Notices

RAC Trackstar - Beware!

Search this Thread

Old 05 July 2007, 08:13 AM
davcom
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RAC Trackstar - Beware!

Read quite a few posts about RAC Trackstar / Trafficmaster now and they dont appear to be very good.
Main reason for this, post is to let you know that they WILL scam you if they are given the chance.

Basically, bought my 06 STi 2 weeks ago and I rang up to get my tracker put back online. They needed to run a test track on the car before they could process my subscription. They did this 3 times over the next day and they said they were all unsuccesful and that they need to send an engineer out to the car at a cost to me of £80 plus VAT. Told them to p*ss off and I want a copy of their warranty agreement.
In the mean time Told Subaru taht they need to fix it or give me a refund for the car. Subaru checked out the unit and all appeared ok. They said if still playing up that I need to get RAC Trackstar to come and fix it under warranty. I told Subaru that they said it is only covered by 12 months and it was at that point that they rang the area manager and said,
"RAC have done it again".
Basically Subaru have a warranty agreement in place with RAC Trackstar for a duration fo 3 years (same as warranty on the car). They said that RAC Trackstar always try and pull the wool over your eyes and have conned loads of Subaru customers to date out of this £80 charge.

Now what gets me is I was in the car when they ran the 3 test tracks and the car beeped so I know they connected successfully.

Armed with this information, I rand back RAC and told them that the unit is faulty and need an engineer to come and fix my unit under warranty. They took my reg plate details and confirmed my car details as "Subaru Impreza WRX STi". She then said that the car is 12 months old and out of warranty. I then explained that "RAC have a written warrwanty agreement with Subaru and the duration is actually 3 years".
The operator then said "Oh, is it a Subaru?" - YOU JUST TOLD ME WHAT CAR IT WAS YOU SILLY COW!

Seems to me they are just out to make money. If my car insurance was not dependant on the tracker I would have told them to f*** off.

As it stands an engineer is coming out straight away to fix/replace the unit (evn though I dont think that it is actually faulty).

Bloody Con Merchants - SO BEWARE
Old 05 July 2007, 08:17 AM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

good info bud
Old 05 July 2007, 08:53 AM
COLZO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will keep this in mind. Great info mate.
Old 05 July 2007, 09:13 AM
swampster
Scooby Regular

Now all that will happen is... if your car gets nicked, they have it on record that you didn't pay up the £80 they tried to con out of you and oddly won't be able to tell the car has been nicked or where its gone!
Old 05 July 2007, 09:29 AM
davcom
Scooby Regular

In which case, we have a legal dispute on our hands as they have failed to execute thier side of the contract, hence a breach of contract claim.

Now, under such circumstances, I'd be more than happy to take them to court and claim damages (which would be the value of the car should it nto be recovered, or for any malicious damage incurred due to them not tracing the car in adequate time).

That said, they also state in their T&C's that they do not guarantee to find your car. what a cop out.
Old 05 July 2007, 11:51 AM
simo
Scooby Regular

Other side to the coin. Mine unit played up when the car was under 3 years old. 1 phone call later and an engineer was booked and the unit was replaced a few days later.

No cost to me, all under warranty
Old 05 July 2007, 03:09 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

I have had mine sorted out under warranty before, no issues with them on that front at all.

Like Simo says, 2 sided coin.