Notices

GPS tracking via mobile phone

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2008, 01:29 PM
Spikey73
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS tracking via mobile phone

New to this forum so any help appreciated.

After having my MY04 Impreza stolen 10 days after buying it, I'm after some additional security. It has a toad alarm and trackstar fitted so it was retrieved, but by the time we had got in touch with police and tracker people it was 30 miles away parked up and locked. Our house was broken into (we were asleep upstairs) and the keys taken so had a neighbour not alerted us it could have been a few hours before we had woken to find the car gone.

Does anyone know of a GPS/GSM device that will alert me when the car is moved (including with the keys) with its current position and give me the ability to respond via sms and kill the engine. It strikes me that alarms and trackers are all very well until the thief takes the keys. Had I been alerted by text the moment the car was started then I maybe could have done more to stop the vehicle sooner. Ideally, I want a system that I can set up myself and will alert me direct rather than through a call centre.

There appear to be systems that sort of do the job but I'm wondering if anyone out there has used one.

I've read a little about Blackjax which may do a similar job but get the impression it needs to be fitted in conjunction with a Clifford alarm.

Have had a quick look through previous threads but couldn't see anything, so apologies if it has been covered before.

Ian
Old 13 May 2008, 02:48 PM
Ray T
Scooby Regular

Post something like this?

GSM Alarms & Pagers - Autowatch KS-990

Falcon Predator GSM Car Alarm £199.00 - in-car-stuff.com - Car Security, Multimedia & Styling. In Car DVD Players, TFT Screens, TV Tuners, MP3, VCD, Car Alarms, UK and Ireland delivery

Last edited by Ray T; 13 May 2008 at 02:53 PM.
Old 13 May 2008, 11:26 PM
scoobyverysoon
.......*SMACS*...........

Location: Manchester - Official SMACS Cleaning Freak who suffers from OCD

Blackjax can be fitted as a stand alone and would be your best bet IMO - it saved one of the SMACS members cars from going walkies after they broke into his house and took the keys

A chap did a demo of the alarms where you can kill your engine by phone at one of our meets - looked ok
Old 14 May 2008, 08:47 AM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

the I mob system can be set if the car goes over a set speed it will alert you via a phone call. not a cheap system tho. have an invoice for when the noble one was fitted @ £1200.

i-mob
Old 14 May 2008, 08:49 AM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

Oh and also allows you to immobilise the car too. and listen to whats being said in the car/talk if you want to the occupants.
Old 14 May 2008, 01:16 PM
Spikey73
Scooby Newbie

Smile Nice advice!

Thanks guys!

I'll take a look at what's been suggested. Blackjax looks good especially if it can work alongside the current alarm. I've also found a few GPS/GSM trackers floating around on the internet that alert you if the vehicle goes outside a particular area and allows you to listen in and do various bits and bobs.
Old 14 May 2008, 09:26 PM
deangtiuk
Scooby Regular

You can't go wrong with Blackjax mate also look at Toad text alert I've got one and it is Mintlets you know when car moves and can set of a Negtive feed to operate a relay by text ie imobilizer or siren.
Old 16 May 2008, 12:55 PM
fezza
Scooby Regular

Have a read of this before getting the blackjax... lot of cr*p in the post but you get the general idea. I hope it has improved since then!

https://www.scoobynet.com/security-1...-clifford.html
Old 17 May 2008, 11:15 PM
deangtiuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fezza
Have a read of this before getting the blackjax... lot of cr*p in the post but you get the general idea. I hope it has improved since then!

https://www.scoobynet.com/security-1...-clifford.html
I've had Blackjax on my 3 prev. cars built into either a Concept 600 or 650 and i've never had a problem, but I guess it's like anything its as good as it's installed. Definatly worth it in this day and age i'm thinking.