Notices

Are subarus easy to steal?

Search this Thread

Old 09 December 2007, 10:11 PM
flashgordon666
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are subarus easy to steal?

Ive seen on programs about old cars like rovers, nissans so easy to break into some cars.

but have you ever had anyone breaking into your car?? I mean i guess its just bend door back then get in then rewire ignition right?

Last edited by flashgordon666; 09 December 2007 at 10:11 PM. Reason: hi
Old 09 December 2007, 10:32 PM
satancom
Scooby Regular

Tbh anything without an immobilser/alarm, is fairly simple to steal.. except a few oddities like the citroen bx and some others. I have had to move and start quite a few bangers (legally) and its far to easy.
Old 09 December 2007, 11:00 PM
dan/scooby
Scooby Regular

have been told it is
Old 10 December 2007, 12:31 AM
Jesus H
Scooby Regular

Import ones are really easy to get into and start as they don't have any type of security when they come into the country. UK one's will probably have an alarm as well as the factory immobiliser so they are a bit harder to get away with.
Old 10 December 2007, 01:14 AM
mark.t
Scooby Regular

I work with kids, one of which recently stole an 03 sti and proceeded to hit 145mph on a local bypass whilst being followed by three police cars. They couldnt catch him but arrested him two days later.

Alarm it, immobilise it and defo tracker! After that theres not much can be done!
Old 10 December 2007, 01:33 AM
LegacySTi
Scooby Regular

yes easy to steal...
Old 10 December 2007, 07:37 AM
dan/scooby
Scooby Regular

disc steering lock thing and maybe get a retractable bollard on your drive if you can , it will slow them down BUT if they want it bad enough they will take it
Old 10 December 2007, 11:39 AM
psigeek
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jesus H
Import ones are really easy to get into and start as they don't have any type of security when they come into the country. UK one's will probably have an alarm as well as the factory immobiliser so they are a bit harder to get away with.
Imports have to be fitted with CAT1 alarm/immobiliser to pass the SVA.
Old 10 December 2007, 12:07 PM
finchyboy
Scooby Regular

I don't know the exact figures but i would say that nowadays due to alarm immobilisors the majority of scooby's are stolen with the actual car keys obtained by breaking into the owners property. What's worrying is the increasing amount of these agrivated burglaries. I remember reading about a chap on here that had his front door busted in by a group of scum bags brandishing sledge hammers to obtain his sti keys !!
Old 10 December 2007, 12:15 PM
psigeek
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by finchyboy
I don't know the exact figures but i would say that nowadays due to alarm immobilisors the majority of scooby's are stolen with the actual car keys obtained by breaking into the owners property. What's worrying is the increasing amount of these agrivated burglaries. I remember reading about a chap on here that had his front door busted in by a group of scum bags brandishing sledge hammers to obtain his sti keys !!
That doesn't sound good! Unfortunately my line of work involves me in this sort of crime. STIs are desirable because of their value for performance. Most often though you're quite right finchyboy, they are stolen with keys in what we call creeper burglaries (i.e. you're asleep upstairs at the time).

This'll probably put the frightners on some people but there is no need. Of all the stolen cars I've had to deal with none have been scoobies and of the most secure (Mercs are very good!) they are nicked with keys. I would recommend trackers though, especially those with motion sensor in. They'll alert you if your car is ever moved without keys in (i.e. towed away).
Old 10 December 2007, 12:21 PM
borat52
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by psigeek
Imports have to be fitted with CAT1 alarm/immobiliser to pass the SVA.
But if they are 10 years old they will not need an SVA. Had mine broken into on the drive, I'd been installing a stereo and left it for literally 30 minutes unlocked while I got some food (forgot to lock it) opened the front door and some little chav was sat in the drivers seat with the ignition barel out and a screwdriver in it. Luckily it was cat 1 so was immobilised but if it had not been it would have been gone. Had a look at whats needed to start it and its rediculously easy to get away with one without an immobiliser.
Old 10 December 2007, 12:38 PM
KINGTIGER
Scooby Regular

