Notices

whats the best alarm

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2007, 04:25 PM
andyseston
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats the best alarm

i want to put a new alarm on my 99my sti but not sure what make to use and what sort of price i am looking at.

cheers
Old 20 June 2007, 12:15 PM
MotorG Raf
Scooby Regular

Go for clifford or viper. Best alarms at the moment. With the clifford concept 650 you get blackjax anti-hijack and with the viper you will get the LCD 2 way pager. With them both you have the option to add turbo timer of the alarm
Old 20 June 2007, 03:50 PM
Daft Lad
Scooby Regular

Just had a Clifford Concept 650 with turbo timer and dual zone proximity sensors fitted up at Scoobyclinic, and cannot recommend it highly enough
Old 20 June 2007, 05:55 PM
scooby2.5maz
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Daft Lad
Just had a Clifford Concept 650 with turbo timer and dual zone proximity sensors fitted up at Scoobyclinic, and cannot recommend it highly enough

i 2nd that. had mine fitted for few months now, no probs.
Old 20 June 2007, 07:22 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like anything it depends on who's put it in, a laserline can be better if put in properly over a clifford thats been put in badly, you want someone who knows cliffords inside out, expensive but the best

Tony
Old 21 June 2007, 09:54 AM
MotorG Raf
Scooby Regular

Just go to an authorised dealer and you should be ok.

Clifford (United Kingdom) - Car & Motorcycle Security - find your local dealer
Old 23 June 2007, 05:07 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Yup I have the Clifford G5 650MkII fitted to mine, complete with blackjax, duel prox and other toys
And the funky new remote lol.

I would recommend a well fitted Clifford anyday
The new GSM module they are offering is a trick bit of kit too
Old 25 June 2007, 12:00 PM
MotorG Raf
Scooby Regular

the new remotes are very classy.
Old 25 June 2007, 04:12 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

I have a Clifford Concept 650 dual zone proximity sensors and I love it. I had it fitted my In Car Electronics in St. Albans last year and it has been great. I love the fact that when you walk buy and ponder for a moment, it churps at you.

what are the new remotes like? From the pictures they look a lot bigger that the older ones.
Old 25 June 2007, 04:47 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Na similar size mate Will sort a pic asap
Old 25 June 2007, 05:06 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Here ya go, pic of the new remotes next to the standard subaru key.

CSOC Gallery - Random/normal Image125

Old 25 June 2007, 09:33 PM
bigdavep1
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=Snazy;7051614]Here ya go, pic of the new remotes next to the standard subaru key.

CSOC Gallery - Random/normal Image125

the old remotes were always sensitive in ya pocket eg the buttons raised too much so i was always alarming/disarming whilst in my pocket are the new ones the same??
Old 26 June 2007, 11:28 AM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Its just longer compared to the older model which is oblong shape.
Old 26 June 2007, 01:25 PM
MotorG Raf
Scooby Regular

also look a lot more classy then the old carbon fibre remote fobs
Old 26 June 2007, 01:34 PM
tronlc
Scooby Regular

Not fussy on Clifford, the main control module is HUGE!, much rather a small module (selca I believe or Cobra) as they can be hidden away in better places..
Old 26 June 2007, 03:41 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tronlc
Not fussy on Clifford, the main control module is HUGE!, much rather a small module (selca I believe or Cobra) as they can be hidden away in better places..
I would hardly call 8 or 9" x 5 or 6" HUGE.
Besides, ripping the brain out does not bypass the immobiliser circuits or anything, so finding the brain is almost pointless.

Once its behind the dash, its serving its purpose. If you get to the level of paranoia that says its too easy to find, sell the car
If the theif has enough time to locate the alarm brain, the car is in a lockup somewhere.

As for the remote, they are a lot less likely to press buttons in your pocket, but I would always reprogram the buttons anyway to make theft with keys even harder
Old 26 June 2007, 08:59 PM
tronlc
Scooby Regular

mmm its all part of the alarms "security". If they cant find the module easily, they wont know what they are dealing with etc, whereas the cliffor modules are that lage they are very hard to hide, for example you couldnt easily hid them esp in small cubby holes...

Id rather something that can be easily hidden away. I dare say there are only a few places the main installers fit them (which will be common knowledge to fitters and the like) and I bet they immobilise in the same places for ease of install!
Old 27 June 2007, 12:38 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

There is a mass of space behind the dashboard.
Finding the brain solves nothing for them. I dont see how its relevant.
Cliffords also are the only ones with a blue LED, so does that cause an issue too ?

If they are in your car and pulling your dashboard apart, the primary function of your alarm has failed... PERIOD... What happens next dont really matter, your gonna be making an insurance claim.

I cant see someone breaking into your car, pulling your car apart rewiring the entire immobiliser circuits, just to steal it.

Like I say, the brain of the alarm and its size is irrelivant.
However if it IS important, dont forget that the Clifford G5 650II is steel plated to prevent tamper.
Old 27 June 2007, 06:27 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Depends if the brain has a connector plug, which most moden units do (unlike older thatcham units that had no connectors at all)

Plug in new brain, set into valet mode, away you go. So in some cases location is of utmost importance.

BTW..TOAD, preferably an Ai606, less features, but solid, add a Toad GSM pager (or Ai606 interactive) unit if you want paging capeability.

Last edited by Shark Man; 27 June 2007 at 06:29 PM.
Old 27 June 2007, 06:31 PM
tronlc
Scooby Regular

Also the size of the clifford units means it could only go behind the glove box, or perhaps around the steering column, either way you could touch the unit in seconds and as was said put a different module in place in valet mode, OR some ready made terminating blocks... Either way would get around it in a handfull of mins.

