Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related
View Poll Results: How will you vote in the EU referendum?
Leave the EU
67.45%
Remain in the EU
22.75%
Don't know yet
5.49%
Won't be voting
4.31%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

EU Referendum

Search this Thread

Old 22 June 2016, 03:01 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

I also find it amusing how the remain campaign state as if it were fact that being outside of the EU means certain economic death. Let me see now how are Switzerland, Norway and Iceland doing? Hmm they really look to be suffering don't they?

Last edited by An0n0m0us; 22 June 2016 at 03:09 PM.
Old 22 June 2016, 03:02 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by An0n0m0us
If the cap fits in your view would be anyone who votes leave.
No, sir. I certainly wouldn't charge the late, great Tony Benn with having a 'little Englander' mentality, nor would I describe him as myopic, but his position would barely be understood by the majority of the electorate. It may not be popular to say, but I'm afraid the average man and woman in the street is being hoodwinked in to an out vote by dark souls who desire power and whose philosophies and motivations are shady. You've yet to lay out your case (you've merely criticised, with outcome bias, the tone of the debate), so if the cap fits...
Old 22 June 2016, 03:03 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

**** I am convinced, I am changing sides *****

Name:  remain%20in%20eu_zpsxz1lzpmg.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  176.0 KB

Old 22 June 2016, 03:09 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor
No, sir. I certainly wouldn't charge the late, great Tony Benn with having a 'little Englander' mentality, nor would I describe him as myopic, but his position would barely be understood by the majority of the electorate. It may not be popular to say, but I'm afraid the average man and woman in the street is being hoodwinked in to an out vote by dark souls who desire power and whose philosophies and motivations are shady. You've yet to lay out your case (you've merely criticised, with outcome bias, the tone of the debate), so if the cap fits...
And i've also explained why I shan't bother to lay out my reasons because anything other than what the remain camp agree with is mocked and insulted. Reasoned debate is beyond the mentality of the majority of the remain camp certainly on Scoobynet as clearly demonstrated in this thread.
Old 22 June 2016, 03:11 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

And i've also explained why I shan't bother to lay out my reasons because anything other than what the remain camp agree with is mocked and insulted. Reasoned debate is beyond the mentality of the majority of the remain camp certainly on Scoobynet as clearly demonstrated in this thread.
Well it's a shame you feel like that and I apologise for any part I've played in it.
Old 22 June 2016, 03:13 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy97
On the 30th of June the EU is supposedly to announce the talks for Turkey to enter the EU. Now if remain wins, you can then ask Mr. Cameron why he refused to say he would use the veto?

https://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/31896584/eu-turkey-to-open-new-membership-talks-sources/#page1

Plus nearly half of Cameron business advisers did sign not up to remain advice

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/22/almost-half-of-david-camerons-business-advisory-group-fails-to-s/
What was the PM supposed to do when confronted by the question about vetoing Turkish membership. Is he supposed to abandon reason for a soundbite?
Turkey an extrordinarily important country right now and a NATO ally.
Would you want our PM damaging that key relationship on an issue he's never going to have preside over?
Old 22 June 2016, 03:14 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

As I said nearly a fortnight ago, I think most people have now made up their minds and this is simply bickering now back and forth. The arguments on both sides have been aired and discussed, decisions made. It seems pretty fruitless now, just arguing on the internet. Friday morning is the moment, bring it on.... and vote for freedom, VOTE LEAVE
Old 22 June 2016, 03:14 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
What was the PM supposed to do when confronted by the question about vetoing Turkish membership. Is he supposed to abandon reason for a soundbite?
Turkey an extrordinarily important country right now and a NATO ally.
Would you want our PM damaging that key relationship on an issue he's never going to have preside over?
Quite.
Old 22 June 2016, 03:21 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by warrenm2
As I said nearly a fortnight ago, I think most people have now made up their minds and this is simply bickering now back and forth. The arguments on both sides have been aired and discussed, decisions made. It seems pretty fruitless now, just arguing on the internet. Friday morning is the moment, bring it on.... and vote for freedom, VOTE LEAVE
I think there are plenty on the fence or for the turning and most of the thinking electorate won't buy the idea that an isolated UK is a 'free' UK. People need to walk in to the polling booths with their eyes wide open; do they want to vote for stability, security and an equitable future or do they want to take an ill-considered leap in to the dark? Don't gamble with the future of succeeding generations - vote remain.
Old 22 June 2016, 03:24 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Sorry and one final news story (not the Calais riots of course!)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36596060
Old 22 June 2016, 03:27 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Sorry and one final news story (not the Calais riots of course!)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36596060
This is the opinion of a small minority. It's not to be taken seriously.
Old 22 June 2016, 03:36 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

