Notices

Turbo Timer/ Alarm Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2010, 04:29 PM
_KENDO_
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Timer/ Alarm Issue

Was told to post this in here as there's a lot more savvy with wires and electronics. Ive seen a lot of cars without turbo timers, its something id be looking to do and get installed if i was to buy a car without one. Is it an expensive job to get one fitted? Can you fit them with cars that have only the original cat1 alarm? I have seen a lot of Impreza boys with these Clicky! any Good?

Ive heard stories that your car wont lock and arm if the engines running? Someone can still get in your car even though you've locked and armed it whilst turbo timer is still running? It plays havoc with ECU's? You can lock your car but your alarm doesn't arm? Anybody good to clear me up on this and tell me whats myths and what right? Just trying to find out whats the best thing to do and if fitting ones worth it or will I need alarm to be fitted at same time?

Cheers
Old 13 March 2010, 09:58 PM
irishscoobysti
Scooby Regular

bttt
Old 14 March 2010, 12:46 AM
firebug
Scooby Regular

i had an apexi t.timer fittted about 2 month ago on my 98uk turbo. i cant arm the alarm but can lock the doors with the key while its counting down. ive also had the engine warning light come on once but turned car off then on again and it was gone. it cost me £125 for turbo timer and boost gauge fitted.

Last edited by firebug; 14 March 2010 at 12:57 AM.
Old 15 March 2010, 04:32 AM
_KENDO_
Scooby Regular

Found out some interesting info about Turbo timers and alarm set ups. majority of descent alarms (clifford, Toad, etc) actually auto-arm themselves after 30 seconds.

Even the standard factory sigma alarms auto arm themselves after 30 seconds too. So while your turbo timer runs down you can use your fob to lock the car, but obviously as the engines running it wont arm the the alarm on the car, but as soon as the timer cuts the engine off the car will auto arm itself after 30 seconds anyway.

Apparently the only downside is that because the car had to auto-alarm itself you have to press the open button on the fob twice to open the car. Which is something I can live with certainly.

So I think I am going to get one installed, i hear what everyone is saying about if you just take it easy for last mile to allow everything to wind down is just as good, but i would really kick myself if I cooked a turbo by being in a rush to get somewhere.
Old 15 March 2010, 08:39 AM
lee1184
Scooby Regular

IIRC there is a wire that goes into the ECU that a cable from the Turbo Timer splices into which then allows you to arm the alarm and let the timer do what it needs to do..

I may be wrong but i do remember seeing this somehwere??