Notices

Which tracker is better

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2002, 04:18 PM
BL
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finanlly decided to buy one of these trackers. Which is best?? Need everyones experiences & recommendations. Thanks

Tracker Monitor
RAC Trackstar
Navtrak

Old 09 January 2002, 11:26 AM
TBMeech
Scooby Regular

Location: Surrey Somewhere, From 341 bhp '99 STI V to '98 Merc CLK & '00 Peugeot 306 XSI to '01 E46 M3 :)
I have just gone for the Rac Trackstar Guardian Protector jobbie, have done it on the 0% finance deal, £80 deposit, 36x £25 or so, includes lifetime subscription, I had spoken to Navitrak etc, but the Rac one swinged me with the 0% makes it a lot more affordable, plus it's got some nice features too
Old 09 January 2002, 01:21 PM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

The RAC Trackstar Protector is recommended by Subaru (leaflets in the dealers with box badges on it) - They put it on all the P1s as standard.

The Trackstar uses ex-American military satelites and is accurate between 0-5 metres (0m being where the box is inside the car).

Installation should take about two hours and they won't tell you were they put it either!

Mark
Old 12 January 2002, 02:28 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool

To be honest, the Navtrak uses the same satelites but it's down to cost/service & whether you want a tracker that uses Geofence to advise of theft (moved from last location without starting car [toeing, pushing etc] @ approx 1/4 mile) or car started without disabling the tracking unit.

RAC Trackstar does geofence.
Navtrak does disable before starting.

In theory you could hot-wire the Trackstar car & drive off free OR nick the keys. The Navtrak car comes with an additional sensor that is (should) be kept separate from the main keys & without de-activation, goes off.

None of them are totally invincible but you're reducing the risks of losing your car.

For the keen amongst you, I am able to get the DIY type version - no central bureau. Buy the unit (1 off cost), fit & put in a P&G sim card & off you go. Well, poss a bit more complicated as a large number of sensors are available. Alarm goes off? Mobile phone call to you. Put it in for service & on the "test-run" it exceeds 70mph? Mobile phone to call you. Using a lap-top & suitable software (£35?), you can track the progress of your vehicle anywhere in the country. Any other sensors? Ideas? Possibilities are endless, including remote start/stop & two-way communication (with the thieves ).

I would not wish to sell this device to anyone of the "vigilante" brigade for obvious reasons, but it's amazing what you can do. Also unlikely to be Thatcham Q approved for insurers but I might be wrong.

This is available now, but in a few weeks I should have the prototype running of a continuous tracking device that is really cheap to run & as above, flexible in its abilities

Old 29 January 2002, 04:50 PM
breezer
Scooby Regular

What about all this new bluetooth, 802.11b and other wireless networking protocols. Would have to wait for more ground stations but they look like a great idea waiting to be used for car security comms paths. Or as a backup to existing ones. Could put a camera in the car and get it to take a pic of the driver as evidence.
Old 30 January 2002, 06:25 PM
NM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Found this out the other day, it compares most systems that are available at the moment.

http://www.ktfinlay.freeserve.co.uk/tracks/

At the end of the day do you want it for peace of mind or to enable you to actually insure the car. End of the day cheapest looks like the Tracker Retrieve at £269 fitting and £99/yr for cover. Does the basics for insurance purposes.

Cheers

Neal