http://www.economist.com/news/leader...ivided-we-fall
Old 22 June 2016, 03:51 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Well the day is finally here and so like the image goes I am out , both in the vote and this thread.
Enjoy your vote tomorrow, make it count and I shall revisit this thread maybe Friday
Old 22 June 2016, 04:01 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor
... do they want to vote for stability, security and an equitable future..
Could quite easily be replaced with - vote for much of the same as we've had since joining the EU such as ridiculous laws enforced upon us by Brussels, an open door to the rest of Europe allowing for the abuse of the UK benefit system through benefit tourism, a huge strain on our public services due to the open door policy and vast amounts of money paid to the EU that could be better spent on public services within the UK.
Old 22 June 2016, 04:07 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Does anyone know if it is his power for boris to give amnesty on illegals any time soon , if he wins ?

Cos may be good move

Last edited by dpb; 22 June 2016 at 04:41 PM.
Old 22 June 2016, 04:18 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Could quite easily be replaced with - vote for much of the same as we've had since joining the EU such as ridiculous laws enforced upon us by Brussels, an open door to the rest of Europe allowing for the abuse of the UK benefit system through benefit tourism, a huge strain on our public services due to the open door policy and vast amounts of money paid to the EU that could be better spent on public services within the UK.

Laws that we had a hand in designing.

Benefit tourism is a tiny problem. Benefits aren't a huge problem compared to other stuff going on. Immigrants add more to the economy than they take out.

Lots of immigrants work in our public services. The NHS, for example, would be buggered without immigrant labour.

The amount paid to the EU sounds like a big number, but it's about 1% of GDP, probably less. Not exactly an economy breaker, is it? If the economy shrinks by 1% (which is not unreasonable) then your saving is gone.

Still, we'll have Boris in charge, what could possibly go wrong?
Old 22 June 2016, 04:18 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

:rolleye s:

Well yet another stunning and intellectually incisive post. Wow!!

Perhaps mummy could teach you how to do words as well as pretty pictures.

Looks like Boris better look out

dl
Old 22 June 2016, 04:20 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SwissTony
**** I am convinced, I am changing sides *****

The irony being this could just as easily be the other way round.
Old 22 June 2016, 05:18 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by neil-h
The irony being this could just as easily be the other way round.
Yes, terribly ironic poster. With the amount of autonomy and reward the REMAIN description is offering, it looks like a self-fulfilling prophecy for the OUT, and the LEAVE description seems to be the outers' perception of the IN.
Old 22 June 2016, 05:28 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

http://newsthump.com/2016/06/20/majo...ing-off-cliff/

Old 22 June 2016, 05:39 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Good find

This is also very interesting:

In other news, a recently conducted poll has revealed that Turkeys intend to vote for Christmas.

Old 22 June 2016, 05:42 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geezer
Laws that we had a hand in designing.

Benefit tourism is a tiny problem. Benefits aren't a huge problem compared to other stuff going on. Immigrants add more to the economy than they take out.

Lots of immigrants work in our public services. The NHS, for example, would be buggered without immigrant labour.

The amount paid to the EU sounds like a big number, but it's about 1% of GDP, probably less. Not exactly an economy breaker, is it? If the economy shrinks by 1% (which is not unreasonable) then your saving is gone.

Still, we'll have Boris in charge, what could possibly go wrong?
This is the constant misconception by the remain campaign over immigration that those voting leave want a complete blockade of immigration. No we don't! I have no issue with immigration when it's a skilled workforce that comes to work here. I want them to come here as much as anyone else and I don't care where they come from. What I don't want is as it is now which is a free for all where benefit tourism is clearly happening and open to abuse. Not only benefits being abused but public services too such as the NHS.

That is why I want out of the EU and a control put on immigration such as the Australian points system which seems to work brilliantly for them so why is it so wrong for us? Those who are coming to work and and have needed skills get in. Australia is just one example. Try getting residency in North America without meeting a required skills list and other criteria. Those who want to come to freeload do not get in. That is what I want to see and no one will ever change my mind on that opinion.

As for the laws we had a hand in designing can you give me proof that was the case say for example Brussels making us have only certain types of light bulbs or even more of a waste of time/money only certain shaped bananas? In fact two others, the banning of hoovers with powerful motors and the ban on selling eggs by the dozen and making them be sold on weight. It's this pathetic load of bollox I want to see the back of.

And try telling those on the NHS wanting treatment that is deemed too expensive or a lack of machines that the amount paid to the EU wouldn't help instead the NHS fund their treatment/buy more machines.