I've read a thread on here of someone nicking a scooby but down the road the turbo timer kicked in and the car stalled.
Old 10 December 2007, 12:55 PM
psigeek
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by borat52
But if they are 10 years old they will not need an SVA. Had mine broken into on the drive, I'd been installing a stereo and left it for literally 30 minutes unlocked while I got some food (forgot to lock it) opened the front door and some little chav was sat in the drivers seat with the ignition barel out and a screwdriver in it. Luckily it was cat 1 so was immobilised but if it had not been it would have been gone. Had a look at whats needed to start it and its rediculously easy to get away with one without an immobiliser.
Scumbags. Glad they didn't get it away mate.
Old 10 December 2007, 01:48 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Originally Posted by mark.t
Alarm it, immobilise it and defo tracker! After that theres not much can be done!
Forget a Tracker. There's loads to be done to help it prevent it being stolen. I've never had a car stolen, most of my cars have had a disclok on. The Elise I've had and some other cars, I didn't even lock the doors. Take the face off the stereo and put the disclok on. The most theft damage people will have to fork out on in a car will be replacement windows and stereos.
Old 10 December 2007, 02:45 PM
finchyboy
Scooby Regular

I remember the good old days when i had my old mark 1 golf gti i used to just take the short ht lead from the coil to the dizzy out put it in my pocket job was a good one !! The best advise i can give is to take your car keys upstairs with you at night and pop them in the bedside chest donb't leave them on show and make sure if you have one put a chain across the front door. It is unbelievably easy to open a modern double glazed door with a simple stick with a hook on the end through the letter box!!
Old 10 December 2007, 03:38 PM
borat52
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
Forget a Tracker. There's loads to be done to help it prevent it being stolen. I've never had a car stolen, most of my cars have had a disclok on. The Elise I've had and some other cars, I didn't even lock the doors. Take the face off the stereo and put the disclok on. The most theft damage people will have to fork out on in a car will be replacement windows and stereos.
Theres something to be said for leaving the doors unlocked but the car alarmed up. Windows are easy to smash and locks easy to prise open. Thats pretty much where all of the cost of fixing an attempted theft goes as long as the cars cat 1 and the thief is not ultra determined/clever enough to take it.

Having said all of that you have to admire the way jap spec cars dont have alarms/immobilisers and yet their car crime is very low. Could learn a thing or two from their culture.

For the time being I'd favour knocking the thieving sods on the head with a lump of lead, the way I see it I'd never steal someone else's car, and I rekon that goes for 99% of people out there. As soon as we've done away with the minority who do think its ok they wont suddenly be replaced by the likes of me and you fixing the problem indefinately. Think we have as much to blame for not making a stand and forcing our local police to deal with this collectively as the gippos who actually do the crime itself.
Old 10 December 2007, 08:00 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

if you got the keys you can get round the immobiliser side of the sigma alarm thats on subarus with 2 bits of wire!!! but with out the keys it won't start unless they got some special device to plug in to it.
Old 10 December 2007, 08:34 PM
scottstiukppp
Scooby Regular

fit one of these.
https://www.scoobynet.com/security-1...tml?showfull=1
Old 21 December 2007, 04:27 PM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

Me and my mate both used to have AX GT's. We could open and start each others cars with both sets of keys

Worse still was his old Mk2 Cavvy... could start that using his front door key!

Totally agree that better to leave doors unlocked but I just can't bring myself to do it! I've had two cars broken into both causing >250 worth of damage to the door. Second time was to steal 50p out my ashtray .

