Notices

Valentine 1 Radar Detector

Search this Thread

Old 22 September 2007, 03:04 PM
bmac800
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valentine 1 Radar Detector

Anyone got one of these and if so how are they impressed with it - it gets great reviews.I am considering buying one from the US (half price) with the Euro spec settings.

Cheers
Old 22 September 2007, 07:34 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

yes a great detector ......but it sometime pick up other signals that set it off
but we can live with that
will detect almost everything !...but not a gps unit
Old 23 September 2007, 12:39 AM
bmac800
Scooby Regular

If you go to the bottom of this page it says you can turn off the x band which causes most of the false alarms.
UK Speedtrap Guide. radar detector comparison, compare radar detector, gatso, speeding, speedtrap, gatso camera, blinder, uk speed trap, speed trap uk
Old 23 September 2007, 11:22 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

To be honest mate would seriously consider getting a a bit more advice regards actually buying a radar detector as such these days, reason being as am almost 100% sure they are now illegal to use here in the uk ( someone please correct me if I am wrong ?? ) if not illegal I know they are planning to do so very soon. also for the fact that I have yet to find a detector and I have owned loads off them over the years ( top off the range Bell, snooper, uniden etc ) that you dont end up switching off due to there constant false alerts !! fair enough you can switch off certain bands but can almost still guarntee you that the detector will still annoy you so much with false alerts that you will end up switching it off which kinda defeats the purpose does it not ??!!

know someone who had the v1 up until a year ago and although yes its performance was excellent for gatso etc warnings the unit did not detect specs cameras etc which no detector off this type will do its laser performance like every other detector is well its normally too late to react if the unit does detect the laser signal, so that rules laser out as well, do you really want to spend this sort off money just to let you know where all the gatsos are which you probably know already on 99% off your journeys !!

again ask around but in my view anyway detectors are outdated here in the uk hence the reason that most off the main sellers Networx etc have moved over to selling gps based detection systmns which give you all the warnings you require for gatso, specs, mobile , temp etc and with no false alerts !! added to this you will never require the use off another book style map in the car again !!

can thoroughly recommend the TOMTOM ONE V2 for all the above, monthly updates off all the speed cameras etc and again best off all no constantly beeping at you every two mintes !!

if you do still want to go the v1 route then check out youtube website some nice clips off the unit working well over in the us but bear this in mind its working in the us and not the uk there is a lot off difference in so many ways.

anyone elseagrea with my above comments regards radar detectors now being outdated ??
Old 23 September 2007, 11:29 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

yea fair comment ...but I 've both a gps detector and a V1 in my car .
the V1 in the most effective imho
plus saving your driving licience ....priceless (especiallly in a High powered scoob )
Old 24 September 2007, 12:47 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay mate appreciatte your comments, just wonder why you think that the V1 is more effective than the gps detector given that the gps detector can detect more types off speed detection than the v1 and also can be set at exactly the same or even further off a warning distance than the gps one ??

as I say appreciatte that even after all these years the V1 is still regarded as the best radar detector money can buy but again would be interested to find why you think its more effective than the alternative ??

lastly, what about false alerts with the V1 ?? - surely you cant say that you dont get them enough to upon occasions have to actually switch off the radar detector ie. when in town centres / ind. estates etc ??
Old 24 September 2007, 05:29 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

the V1 will not "alert" if it is passing a dummy speed detector ( ie one that is only there as a deterrent , and do not take photos, hence really a false alert if you are using a GPS type ).
it will only sound if it is passing a geniune (working ) detector .
regarding fale alert on the V1 is only set off by automatic door system and such like so really only if yr very close to the shops will it actually sound off .....plus I rather its goes off than not !(if yr in centre of town its is highly unlikely that yr speed is over the normal speed limits unless to are a hooligan

Last edited by bighead; 24 September 2007 at 05:34 PM.
Old 25 September 2007, 09:35 PM
darms
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I picked up a V1 while I was in vegas over 4yrs ago. Great price and valentine research didn't mind shipping it directly to the hotel

I also sent it back last year for a software upgrade (to inc pop) and general service and check of the unit=great service. Performance wise its great, but am considering investing in a gps based device to run along side it.
Old 26 September 2007, 01:56 PM
Scooby Senior

the V1 was the dogs a few years ago, not sure how things have moved on, but assume the police gear hasn't been updated, so all should be well with the V1

Can't see any reason why the V1 isn't still the dogs

also, don't think they are illegal as it doesn't interfere with the signals, jammers are, but nearly undetectable