Notices

Trackstar - anyone had it fitted?

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2002, 02:12 PM
Bludax
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, had it done at home a couple of months ago.
Yes, they will take part of the car apart, but after they were done there was/is no evidence of their having touched it.All very efficient and professional.
You need a dry day or to be under cover! Takes about 2 hours.

Erik
Old 05 March 2002, 05:01 PM
Goldfinger
Scooby Regular

I second your comments Bludax and would no doubt recommend the RAC Trackstar - the guy who travelled to my pad to fit the unit was fantastic, I can supply his name and number if required ....

You couldn't tell he'd been in the car, a thorough check is performed as well post-fitting - got for it!

Phil
Old 07 March 2002, 12:15 PM
Jayce
Scooby Newbie

Exclamation

I had one fitted to my Golf V6 4Motion after being jacked last month.

I agree with everyone else. Fitting was a dream, and not a hint of them ever being in the car.

A cautionary note though - I called through to get the locator tested next day, and they told me my car was stationary, 70 miles away from where it actually was. The problem was that the GPS antennae had fallen off, so it only recorded the point at which it fell off the system. No problem though, the whole unit was replaced FOC next day. So I strongly recommend that, post fitting, and after you've been sideways round a few corners, get it tested to ensure it still works OK.
Old 07 March 2002, 12:26 PM
divecon
Scooby Regular

Question

Thanks for the info Jayce, much appreciated!

Do you have to phone them if work is done on the car at any time i.e. battery disconnections or other electrical work? I assume most of this is supplied in some form of manual?

Thanks

Neil
Sussex
Old 07 March 2002, 12:42 PM
Jayce
Scooby Newbie

I would suggest you do, and probably get it tested at least every 2 months anyway. As long as you call direct (not using the breakdown button if you have it installed), they will be happy to test the system whenever you want (just not too frequently).

The "ringfencing" feature is great, where you can call the response centre and tell them your car must not leave a certain pre-defined area (ie a garage while servicing, or airport carpark etc).
Old 07 March 2002, 01:06 PM
gareth
Scooby Regular

Hi

I had Trackstar 24hr Protector fitted at the dealers prior to taking delivery of my MY01 wagon last November. I didn't get any documentation about it from the dealer and after phoning Trackstar a couple of times I've only just received a certificate, card and a very limited manual.

There's a couple of facilities mentioned on this thread that I wasn't aware of (e.g. getting the locator tested, ring-fencing). Just wondered if I should have been told more about how to use the system, and if there's a more detailed manual that I still haven't seen...?

Cheers,
Gareth
Old 07 March 2002, 03:49 PM
Jayce
Scooby Newbie

As far as I know, the dealer who installed the device should have gone through all of its capabilities, but the best thing to remember is that it is an "always on" GPS tracking system, so its options for tracking under the protector/guardian options should be pretty much limitless (ie the system can be programmed for ring fencing etc). If you have any concerns/queries, just call the enquiries line, and they can get the response centre to call you back with an answer.
Old 07 March 2002, 07:01 PM
TBMeech
Scooby Regular

Location: Surrey Somewhere, From 341 bhp '99 STI V to '98 Merc CLK & '00 Peugeot 306 XSI to '01 E46 M3 :)
I've also got a Trackstar fitted to my Sti, went for the interest free option, again as others have said the quality of the fitment is very good, nothing broken and the car put back together properly, guy took his time which is a good thing.
Old 12 March 2002, 01:18 PM
tommy555
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Had trackstar fitted form new by the dealer on my MY01.

Car was stotlen few months ago, usual story broke in the house took the keys. Within 15 mins of being reported stotlen the car was back in my possession with no damage, even got the keys back.

A must for any subaru.
Old 12 March 2002, 02:00 PM
divecon
Scooby Regular

Question

Did the Police get a conviction out of it?

Neil
Old 03 April 2002, 11:56 AM
divecon
Scooby Regular

Question

I'm thinking of going for Trackstar in mi' motor so I was wondering if anyone else has had it done and what the fitting process is about? Any stories about this would be appreciated and knowing that this is a little sensitive if you want to email me directly that is great.

Just need to know if they are going rip my car apart in the process ;-)

Cheers

Neil

[Edited by divecon - 3/4/2002 2:03:35 PM]