New cars are a lot better... !!
Old 21 December 2007, 05:38 PM
finchyboy
Scooby Regular

Anybody see crimewatch last night the impreza used in the mobile phone robbery was stolen with the keys obtained from breaking into someone's house. Don't leave you keys laying around downstairs when you go upto bed at night!!!
Old 21 December 2007, 06:27 PM
billyray911
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think a combination of a good alarm with a proximity sensor,blackjax,tracker and a manual immobilyser-barrier deadlock,thatcham approved steering lock etc will put most off.There are ways around it all-its just making it not worth the effort due to time it takes to steal.
I see a lot of vehicles fitted with tracker overcome quite easily-particularly RS4's and the like.
What you've got to bare in mind is that the people who tend to steal subarus and evos will be using them in crime-mainly cash in transit armed robberies and to a lesser extent bdh's.
These people know what car you have as its built into the "tools for their job".Somebody will probably have watched you and as such,will have weighed it up how easy it is to steal your car-from carjacking you-to mainlining your car(burglary).If you make it not worth their while to try and take YOUR car as they are thinking of other things ie going out "earning",then thats all you can hope for and they will move on to someone else.S**tty i know.
Old 21 December 2007, 09:22 PM
scottstiukppp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by finchyboy
Anybody see crimewatch last night the impreza used in the mobile phone robbery was stolen with the keys obtained from breaking into someone's house. Don't leave you keys laying around downstairs when you go upto bed at night!!!

i always take my keys to with me.
Old 22 December 2007, 11:56 AM
bren@apex
Former Sponsor

Our last Impreza Type RA was stolen from outside our house. It had a Disclock and a Toad Cat 1 alarm. Both are evidently a joke, all that remained of the car was a short length of wire that had been ripped out of the back of the siren
Old 22 December 2007, 12:17 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Strange, everything I've read about Discloks say they are very very noisy to get off and take several minutes. But I suppose anything you do will be overcome by determined and knowlegable theives.
Old 22 December 2007, 12:34 PM
bren@apex
Former Sponsor

I would have thought it was just peeled back like a banana. The point is that dont for a second assume your cars secure because its got a Cat 1 alarm and a Disklock because its not. I waited three years until I got a house with an intergral garage complete with its own alarm system before buying another Impreza, theres no way Id leave one outside again.
Old 22 December 2007, 05:36 PM
WRXshaneWRX
Scooby Regular

i have removable steering wheel, alarm & imob then keep the keys in my room next to my batt and gun...not much else you can do really
Old 22 December 2007, 08:16 PM
matttp1
Scooby Regular

I left my P1 on the road for 14 months in Hull(remember second worse place in britain to live). I had standard alarm up until this year when some scum screw drivered the bonnet vents out, so changed alarm but have left it unlocked think i was lucky and have moved to a house with garage, flood lights and alarms and gates still set the alarm in garage
Old 23 December 2007, 12:07 AM
Tommitchelldrum
Scooby Regular

I think that keys should always be taken upstairs with you at night (unless you live in a bungalow )

I use a disklock over the steering wheel job. It would be quite hard to get off I would think.

Trackers are good in my opinion. My dad's BMW got nicked while he was asleep. They put some kind of rod through the letter box, took the keys and drove it off. Funny thing is it ran out of fuel a mile down the road. Because it had a Tracker they found it really quickly before they came back for it!!
Old 23 December 2007, 09:08 AM
bren@apex
Former Sponsor

On some of our cars left outside I use a removable steering wheel AND a Disclok dangling over the steering boss. Sounds perverse but the criminals dont know the cars not got a wheel until they get in. They dont come prepared with a spare wheel to fit to the car as they would if they can see theres no wheel so theyre screwed.
Old 03 January 2008, 10:28 AM
simog
Scooby Regular

That was mine! Saved my car it did!! Guess the theif had never seen one before and didn't know why it was flashing.

After seeing what is behind all the plastic trim, and the ease at which I could start my car using the same method the theif did, I am amazed it is still on my drive! Boomabitch I call it, because it keeps coming back to me!!

Going another route now to detatch the wiring for the start signal from the barrel and fit a push start in a not so obvious place. Sure it wont stop them but it might confuse them long enough for them to give up.

The longer they are sat in the car trying to nick it, the more likely it is that they will give up and move on IMO.

Originally Posted by KINGTIGER
I've read a thread on here of someone nicking a scooby but down the road the turbo timer kicked in and the car stalled.

Quick Reply: Are subarus easy to steal?