Notices

remote start, any good

Search this Thread

Old 11 July 2012, 04:36 PM
scoobystiv1
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default remote start, any good

hi, im after a new alarm system for my scoobs, its a 94, i ideally wanted a remote start, central locking and an alarm, i was wondering if any one could help with which system would be best, i'm not too sure on alarms because i've heard they can cause starting problems, bran drain etc, can any one help, i can't really afford an expensive one :/
Old 11 July 2012, 04:38 PM
steviefastbikes
Scooby Regular

Does it have to be thatcham cat one or are you not bothered?
Old 11 July 2012, 05:03 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Whats ur budget fella? I got a clifford on mine and i would swear by it lol! Handy really, can start the car whilst gettin sorted which is always a bonus

You can normally add the start feature to most decent alarms these days, think you'll see atleast a £200 bill for a half decent one, just for guidance mine was just shy of £600 but got all the singing and dancing bits with it, its a clifford intelliguard 950 with black jax which is also another brill bit of kit if ur in to tha kind of thing!
Old 11 July 2012, 08:36 PM
lotus49
Scooby Regular

I'm curious to know what the point of remote start is. I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want to start their car when they're not in it. I'm sure there are reasons or such things wouldn't exist.

Can anyone enlighten me?
Old 11 July 2012, 09:02 PM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lotus49
I'm curious to know what the point of remote start is. I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want to start their car when they're not in it. I'm sure there are reasons or such things wouldn't exist.

Can anyone enlighten me?
I never understand the point of it, however some people like the idea of remote starting it so the turbo can warm up, or for winter times to defrost or keep warm, whilst they are still indoors
Old 11 July 2012, 10:21 PM
lotus49
Scooby Regular

It must have been invented by a Southerner .

I just drive slowly for the first few miles and put up with being a bit cold, but then I'm a Yorkshireman.
Old 11 July 2012, 11:11 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Its handy for things like when battery voltage is reading low if car has been left for a while, it automatically starts it and lets it charge whilst still fully armed, freezing mornings you can start it and let it defrost whilst having a brew lol, at half 5 in the morn the neighbours gonna love it, and another great reason is for keeping animals such as cats for instance, little ****** thought it be nice to sit on my bonnet in the sun, never seen anything move so fast when it started lmao fair to say it aint been on there since
Old 12 July 2012, 05:14 PM
scoobystiv1
Scooby Newbie

i don't mind which alarm it is, i've seen a few hawk eye ones, are they any good, i've seen on ebay these ones, they all look the same but have different prices, i was looking at these ones, any one had any experience with these ones?? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-ALARM-...item53edcd5542
Old 12 July 2012, 05:40 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Cant comment sorry fella never heard of them, always used toad or clifford, you can find a decent toad ai606 these days for deceny money with the start feature, they are a pretty decent system too
Old 13 July 2012, 12:48 AM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Used to use mine in winter to defrost the car
Old 13 July 2012, 10:28 AM
sean typer
Scooby Regular

Had that hawk alarm in mine and it was fine.Remote start was ok in that you had to be fairly close to the car for it to work(in kitchen within sight of the car)Easy to fit over a weekend yourself if you can follow a diagram.
Old 15 August 2012, 06:08 PM
zulu_scoobs
Scooby Newbie

Hi

This just reminded me my uncle has remote start on his vr6 storm, he left it in gear and managed to pin himself up the wall of his house. If that's not bad enough he done it again but this time it jumped into the back of a skip wagon to this day the car has a black bumper and bonnet not yet been resprayed. Just thought I would share that story :P
p.s sorry for the thread bump!
Steve
Old 16 August 2012, 12:15 AM
MR_TOAD_INSTALLER
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remote starts are fine but if you have a Cat one alarm you have to overide the immobilisors therefore invalidating the alarm ( Insurance get me out of here )syndrome
It is not Thatcham approved unless passed by them the only one i know is Clifford but dig deep in your pockets

I have a car that is Airconditioned and if you set the dials to hot or cold after 1 or 2 hours it goes to default position that is climate control

Nice gismo but if you press the button and it is in gear like posted could pin a child or public against the next car Insurance claim yes are you covered for that with your insurance ( NO ) then expect a claim agiainst tou that you cannot wriggle out of

Regards Ian
Old 19 August 2012, 08:40 AM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by zulu_scoobs
Hi

This just reminded me my uncle has remote start on his vr6 storm, he left it in gear and managed to pin himself up the wall of his house. If that's not bad enough he done it again but this time it jumped into the back of a skip wagon to this day the car has a black bumper and bonnet not yet been resprayed. Just thought I would share that story :P
p.s sorry for the thread bump!
Steve
He's not alone.... Imagine my delight as I remote started my Prado when it was -32 C and it happily trundled across the car park and had an accident with a Lexus rx400. I really met my neighbours that day........ My driving licence was asked for, I wasn't driving I said

My Russian improved no end. I couldn't believe there was no interlock. Now got a Pajero automatic so no problems with the remote start. When it's cold start it up and when I get there 20 minutes later it's warmed up, the heated seats are on and my chariot is ready

In the UK I have a garage, does almost the same thing
Old 19 August 2012, 10:58 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is it not illegal to leave a running car unattended?
Old 19 August 2012, 11:29 PM
lotus49
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brun
Is it not illegal to leave a running car unattended?
Not on private property but it still doesn't strike me as a great idea.
Old 20 August 2012, 11:15 AM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by lotus49
Not on private property but it still doesn't strike me as a great idea.
Certainly not on a manual gearbox car. You can imagine you see a subaru pass your window.

Oh that's like mine you think....... Then you think, crickey it is mine.....

Then find your 8 year old playing with your key fob

Cue back to window as your car merrily trundles across your lawn and onto the hill down your street.......

How do I stop it you think...... I really should have read the manual. Mine was 36 pages in Russian, so not much help as I pressed every goddam button known to man......
Old 28 August 2012, 06:25 PM
CHRI5
Scooby Newbie

I've always thought it would be handy to have, especially on cold mornings. If you leave car in gear, or with hand brake off, or keys within reach of a child then its your own fault what happens after that!!
Old 28 August 2012, 08:51 PM
toby69
Scooby Regular

I had intellistart on my first Scooby. it was an all sing all dancing Clifford alarm system and it was great, used it quite a lot in the winter weather and it was good for making people S**T their shelves when walking past the car and you started it up, Childish I know but good fun lol.
As for it starting in gear it was impossible with the Clifford system if you don't shut the car down properly it wouldn't arm the intellistart