Notices

recommend me an alarm

Search this Thread

Old 17 September 2009, 09:43 PM
super_ted
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default recommend me an alarm

Hi all, i have a 96 classic, i already have a tracker fitted but would like a cat 1 alarm & immoblizer fitted for extra peace of mind. I don't wont window closure and fancy things like that, but it would be good if it worked the central locking on the fob to stop the risk of scratching the door in the dark with the key!
So anyone have some ideas? used to have a clifford in my old car but not too impressed overall.

Also does anyone know of a mobile fitter within the oxfordshire area that would be willing to come to mine & fit it?

Cheers in advance guys.
Old 18 September 2009, 10:39 AM
P1_Bagz
Scooby Regular

to be honest mate, ive had a toad, sigma, clifford, scorpion, viper, and a couple of the cheaper make alarms on different cars over the years and it all comes down to the fitter to be honest. alarm wise they all did the same function and met the same standards as they were all cat 1, but the difference in the effectiveness of the alarm was down to the fitter. you could have the most expensive alarm fitted, but if the fitter was rubbish then the alarm will be pretty much useless as he will have left it open and easy to get around. go for a fitter who has been used by a decent number of people who have seen his work and the qaulity of the fitting.
Old 18 September 2009, 06:38 PM
MR_TOAD_INSTALLER
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bagz
to be honest mate, ive had a toad, sigma, clifford, scorpion, viper, and a couple of the cheaper make alarms on different cars over the years and it all comes down to the fitter to be honest. alarm wise they all did the same function and met the same standards as they were all cat 1, but the difference in the effectiveness of the alarm was down to the fitter. you could have the most expensive alarm fitted, but if the fitter was rubbish then the alarm will be pretty much useless as he will have left it open and easy to get around. go for a fitter who has been used by a decent number of people who have seen his work and the qaulity of the fitting.
Gees mate so nice to see people post replys like this

Yes it comes down to the fitter make sure he is well recommended by either people on this site or via friends

Dont forget there not Cheap but they protect your most treasured car
you only have one chance

Ian
Old 18 September 2009, 06:47 PM
super_ted
Scooby Regular

Well maybe thats what the problem was then. They turned up at 8am (two of them!) & didn't finish until 10Pm!!!!
They didn't look like they knew what they up to. But its too late when they have your car dash all out in pieces.
I'll take a look around for a decent fitter near me then. cheers for your help.
Old 18 September 2009, 07:21 PM
Mikej857
Scooby Regular

Ive had the same experience with a clifford alarm that I had fitted, it cost me £800 with the auto start but it was absolute s**t, it would go off whenever it felt like it and when I took it back they simply turned down the shock sensor to nothing which meant the alarm was more or less useless, the autostart one day went off when the keys were in my pocket and the car was in gear and it was only luck that i had parked the car so close to my wifes car that it didnt drive itself down the road.....

I currently have a Cobra on my classic which I reccomend but again I have to agree with the other posts its down to the fitter, I have since the clifford experience only used the same guy for the last 10 odd years because if they are any good at what they do they sell you what you want and not what they will make most profit on.

Id be inclined to ask your insurance what alarm would give you the highest discount if anything as the car already has a tracker they may not offer any discount at all.