I have installed an imob with a small control box in a very unusual location, and there is no way you could put a module the size of Cliffords there.
Old 27 June 2007, 10:54 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

lol fair enough... I have always been fine with Cliffords, but quite clearly im wrong

I bow to the superior knowledge.

Like I say though, once they are in the car and dismantling it, the alarm has served its purpose.
Old 27 June 2007, 11:04 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Just one point, what is the facination with people carrying a spare brain with them?
The brain for mine is neither just behind the glove box, nor just under the steering column.
With reference to Thatcham units, the 650 IS a Thatcham unit, and if it was really that easy to bypass, im sure it would never have got its rating.

Lets be realistic now... how many theives go out equipt with a collection of alarm brains that they can hot swap to nick a car. Its a deterrant... not a perfect complete anti theft mission impossible unit.

With reference to carrying connector blocks with you... Errm, what is that gonna do exactly?
A wire receives a cut, the better the installer the harder to find the cut. There are 2 or 3 points in the set up so you would need to know which and where the cuts were to repair them.

Anyway we could argue the point forever lol.

Thatcham recognise the system as Cat 1
My insurance accept it as suitable
The features it offers fulfil my requirements
And its a reliable system

lol I have now said my peace.
Old 28 June 2007, 08:48 AM
Jesus H
Scooby Regular

Also the size of the clifford units means it could only go behind the glove box, or perhaps around the steering column, either way you could touch the unit in seconds and as was said put a different module in place in valet mode, OR some ready made terminating blocks... Either way would get around it in a handfull of mins.

I have installed an imob with a small control box in a very unusual location, and there is no way you could put a module the size of Cliffords there.

Total rubbish. You obviously have no idea what your talking about.
Old 28 June 2007, 09:30 AM
tronlc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jesus H
Total rubbish. You obviously have no idea what your talking about.

There we go another of the muppets on here not willing to have a useful discussion about something rather important, its no wonder this forum has quite a bad reptuation amongst the professionals when people like you reply with comments like this.
Old 28 June 2007, 09:34 AM
tronlc
Scooby Regular

snazy:

Yip agree with most of what you say!

Just thinking along the lines of the best security and what I would prefer, ie a large box, or a small box easier to hide!

Also never understood why the need a box that size, think how small they could make it!

Thatchum.. hummm look at all the stuff thats happened in the past with secure devices look at sold secure with chains, look at the old vectr imob fitted on the cosworths and the whispers about certain current imobs weaknesses!
Old 28 June 2007, 12:33 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Did just write a big long reply and the stupid ****e computer lost it all!!

Will reply later lol
Old 28 June 2007, 12:44 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Sod it, what I said in short was.

Fair play mate, not saying your wrong to have your preference.

Thatcham is VERY basic, with even the highest levels being pretty low protection, but only tested against basic theft attempts.
A couple of minutes of resistance to theft is an amazing level of protection according to the experts.

Immobilising devices, electronic and physical are only a deterrant and will never stop someone who WANTS what you have.

Personally if I am paying to have a decent security system fitted, I would rather benefit from it at the same time, with GSM contact, boot pop, and other sensors such as digitial tilt and motion. All running from the one device. hence the bigger brain.

Same with the tracker, Trackstar offers SafeSpeed and Emergency and Breakdown which I use, all running off the basic tracker install.
Old 28 June 2007, 07:03 PM
Jesus H
Scooby Regular

There we go another of the muppets on here not willing to have a useful discussion about something rather important, its no wonder this forum has quite a bad reptuation amongst the professionals when people like you reply with comments like this.
What about under the seat? Would it not fit there?

Or Maybe behind the clocks? Plenty space up there. Beside the cars ECU? Under the center console? hmmm loads of places it could go.

If you can only think of the two common ones that nobody uses then I would take a guess that you don't work in the security field.
Old 28 June 2007, 07:48 PM
tronlc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jesus H
What about under the seat? Would it not fit there?

Or Maybe behind the clocks? Plenty space up there. Beside the cars ECU? Under the center console? hmmm loads of places it could go.

If you can only think of the two common ones that nobody uses then I would take a guess that you don't work in the security field.
There is no way you will get the clifford module behind the clocks its too big, under the seat yes, BUT you would have to extend the imob circuits in all probability thus making the thatchum approval void. Also you have the risk of water damage there. By the ecu all well and good but again the modul would be too big to fit it there.
Old 28 June 2007, 08:56 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Beg to differ, I reckon it would fit behind the clocks.
My installer unlike some others (but not all) is almost **** about it.
He will always do things slightly differently, and goes to any lengths to hide important parts.
The brain is not much bigger than the average paperback book, and im pretty sure you can fit a few of those behind the dash.

Waterproofing, I would think most components offer a little splash proof protection. However if my floor of my car was getting wet, again I would be a little more concerned about the car and the river im sitting in the middle of, than if my immobiliser is going to work.

As I have said, this facination about making the brain invisible is almost pointless.
In the 80's there was a company called Moss, remember it. They were at the forefront of car security and sold WIRELESS remote controlled alarms, with ULTRASONIC sensors.... state of the art. You saw a car with an alarm and it was safe as the crown jewels.

Things have moved on a long way now. The primary function of an alarm is to stop opportunists popping your window and nicking your headunit.
Immobilisers are fitted as standard, to stop Charlie next door taking your can for a drive while your asleep.
Trackers are for finding the car (hopefully) when you find its gone.

The dream of a SECURE car is destroyed by the invention of the flat bed with the grabber.... If they want it, they are taking it.. Alarms, immobilisers etc stop opportunists... Nothing more.

I can see where you are coming from, I really can, but its an almost invalid point. Once they are in your car, they are almost commited to taking it.
Honestly..... when was the last time you heard of a car being stolen after the immobiliser was rewired, circuits completed and car started and driven away?

Quick Reply: whats the best alarm