Last edited by An0n0m0us; 22 June 2016 at 05:59 PM.
Old 22 June 2016, 06:18 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Slightly left field solution, why not unify the benefit systems of all EU member states. You'd stop benefit tourism overnight if we paid the same state benefits as everyone else. Then you'd only get the migrants coming over for work.
Old 22 June 2016, 06:29 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markjmd
Technically in fact he's paid by Liverpool Law School, although they may well receive funding from the EU that will offset some of his salary.
More detailed analysis

http://www.eureferendum.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=86112
Old 22 June 2016, 06:39 PM
Uncle Creepy
Scooby Regular

And this highlights my point in this thread perfectly. Anyone who has a different opinion to you or as it seems the majority of the remain campaign is subjected to having insults thrown at them. For what? Just because they dare have a different opinion to yourselves.
You are an astute man, Mr Anonymous. This is exactly what they do, and not just on this thread. It puts me off posting most of the time, so I'm sure it does others, too. They antagonise and provoke, and continuously repeat their views to reinforce them, but then when somebody retaliates or offers an alternative perspective, they tell them to grow up, stop playing the victim, or throw more insults. This is why I don't like them. And they don't like me because I call them out on their behaviour and show them up for what they are.

For the record, I don't hold anything personal against any remain voter. In fact, I like quite a few of the ones shown on the poll, and didn't mean to insult them by my earlier posts. I wrote the things I did to elicit the responses that I knew would inevitably follow... to expose the hypocrisy of a certain few. They can call leave voters thick and it's perfectly acceptable, but when I suggest the same for remain voters... well, we've all seen the vulgar language and name-calling that ensued.

I won't be posting anymore on this thread, at least not until after the result. I'm bored of arguing on the internet with arrogant bigots.
Old 22 June 2016, 07:04 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

just nipped round our local shop for a bottle of jd ready for the celebrations
Old 22 June 2016, 07:37 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

true patriot would be sipping a scotch

youll not mind paying a bit extra for your fav tipple if we leave

Last edited by dpb; 22 June 2016 at 07:43 PM.
Old 22 June 2016, 07:38 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

What's to analyze? Noone's disputing that the institution he works for receives EU funding that will offset a portion of his salary. What would be more meaningful in terms of providing a balance of views would be to hear or read commentary from someone who's spent as long studying the law generally and the EU specifically as Dougan has, but come to the opposite conclusion with regards to the key questions of sovereignty, democratic deficit (or lack thereof), and so on. If no such person exists, it wouldn't be unreasonable to think that Dougan's analysis is in fact correct.
Old 22 June 2016, 07:42 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

This is the constant misconception by the remain campaign over immigration that those voting leave want a complete blockade of immigration. No we don't! I have no issue with immigration when it's a skilled workforce that comes to work here. I want them to come here as much as anyone else and I don't care where they come from. What I don't want is as it is now which is a free for all where benefit tourism is clearly happening and open to abuse. Not only benefits being abused but public services too such as the NHS.
It's a tiny minority. Does it excuse it? No. Does it make much difference? No?

That is why I want out of the EU and a control put on immigration such as the Australian points system which seems to work brilliantly for them so why is it so wrong for us? Those who are coming to work and and have needed skills get in. Australia is just one example. Try getting residency in North America without meeting a required skills list and other criteria. Those who want to come to freeload do not get in. That is what I want to see and no one will ever change my mind on that opinion.
The majority don't want to freeload.

As for the laws we had a hand in designing can you give me proof that was the case say for example Brussels making us have only certain types of light bulbs or even more of a waste of time/money only certain shaped bananas? In fact two others, the banning of hoovers with powerful motors and the ban on selling eggs by the dozen and making them be sold on weight. It's this pathetic load of bollox I want to see the back of.
I can't believe you have brought up the bananas! Do you believe everything you are fed?

As for light bulbs, the old type were horribly energy inefficient, what is wrong with getting rid of them? I neither know nor care whether we had a say or not, it was, and is, a good thing.

And try telling those on the NHS wanting treatment that is deemed too expensive or a lack of machines that the amount paid to the EU wouldn't help instead the NHS fund their treatment/buy more machines.
The NHS has been failing for years and years, nowt to do with immigrants. Successive governments have failed it. The issues are complex and not necessarily just down to money or population. Leaving will definitely not solve it. Hell, Farage and some of the Conservatives want to dismantle it even further, will you manage to blame that on immigrants too?
Old 22 June 2016, 07:51 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
I think the SNP should push for a leave vote. Why?

We keep hearing that if the UK votes to leave, then Scotland will hold another independence referendum. So vote leave, get your referendum and get your independence.
would it save the rest us anything - I still don't think theyd go , not now oil is through the floor

don't even know eu would have em

Last edited by dpb; 22 June 2016 at 07:55 PM.

Quick Reply: EU Referendum