Notices

whats make Immobilser fitted as standard?

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2002, 03:06 PM
peccy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

just insured my scooby MY00 - Turbo 2000 (£1200 fc, 26 3yrs ncb) and the insurance are asking what make and model immobiliser is fitted as standard,

it is operated with the fob, heard it might be one of the Sigma models???

ta, dave.
Old 14 January 2002, 04:19 PM
Nick@avs
Scooby Regular

Sigma M30 Category One is installed as standard. The vehicle also has a transponder immobiliser factory fitted (made by Mitsubishi).
These alarms are very reliable and can be upgraded with telephone dialers, window closers, anti-jacking sensors, etc.
Old 14 January 2002, 04:56 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

Yep its a sigma M30 and sorry to say but get something decent fitted....
All factory alarms are fitted the same way and id not keep something like that sigma on if you live in a higher risk area than most people do.
Look at upgrading to something a little better or atleast get a Blackjax anti hijack fitted (clifford make em) for a little extra security (then add disklok etc until your cars covered )

Tony
Old 14 January 2002, 06:18 PM
Nick@avs
Scooby Regular

Come on Tony take them blinkers off mate ! Removing the Sigma and installing a Clifford will do nothing to enhance the security of this car. It is more likely that you'll end up with a right pigs ear of an installation, that now makes the car unreliable. (The reliability issue is one of the strong selling points of Subaru) The old saying,"if it aint broke don't fix it" is the best advice here, as the car maybe still be under warranty. Replacing this system for the sake of it would be crazy. Many insurers now insist on tracking systems, this would positively enhance the security. I always advise investing in a safe (keypad type)securely sited and anchored to secure your keys when not in use. I can't see the benefit of steering locks, when the car is immobilised.
Old 14 January 2002, 06:25 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

I'm interested in the upgrades that can be done to the M30's.

Any links anywhere?
Old 16 January 2002, 02:57 PM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Question

Err, but its not a factory alarm. It is fitted after the vehicle is imported to UK. At least mine was MY99 RB5.
Old 16 January 2002, 04:35 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

Beastie, yup it is an after market fit but its done by the same people, they fit the same alarm day in and day out, what it doesnt mean is that its that good!

Nick, i could sit here and say this 1000 times, its a cat1 alarm, but some cat1's are better than others!!
Look what you get with the sigma, then look what you get with a clifford
The clifford is IMHO a MUCH better alarm (if installed correctly) than the standard sigma, but with cars like ours 3 point immobilisation/visable deterrants and as much incapacitating immobilisation is esential.
Only yesterday did some guy have his S reg scoob stolen in manchester, hit on his arm with an ajustable spanner breaking it, now if that would have been my car it wouldnt have got far down the road before it would have cut out, giving me plenty of time to call the police and be out of harms way, as it was this guy has lost his uk car, sigma m30 and all
Have a tracking system fitted by all means but the best deterrant is not letting them get the car in the first place!!

Tony