitated exactly what you crave. Crickey, some people are never satisfied

Would you rather have Boris, even though he's treated all you outers as useful idiots in his own power play?
Ok maybe you missed the point (I should have written a simplified verson for 'remain' voters to understand ) , but surely you can see from the polls though that it's pretty much 50/50 for people who want to leave/remain in the EU (I don't read either The Star or The Guardian but I'm sure you've seen articles in both, although exhibiting significant 'remain' bias). The point is, people who voted to leave the EU aren't going to turn pro-EU if we remain. Based on the trend all over Europe, more people will want out as time goes on.

This is going to present a significant opportunity to any UK political parties who take an anti-EU stance (UKIP being the obvious). Couple this with massive disapproval of the Tories - I've always voted Tory, but will likely not do so again in future (so lots of ex-Tory votes 'up for grabs' so to speak). The most important thing to me will be getting out the EU, so I'll vote for the party that presents the best chance of that happening.

So even if we vote to remain in the EU, anti-EU feelings will likely keep rising and anti-EU parties like UKIP will gain massively. Or do you disagree? Maybe you're hoping democratic elections in EU countries will be banned before the next UK general election or something? :s

Last edited by Petem95; 21 June 2016 at 07:09 PM.
Old 21 June 2016, 07:25 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Ok maybe you missed the point (I should have written a simplified verson for 'remain' voters to understand ) , but surely you can see from the polls though that it's pretty much 50/50 for people who want to leave/remain in the EU (I don't read either The Star or The Guardian but I'm sure you've seen articles in both, although exhibiting significant 'remain' bias). The point is, people who voted to leave the EU aren't going to turn pro-EU if we remain. Based on the trend all over Europe, more people will want out as time goes on.

This is going to present a significant opportunity to any UK political parties who take an anti-EU stance (UKIP being the obvious). Couple this with massive disapproval of the Tories - I've always voted Tory, but will likely not do so again in future (so lots of ex-Tory votes 'up for grabs' so to speak). The most important thing to me will be getting out the EU, so I'll vote for the party that presents the best chance of that happening.

So even if we vote to remain in the EU, anti-EU feelings will likely keep rising and anti-EU parties like UKIP will gain massively. Or do you disagree? Maybe you're hoping democratic elections in EU countries will be banned before the next UK general election or something? :s

I agree with your hypothesis, that anti-EU sentiment is on the rise across Europe, which is precisely why I believe it has to, and will change, to better reflect the will of the peoples of Europe. If it doesn't then the whole thing will be doomed.
Old 21 June 2016, 07:40 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
I agree with your hypothesis, that anti-EU sentiment is on the rise across Europe, which is precisely why I believe it has to, and will change, to better reflect the will of the peoples of Europe.
Melchett: 'If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.'

If it doesn't then the whole thing will be doomed.
It already is. That's why we're getting out.
Old 21 June 2016, 07:50 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Te anti eu parties are not that large relatively , don't you agree Petem
Old 21 June 2016, 08:10 PM
Uncle Creepy
Scooby Regular

I think he is an utter cvnt, the very epitome of "white trash" that has a semblelance of education and somehow thinks he is some kind of Einstein

As I said politically incorrect

But deep down these ****ing loonatics, love "politically incorrectness" and truth be told appreciate the honesty
Very classy.

You speak of white trash and then use such disgusting, vulgar language!? The irony is strong with this one! Such a wonderful role model to your 83 children.
Old 21 June 2016, 08:13 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Te anti eu parties are not that large relatively , don't you agree Petem
No I don't, they're on the fringes of getting into power in many EU countries - and this is before we've hit an over-due financial downturn, which will further fuel fringe far-right and far-left parties.

In Austria the Far Right Freedom Party missed out on getting elected by 49.7% to 50.3% (after a very dubious postal vote count..), Italy Five Star Movement now the second biggest party in Italy after only being created in 2010, just won mayor elections in Rome and Turin, in the Netherlands Geert Wilders far right Freedom Party is surging in the polls and actually has a real chance of winning the next general election there amazingly, same with Le Pen in France. Not far behind you've got the Afd gaining more and more support in Germany (second largest party in many regions now), far left anti-EU parties in Greece and Spain, far right Danish Peoples Party continues to grow in Denmark.

If we vote to remain we'll likely be joining the surge of anti-EU parties with UKIP winning more MP's, and maybe we'll have Farage in with a shot at becoming PM in 2020 on the promise of getting us out of Europe.

I believe the UK will return to a more traditional political landscape if we vote out - UKIP will pretty much cease to exist, Tories will take a big hit and Labour and Lib Dems will gain - probably be looking at a Tory/LD or Labour/LD coalition government in 2020 I would think.
Old 21 June 2016, 08:37 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Do you seriously believe that if the EU evaporated overnight , borders were shut / invaders eliminated , that within a reasonable amount time we would all be better off ( ie discontent has nothing to do with regional government )
Old 21 June 2016, 09:17 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

'EU evaporated', 'invaders eliminated'?.. Are you trying to engage in the debate, or reviewing Independence Day 2?
Old 21 June 2016, 09:33 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

'EU evaporated', 'invaders eliminated'?.. Are you trying to engage in the debate, or reviewing Independence Day 2?
So if you could click your fingers and magically change history so that the EU had never existed, you wouldn't do that?

Quick Reply: EU Referendum